Reply 160 of 460, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2023-11-19, 20:15:
supercordo wrote on 2023-11-19, 19:42:
Meatball wrote on 2023-11-19, 19:20:
3DMark 2000: 11662 OS: Windows ME MB: Asus P4T CPU: Willamette Pentium 4 1.80GHz@2070.02/115.00MHz RAM: 512MB RDRAM 1066 Dual Ch […]
Show full quote

3DMark 2000: 11662
MB: Asus P4T
CPU: Willamette Pentium 4 1.80GHz@2070.02/115.00MHz
RAM: 512MB RDRAM 1066 Dual Channel
GPU: GeForce2 Ultra@300.7MHz/508.2MHz

Meatball out of nowhere to take the lead. Score updated!

Touché !
Well done sir

Thanks! I learned from a master!

Reply 161 of 460, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
paradigital wrote on 2023-11-19, 19:22:

Question, now that this is “All P4” are Netburst Xeons included? Socket 603/604? Could be tempted to grab my dual s603 board out for a play.

What about the Pentium D 9...45... I randomly bought on eBay for like $8 a few months ago?

Although... hmmm... while I think I have a motherboard for it, the problem would be cooling. I don't think a stock C2Q LGA775 cooler would cool a monstrous Hotburst...

Reply 162 of 460, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VivienM wrote on 2023-11-20, 00:55:
paradigital wrote on 2023-11-19, 19:22:

Question, now that this is “All P4” are Netburst Xeons included? Socket 603/604? Could be tempted to grab my dual s603 board out for a play.

What about the Pentium D 9...45... I randomly bought on eBay for like $8 a few months ago?

Although... hmmm... while I think I have a motherboard for it, the problem would be cooling. I don't think a stock C2Q LGA775 cooler would cool a monstrous Hotburst...

I guess since it still is a netburst its fine. It will have its own bracket.

Reply 163 of 460, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Presler was the dual core version of Prescott, forgot the D series was related and came in both single and dual core iirc.. Thanks for the reminder, have some cpu's to hunt down but so far am having either board or cpu problems...
I can post a 3dmark2001 SE of soc 775 quad core but that is a bit outside this adventure 😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 164 of 460, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2023-11-20, 03:21:

Presler was the dual core version of Prescott, forgot the D series was related and came in both single and dual core iirc.. Thanks for the reminder, have some cpu's to hunt down but so far am having either board or cpu problems...

The "D series" is weird - you have the Deleron (officially Celeron D) which is a Preshot-based Celeron with twice the cache of the older Celerons. Then you have the Pentium D where D means dual-core. Maybe D just means dual - dual cache or dual core?

Presler is the dual-core version of the 65nm Cedar Mill; Smithfield is the dual core verison of Preshot on 90nm.

My recollection from back in the day is that the later steppings of Presler with the lower TDPs were not... that... bad by Hotburst standards. Certainly in the second half of 2006, if you couldn't afford a Conroe and didn't like AMD, they were a half-passable option after the massive price cuts. And I think the large OEMs sold tons of these things in 2006-7...

Reply 165 of 460, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty sure D just means desktop. Back then, Intel had the Pentium M and Celeron M for mobile/laptops; Pentium D and Celeron D for desktops.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 166 of 460, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2023-11-20, 04:28:

Pretty sure D just means desktop. Back then, Intel had the Pentium M and Celeron M for mobile/laptops; Pentium D and Celeron D for desktops.

But the single core P4 remained P4 or P4 HT at the same time...

Reply 167 of 460, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right, but remember that the P4/HT lineup included mobile variants of Northwood and Prescott: Pentium 4-M and Mobile Pentium 4, respectively. They weren't desktop-exclusive cores, unlike Smithfield in Pentium D and Prescott-256 in Celeron D, neither of which you'd ever see in a normal laptop. Those terrible DTRs with LGA 775 sockets were not normal laptops, by the way. 😀

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 168 of 460, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
supercordo wrote on 2023-11-19, 16:57:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-11-19, 16:47:

So, this thread has taught me a very valuable lesson ... I'm very happy, that I waited with the P4 until the Northwood came out. My 1.6A ran at 2.4 (and sometimes more) from day one I got it. (or at least when I had a stable motherboard for it 🤣 )

None of the Willamettes I have tried now have been able to pass 2.2 GHz, maybe an E0 stepping would've been a better chance, but none of my 1.6, 1.7 or 1.8 were in luck. Neither the couple of Celerons I've tried.

Think I'll be taking the rig down for now, it's been a fun journey, looking forward to the next "aiming for the stars" thread!

It was very nice having you! The Northwoods were on a smaller node. 0.18 micron for Willamette vs 0.13 micron for Northwoods. Im thinking once the action dies down for Willamette, Ill add a bracket for Northwoods and so on like episodes. So eventually this will have all the P4 cores covered. Or should i just open it up now to all P4 cores???

Yeah, I know that the 0.13 process was the reason for the NorthWoods to overclock that much better - my last was a 2.4C (800 FSB/HyperThreading) it ran anywhere between 3.2 and 3.4 GHz no problem ... However, I think it did suffer the "Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome" aka electromigration - after it had been sitting as a Linux server always on for a couple of years ...

Please don't open up for ALL P4 - I can't open my toolboxes because of that rig 🤣 I ... need ... to ... continue ... participating ... 🤣

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 169 of 460, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gonna try some Win9x or ME, also on an 800MHz/HT CPU ... Preparing some memory, since 512 MiB should be maximum for a 9x system?

Clocking high, running Memtest86 to see what we've got 😁

Attachments

• 20231120_112220.jpg
    Filename
    20231120_112220.jpg
    File size
    501.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 170 of 460, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note to self: see if I have time to fiddle with my P4-HT system this weekend to get a result.

I also have a couple of P4-M Northwood laptops, but these would be totally gimped compared to their desktop counterparts, unless you want a separate category for mobile CPUs...

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 171 of 460, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I probably won't be able to compete for the new categories. I don't think i have other "~good" Pentium4 (or at leat not tested systems).
The closest i have is a dual Socket 604 workstation system with a pair of Gallatin Xeons 3.2... but that does not count 😁

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 172 of 460, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I have some desktop Northwoods in 2 laptops... not sure if those would qualify though. They are 478, that much I can certainly say.

ECS G732 and G736 are the models - one is a 2.5GHz P4 Northwood + Radeon 9000, the other is a 2.8GHz Northwood + Radeon Mobility 9600 (which is a lower powered 9700 Pro IIRC)

Last edited by PcBytes on 2023-11-20, 15:02. Edited 1 time in total.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 173 of 460, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
acl wrote on 2023-11-20, 12:32:

I probably won't be able to compete for the new categories. I don't think i have other "~good" Pentium4 (or at leat not tested systems).
The closest i have is a dual Socket 604 workstation system with a pair of Gallatin Xeons 3.2... but that does not count 😁

Just as long as they are Netburst! You can get socket 604 CPUs for dirt cheap on ebay.

Reply 174 of 460, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
supercordo wrote on 2023-11-20, 13:57:

Just as long as they are Netburst! You can get socket 604 CPUs for dirt cheap on ebay.

So i think they can qualify.
Gallatin are the cores use in ExtremeEdition Pentium 4 (and some Xeon)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... 2_(130_nm)
Xeon are slower than P4EE because of their slower FSB (and slightly lower freqs)... and also Server/Workstation boards generally don't overclock (limited bios options)

I might give it a try for fun... and to add a Socket 604 entry in your list 😁

Reply 175 of 460, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
acl wrote on 2023-11-20, 14:48:
So i think they can qualify. Gallatin are the cores use in ExtremeEdition Pentium 4 (and some Xeon) […]
Show full quote
supercordo wrote on 2023-11-20, 13:57:

So i think they can qualify.
Gallatin are the cores use in ExtremeEdition Pentium 4 (and some Xeon)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... 2_(130_nm)
Xeon are slower than P4EE because of their slower FSB (and slightly lower freqs)... and also Server/Workstation boards generally don't overclock (limited bios options)

I might give it a try for fun... and to add a Socket 604 entry in your list 😁

CPU world agrees!

Attachments

• cpu world.JPG
    Filename
    cpu world.JPG
    File size
    56.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 176 of 460, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe "NetBurst" would be more appropriate for a title? I guess that Irinkus would be ready with some results too ...

Reply 177 of 460, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-11-20, 15:00:

Maybe "NetBurst" would be more appropriate for a title? I guess that Irinkus would be ready with some results too ...

We will probably beat everyone else with his beast 😂
I think he have a GTX TITAN X and plans to try an RTX3xxx in it
Re: A Kick-Ass Dual 3.8GHz NetBurst Xeon Build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt6kkqC7HfI

Reply 178 of 460, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
acl wrote on 2023-11-20, 15:26:
We will probably beat everyone else with his beast 😂 I think he have a GTX TITAN X and plans to try an RTX3xxx in it Re: A Kick- […]
Show full quote
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-11-20, 15:00:

We will probably beat everyone else with his beast 😂
I think he have a GTX TITAN X and plans to try an RTX3xxx in it
Re: A Kick-Ass Dual 3.8GHz NetBurst Xeon Build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt6kkqC7HfI

You will only be competing with other socket 604 with the same cores.