VOGONS

First post, by eyalk4568

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know it might be a stupid question but I still wanted to ask it here.
Can you use an optical mouse with a CRT, or can it cause some magnetic interference?

Reply 1 of 9, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You normally use an optical mouse with a table or a mouse pad, just like you would with a normal mouse.
Using it with a crt might work, I never tried it. Could be a bit awkward though, since most crts have a slightly curved surface.
The magnetic interference won't be a problem. the degaus coils might cause enough voltage spikes to be harmful but that would only be when the monitor is turned on or the degaus button is pressed, or the degaus circuitry is misbehaving and firing randomly.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 9, by eyalk4568

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2023-07-11, 16:28:

You normally use an optical mouse with a table or a mouse pad, just like you would with a normal mouse.
Using it with a crt might work, I never tried it. Could be a bit awkward though, since most crts have a slightly curved surface.
The magnetic interference won't be a problem. the degaus coils might cause enough voltage spikes to be harmful but that would only be when the monitor is turned on or the degaus button is pressed, or the degaus circuitry is misbehaving and firing randomly.

🤣 I didn't mean on it I meant near it.

Reply 4 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you won't have an issue at all, being using crts+optical mice for decades at this point

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 9, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eyalk4568 wrote on 2023-07-11, 17:44:
weedeewee wrote on 2023-07-11, 16:28:

🤣 I didn't mean on it I meant near it.

Well, duuh. 😎

rasz_pl wrote on 2023-07-11, 19:28:

but how do magnets work?

They don't. They just sit there being all attractive and cute.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 8 of 9, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My very first mouse bought in 1991 was an Artec serial optical mouse and required a reflective grid underneath; it is still working and stored in my parents' house. My first LCD monitor came in more than a decade later.

I'm more curious about the reasonings behind your thought on optical mouse causing magnetic interference.

Reply 9 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

THanks all ! I needed a good laugh 😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun