VOGONS

Reply 40 of 48, by dm-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my mobo (GA-6BXC) has a ICS 9148BF-26 clock gen, which is unstable on 133Mhz.
found a 9248-39 which is widely used on apollo pro mboards and looks like it is pin compatible with 9148-26. waiting for delivery and i'll do swap clock gen.

Reply 41 of 48, by nizce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shevalier wrote on 2023-08-30, 16:15:
Congratulations, the case has moved forward. Check the connection between pins G35 and G37 on this adapter as well. Well, add th […]
Show full quote
nizce wrote on 2023-08-30, 15:49:

The first time when it did boot, the first thing I did was to go into BIoS and looked at the vcore voltage and it reported 1.4v.
Don’t know if the CPU is broken now somehow, but the motherboard still works with another CPU so that’s good 😀

Congratulations, the case has moved forward.
Check the connection between pins G35 and G37 on this adapter as well.
Well, add the supply voltage to 1.5V. And you should set the bus frequency with jumpers forcibly.
download/file.php?id=96958

Thanks 😀

I checked continuity between G35-G37 so that is ok.
Will try to up the voltage to 1.5v and make sure to set FSB to 100 on both motherboard(P2B-F, via jumpers) as well as on the Slotket.

Don’t know what happens if I set the FSB on the slotket and motherboard differently, I guess the setting on the motherboard is the one that will be used? But for starters I’ll make sure to set them both to 100.

Also noticed that my motherboard only have multiplier settings of max 8.5 and this CPU has 10.5, perhaps that poses a problem also. But the multiplier is locked on the CPU so perhaps not a problem, the motherboard can perhaps handle it, just that I’m not able to set it via jumpers.

Reply 42 of 48, by nizce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shevalier wrote on 2023-08-30, 16:15:
Congratulations, the case has moved forward. Check the connection between pins G35 and G37 on this adapter as well. Well, add th […]
Show full quote
nizce wrote on 2023-08-30, 15:49:

The first time when it did boot, the first thing I did was to go into BIoS and looked at the vcore voltage and it reported 1.4v.
Don’t know if the CPU is broken now somehow, but the motherboard still works with another CPU so that’s good 😀

Congratulations, the case has moved forward.
Check the connection between pins G35 and G37 on this adapter as well.
Well, add the supply voltage to 1.5V. And you should set the bus frequency with jumpers forcibly.
download/file.php?id=96958

Charges voltage to 1.5(and verified in bios) and now it booted 2 times, well it shows something on the screen atleast:)
But it hangs quite quickly, see firs picture.

The third time the screen was just black.

Probably quite a lot that can cause this I guess, but I should probably reisolate all the pins(used tape) and check the AK4 bridge. Guess there is no way to check/measure this but just to do it again and hope for the best? 😀

Or the MB(P2B-F) simply doesn’t want to work with this CPU and slotket.

Running 100FSB jumpered on slotket and the MB.

Attachments

Reply 43 of 48, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nizce wrote on 2023-08-31, 20:11:

I should probably reisolate all the pins(used tape)

I would remove those pins from the socket.
These pins are not affect to capability with Coppermine.

and check the AK4 bridge.

Good idea!

Or the MB(P2B-F) simply doesn’t want to work with this CPU and slotket.

I don`t think so.
If it started, then it is already compatible.
Just something is missing.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 44 of 48, by dm-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, i got a parcel with new clock gen chip for my GA-6BXC and i quickly soldered it in...
Guess what? All work fine. All CPU which were not able to start on @133, now works just perfectly fine.

quick details:
Original clock gen chip: ICS 9148BF-26 ( up to 133 unstable )
Replacement clock gen: ICS 9248DF-39LF ( up to 150 )
replacement is a pin compatible so no additional work required.

Reply 45 of 48, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm surprised of all the problems you have with Tualatin P3s and slotkets.

Modded a few Tualatins, Celerons and P3s by isolating one pin and then the bridge. No problems with any of my Slot1-boards: two different Asus P3B-F, Abit VT6X4 and Abit BF6. Slotkets are MSI MS-6905 and some others. Only thing is that slotket must support at least Coppermine so that it can work with Tualatin.

All goes up to 150MHz and BF6 even higher until the motherboard (or AGP bus) hits the limit.

The P3-S with 512KB cache is way faster than Tualatin-256KB, it really surprised me how much the difference was. For an example Need for Speed Underground is almost unplayable with Celeron when with P3-S it's fully playable even lower clocks. System is Asus P3B-F with Geforce FX5900XT.

Reply 46 of 48, by nizce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dj_pirtu wrote on 2023-10-06, 07:51:
I'm surprised of all the problems you have with Tualatin P3s and slotkets. […]
Show full quote

I'm surprised of all the problems you have with Tualatin P3s and slotkets.

Modded a few Tualatins, Celerons and P3s by isolating one pin and then the bridge. No problems with any of my Slot1-boards: two different Asus P3B-F, Abit VT6X4 and Abit BF6. Slotkets are MSI MS-6905 and some others. Only thing is that slotket must support at least Coppermine so that it can work with Tualatin.

All goes up to 150MHz and BF6 even higher until the motherboard (or AGP bus) hits the limit.

The P3-S with 512KB cache is way faster than Tualatin-256KB, it really surprised me how much the difference was. For an example Need for Speed Underground is almost unplayable with Celeron when with P3-S it's fully playable even lower clocks. System is Asus P3B-F with Geforce FX5900XT.

Hi, which single pin did you isolate(for the P3-S? And also which pins did you bridge?

Last edited by nizce on 2023-10-07, 13:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 47 of 48, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Modded a few Tualatins, Celerons and P3s by isolating one pin and then the bridge.

You can kill me (some are working on this( but I don’t believe it.
I experimented with this quite a lot
Re: SY-6VBA133 motherboard with tualatin

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 48 of 48, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shevalier wrote on 2023-10-07, 12:28:
You can kill me (some are working on this( but I don’t believe it. I experimented with this quite a lot Re: SY-6VBA133 motherbo […]
Show full quote

Modded a few Tualatins, Celerons and P3s by isolating one pin and then the bridge.

You can kill me (some are working on this( but I don’t believe it.
I experimented with this quite a lot
Re: SY-6VBA133 motherboard with tualatin

Sorry, I just remembered wrong...

The guide was this: http://www.geocities.ws/tuacubx/reads/MSMG.htm
...and it need 3 pins to isolate and one bridge. Didn't do any VID-mod at all, only the stuff on left of the picture.

I have one modded P3-S 1,4GHz in Asus P3B-F with slotket running @150FSB, voltage of 1,55V. 1,5V just wasn't stable. RAM 512MB @2-2-3, GPU is Geforce FX 5900XT. 3dMark01SE gives ~10800.

Got a modded 1,266GHz P3-S which takes 150FSB too. And some modded Tualerons but those are clearly slower than P3-S even with a lot higher clock so not in use.

My second one P3-S 1,4GHz is in original condition and is used in MSI 694T Pro which takes Tualatins.