VOGONS

First post, by jimnastics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having a 'mare here with Little Big Adventure and hope you folks may have some ideas. I have a Pentium 75 machine with a Soundblaster 16 (CT2940).

I've restarted into DOS mode from Windows 95. installed LBA from CD as per norm, set up the sound as I believe it should be in setup.exe - I choose Soundblaster 16 for music and select 220 and Soundblaster 16 for sfx and 220 again, simple as. But when I play the game I get no speech and then the game crashes before loading the first level. I've tried various combos of choices (SB Pro, SB16 wave blaster etc.) and no joy. I've tried having the voice files on HDD, no luck.

Here is my config.sys:

DEVICE=C:\Windows\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
FILES=30
STACKS=0,0
BUFFERS=20
DEVICEHIGH=C:\Windows\COMMAND\ANSI.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\VIDECDD.SYS /D:MSCD001

Dosstart.bat:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T6 P330 H5
SET PATH=C:\Windows;C:\
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001
LH C:\CTMOUSE.EXE /R2

If anyone can spot any problems in the above, or suggest settings or configs I can try, I'd be very grateful!

Last edited by jimnastics on 2023-10-14, 20:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see no outstanding problems with your configs. Did you read the Readme.txt and go thru the Troubleshooting ?
"5. Troubleshooting

Step A. Configuration
If you are having problems launching the game, make sure that LBA is configured properly.
If the problem remains, select VESA and no music and no sound FX and retry.
If the program gives you an error about VESA support, load the VESA driver provided with your SVGA card (see SVGA card manual).
If the problem is solved go to step F, if not, go to Step B with this minimal configuration."

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 5, by jimnastics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-10-14, 17:28:
I see no outstanding problems with your configs. Did you read the Readme.txt and go thru the Troubleshooting ? "5. Troubleshoot […]
Show full quote

I see no outstanding problems with your configs. Did you read the Readme.txt and go thru the Troubleshooting ?
"5. Troubleshooting

Step A. Configuration
If you are having problems launching the game, make sure that LBA is configured properly.
If the problem remains, select VESA and no music and no sound FX and retry.
If the program gives you an error about VESA support, load the VESA driver provided with your SVGA card (see SVGA card manual).
If the problem is solved go to step F, if not, go to Step B with this minimal configuration."

Yes I've played around with turning things on and off. I can play the game fine without music and sfx (although I still get the CD streamed music, on the main menu for example). So there is definitely some issue here with sound. Thank god 13 year old me didn't get this problem in 94, I would have given up and missed out on a classic! It's very odd, I'm on a completely authentic P75 system here so no idea. Is it worth installing DOS as a bootable OS and trying straight through that? Or is Win95 DOS mode as good as doing that in the first place?

Reply 3 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have noticed that VIDE-CDD has the /D parameter with OPTICAL while MSCDEX has it with MSCD001, try using the same device name (stick with MSCD001) when loading a CD driver in MS-DOS mode.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 5, by jimnastics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-10-14, 19:13:

I have noticed that VIDE-CDD has the /D parameter with OPTICAL while MSCDEX has it with MSCD001, try using the same device name (stick with MSCD001) when loading a CD driver in MS-DOS mode.

Ah yes, sorry, I do have both already as MSCD001, that was an error in the first post. I've also tried switching to the oakcdrom driver, still the same issue. I've tested other games that use a combination of midi and wav, such as Simon the Sorcerer with full talkie voice, and they all work fine. Definitely something funky going on with LBA.