VOGONS

First post, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi everyone!

I'm currently trying to get a "modern" Gotek working in a 286 PC.
As it turns out, it's the Atery model, with half the RAM (32 vs 64KB)..
Does anybody, by any chance, has it working in a 286 or higher PC?

I've already checked the jumpers, drive is correctly on S1 (IBM PC Standard).
Cable is a simple, straight one, without a twist. The PC works fine with a real 1,44MB drive and 1,44 MB floppy.
- Just not with the Gotek/FlashFloppy.

When doing a DIR: on DOS prompt, all files in the image are garbled/corrupted.
Formatting via FORMAT works until you're asked for a LABEL.
Then, DOS will throw an write error. Bypassing the error causes FORMAT to cancel everything (says, Sector 0 is corrupted).

Does anybody know about this issue?
I'm an old Gotek/FlashFloppy user, but haven't been up-to-date since about 2-3 years.
The old Goteks didn't behave that weird, I think. Could the low RAM be the issue?

I've found a quick summary/thread in an Amiga forum that explains the shortcomings of that poor Atery Gotek model (AT32F415 MCU, SFRKC30.AT2 board ?).

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1596913

If I understand, merely 8KB of RAM are left for caching floppy i/o on such a weak "COVID-19" model .
This worries me, because on a 286 PC, I'm using HD/high-bandwidth images (1,44MB and 500KBits).
An IBM PC with 360KB images and half the bandwidth may still work with the tiny cache, by contrast, not sure.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome. 🙂
Jo22

PS: I've successful done the speaker mod.
I can hear the floppy seek during POST.
The PC itself does NOT complain about an FDC or floppy error (A: is first boot drive).

Edit: Pictures added.

Attachments

• go32_display.jpg
    Filename
    go32_display.jpg
    File size
    181.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • go32_format.jpg
    Filename
    go32_format.jpg
    File size
    344.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • go32_format2.jpg
    Filename
    go32_format2.jpg
    File size
    227.56 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • go32_dir.jpg
    Filename
    go32_dir.jpg
    File size
    924.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • go32_board.jpg
    Filename
    go32_board.jpg
    File size
    192.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 13, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried configuring the gotek (assuming it's flashed with FlashFloppy firmware) via FF.CFG?

https://github.com/keirf/flashfloppy/wiki/FF. … figuration-File

Last few drives I got also were of the newer design with artery MCUs and jumpers didn't do much. I had to configure them via this config file. Basically you set options you want (for instance the type of drive to emulate, ibmpc, amiga...), put it in the root of USB stick, plug it in and turn on the Gotek. It will read it and flash it. After that it should work. You don't need to have this file on stick (else it will reflash every time).

Reply 2 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Solo761 wrote on 2023-07-21, 10:35:

Have you tried configuring the gotek (assuming it's flashed with FlashFloppy firmware) via FF.CFG?

https://github.com/keirf/flashfloppy/wiki/FF. … figuration-File

Last few drives I got also were of the newer design with artery MCUs and jumpers didn't do much. I had to configure them via this config file. Basically you set options you want (for instance the type of drive to emulate, ibmpc, amiga...), put it in the root of USB stick, plug it in and turn on the Gotek. It will read it and flash it. After that it should work. You don't need to have this file on stick (else it will reflash every time).

Hi there! Thanks for the tip! It's a good one! 😃
I tried that out, but I still get the garbled output..

Maybe it's also because of the quickness of that 286.
It runs at 16 MHz (CPU), with everything else at zero wait state.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 13, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried that gotek on another computer? Since real floppy drive works there is a chance it's defective 🤔.

I haven't got any 286s so can't try, 486 is oldest I have and haven't had an issue with goteks and that one.

Reply 4 of 13, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-07-22, 04:07:

Isn't this detail is abstracted by the floppy controller? The floppy drive itself has nothing to do with the CPU or ISA bus at all.
The controller may have issues though when running outside of some specs (ISA clock speed, etc).

Reply 5 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vstrakh wrote on 2023-07-24, 08:29:

Isn't this detail is abstracted by the floppy controller? The floppy drive itself has nothing to do with the CPU or ISA bus at all.
The controller may have issues though when running outside of some specs (ISA clock speed, etc).

Floppy uses DMA. The DMA controller uses 4.77 MHz strictly, so that shouldn't be an issue.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 6 of 13, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
root42 wrote on 2023-07-24, 08:35:

Floppy uses DMA.

It's not the floppy drive, but floppy controller who uses DMA.
Whatever issues that might be related to CPU/bus speed - those shouldn't leak into the floppy drive side, so no point suspecting the system speed as the cause of problems for the floppy drive.
So either you suspect Gotek being faulty, or floppy controller issues with the system speed.

Reply 7 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vstrakh wrote on 2023-07-24, 08:47:
It's not the floppy drive, but floppy controller who uses DMA. Whatever issues that might be related to CPU/bus speed - those sh […]
Show full quote
root42 wrote on 2023-07-24, 08:35:

Floppy uses DMA.

It's not the floppy drive, but floppy controller who uses DMA.
Whatever issues that might be related to CPU/bus speed - those shouldn't leak into the floppy drive side, so no point suspecting the system speed as the cause of problems for the floppy drive.
So either you suspect Gotek being faulty, or floppy controller issues with the system speed.

vstrakh wrote on 2023-07-24, 08:29:

Thanks guys for taking your time ! 🙂
I re-installed the previous 1,44MB floppy drive (Teac FD-235HF) and it works fine.
I've done a simple test with a DIR of a 720 KB formatted 1,44MB floppy and another one with CheckIt!
CheckIt ran in read-only mode, because I had no blank diskette at hand right now.

Attachments

• fd_hw.jpg
    Filename
    fd_hw.jpg
    File size
    344.35 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Teac FD-235HF
    File license
    Public domain
  • fd_dir.jpg
    Filename
    fd_dir.jpg
    File size
    1.02 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    720KB floppy
    File license
    Public domain
  • fd_checkit_read.jpg
    Filename
    fd_checkit_read.jpg
    File size
    988.82 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    CheckIt! v3 (no write test)
    File license
    Public domain

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 13, by ciornyi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hey did you removed this jumper ?
As i have one installed in yellow square

Attachments

• go32_board.jpg
    Filename
    go32_board.jpg
    File size
    235.03 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

DOS: 166mmx/16mb/Y719/S3virge
DOS/95: PII333/128mb/AWE64/TNT2M64
Win98: P3_900/256mb/SB live/3dfx V3
Win Me: Athlon 1700+/512mb/Audigy2/Geforce 3Ti200
Win XP: E8600/4096mb/SB X-fi/HD6850

Reply 9 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm probably not being very useful here (because I'm not familiar with the recent Gotek models and hardware revisions) but.. Isn't there a whole new firmware by Flash-Floppy for these devices?

EDIT: Yes, I just checked and:

To support older versions of the FlashFloppy bootloader, two types of Update file are included in the distribution, distinguisha […]
Show full quote

To support older versions of the FlashFloppy bootloader, two types of
Update file are included in the distribution, distinguishable by name:
FF_Gotek-*.upd: Legacy Update file
- All STM32F105/AT32F415 devices
flashfloppy-*.upd: Universal Update file
- All AT32F435 devices
- STM32F105/AT32F415 devices running a recent FlashFloppy bootloader

You need to flash the FF_Gotek-*.upd t othat device instead of flashfloppy-*.upd

EDIT2: I noticed you are using the 4.x experimental branch, try using the latest version from the stable branch (3.41) instead? Specifically because this release mentions fixing some timing issues for AT32F415 that you have..

** v3.41 - 14 July 2023
- AT32F415: Fix timer handling since clock speed increase (v3.39).
- LCD: Faster power-on initialisation. Don't wait for display to clear.

EDIT3: Also, the Flash-Floppy git wiki has this to say about the AT32F415 MC:

Artery AT32F415
Starting Spring 2021, the STM32F105 microcontroller previously used has been replaced with Artery AT32F415 due to cost and availability. The major disadvantage of this chip is its tiny 32kB SRAM which makes it difficult to reliably support some operations, such as track formatting, and writing to high-density HFE images. Reliability of these operations will depend on USB stick performance. Due to this limitation, I highly recommend the latest enhanced model with AT32F435 MCU for new purchases!

So maybe trying a faster USB stick may also help?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 10 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2023-07-25, 10:49:

So maybe trying a faster USB stick may also help?

Good idea. It doesn't seem to support USB 3 or 4, though..
And I haven't seen a good USB 2.0 pen drive for ages.

The Gotek is still stuck in the 2000s, it seems.
Or rather, the 80s, maybe.
For comparison, the Super Nintendo released in 1990 had 128KB of working memory, because the original 1988 design with 8KB (then 32KB) wasn't enough.

The most reasonable move would be to a) wait b) to throw that Gotek away or c) use it for parts, I suppose.

While I got it partially working (that special firmware), it's very bad. Small files can be copied, one by one, but that's all.
I can't imagine using it for installing OS/2 from floppies, for example. 🙁

Edit: The OLED display and the chassis might be worth saving, though.

Edit: Here's a (last) picture of the poor Gotek.
Personally, I don't expect to see any further firmware releases for it.

Attachments

• IMG_20231203_132813.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20231203_132813.jpg
    File size
    1.05 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    SFRKC30.AT2 w/ AT32F415
    File license
    Public domain

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 13, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Given the mess of hardware that the Gotek platform now is with the cut-down microcontrollers substituting the hardware it had originally, I'm surprised there hasn't been an effort to create an RP2040 floppy emulator.
To clarify though, the Gotek you're referring to is just this particular one, the model with the AT32F415 that's got the limited memory, right?

The STM32 series of chips seems to have just been very susceptible to cloning somehow. The STM32 'Blue-Pill' dev board was popular and useful for a while too, until clone chips started getting installed on those boards and the standard of that platform was broken too.

Reply 12 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Thermalwrong wrote on 2023-12-03, 13:45:

To clarify though, the Gotek you're referring to is just this particular one, the model with the AT32F415 that's got the limited memory, right?

Yes. The older Gotek model I have works like a charm after getting rid of the original firmware and installing Flash Floppy (never had real trouble with any version).

It's just that AT32F415 chip that doesn't cut it, I think.
The available RAM simply is too low to both hold a whole sector/cluster/block whatever and Flash Floppy.

And the problem with USB 1.x/2.x is the lack of DMA or interrupt support.
Everything's essentially done by polling method. USB 3 was an improvement here.

Finding a reliable USB 2.x pen drive with a good performance/access time is difficult.
Such things aren't being printed on the packaging.

That's why a proper Gotek (64KB+) with caching capability is so preferable.

Edit: There are new Goteks with an AT32F435 being sold right now.
The new chip is huge compared to the punny 415 type.

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 13, by NHVintage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've bought 3 flashfloppy gotek drives from a seller on ebay in the last couple months and all three are running just fine - 1 on an 8088, 1 on a 486, and 1 on a pentium II. I also before that bought an artery model on amazon and wound up coastering it trying to upgrade it to flashfloppy. So my advice to those buying one is to save yourself the trouble and just get one already set up with flashfloppy, most sellers will back what they sell.

The one I got is here, but there are others too.https://www.ebay.com/itm/234259341532