VOGONS

Netburst: Aiming for the Stars

Topic actions

Reply 260 of 460, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2023-11-26, 17:09:

And now at 3.9GHz (230*17). Need a VID pin mod to go higher, just waiting on conductive paint.

asrock-pD-v5100-19255-2000.png

The Asrock doesn't have voltage adjustment?

Reply 261 of 460, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
supercordo wrote on 2023-11-26, 18:00:
paradigital wrote on 2023-11-26, 17:09:

And now at 3.9GHz (230*17). Need a VID pin mod to go higher, just waiting on conductive paint.

asrock-pD-v5100-19255-2000.png

The Asrock doesn't have voltage adjustment?

Unfortunately not no. I was planning to use an Intel BoneTrail (DX38BT) with DDR3, but it won’t post with any CPU (From Cedar Mill to Conroe). It worked when I put it into storage 🙁

The Asrock is my test-bench for video cards, usually housing an E7400. Good board for testing AGP and early PCIe GPUs, but not the best for overclocking, only having RAM and AGP voltage adjustments.

VID pinning is easy enough on S775 though.

Reply 262 of 460, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trying to break 20k. Little bit of GPU overclocking (no idea how far it’ll go yet) and driver tweaking, plus managed 1MHz more FSB without the need for more voltage. Dragged out the actual test-bench for this rather than ran on the desktop!

IMG_2849.jpeg
Filename
IMG_2849.jpeg
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 263 of 460, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2023-11-26, 19:57:

Trying to break 20k. Little bit of GPU overclocking (no idea how far it’ll go yet) and driver tweaking, plus managed 1MHz more FSB without the need for more voltage. Dragged out the actual test-bench for this rather than ran on the desktop!

IMG_2849.jpeg

I just got the DimasTech Bench/Test Table Mini V2 in black last week. Got it on Ebay. The company has since went under.

Attachments

Reply 264 of 460, by DrSwizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
supercordo wrote on 2023-11-26, 20:28:

IMG_2849.jpeg

I just got the DimasTech Bench/Test Table Mini V2 in black last week. Got it on Ebay. The company has since went under.

Looks nice. That flexible arm with a fan on it caught my attention; I might try to make such myself for my main test bench.

Reply 265 of 460, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DrSwizz wrote on 2023-11-26, 20:33:
supercordo wrote on 2023-11-26, 20:28:

IMG_2849.jpeg

Looks nice. That flexible arm with a fan on it caught my attention; I might try to make such myself for my main test bench.

Its very handy. Nice to be able to swing it out of the way and whatnot without removing it.

Reply 266 of 460, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm an idiot. Just found out my DFI Lanparty Pro 875 had the original release bios on it. Just flashed the latest version. I can now go up to 400FSB. 🤣

Reply 267 of 460, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I was able to raise the FSB to 267 in bios to achieve 4GHz with the latest bios version installed. Im petty happy with my score. Was also able to max out the sliders on the HD 3850.

Attachments

Reply 268 of 460, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice score paradigital. Somewhere I have a D 940 or D 950 but only found the retail boxes, will keep digging cause one of them has to be here... somewhere in this mess.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 269 of 460, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-11-25, 23:25:

It's almost getting too easy using 775 and pci-e.

Initial run with P4 630 (2MiB Prescott, 3.0 GHz), 8 GiB memory, which I haven't even looked closer at yet and GTX285, gave 19xxx in 3DMark2001. Didn't bother to take a screenshot since it won't be counting anyways 🤣

Either the P4 630 or the Gigabyte motherboard doesn't respond well to overclocking, or maybe I'm just expecting Northwood overclocks (+25-50%)?

I removed 2 of the 4 sticks of memory to go down to 4 GiB (as I run 32-bit XP) and the 2 sticks were CAS 3, the 2 I left in are CAS 2.5 ... But haven't gotten around to test it ... Yet ...

I may also need to spend 5 minutes figuring the memory multiplier settings out. They don't seem so logical to me ...?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 270 of 460, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-11-27, 08:27:
Either the P4 630 or the Gigabyte motherboard doesn't respond well to overclocking, or maybe I'm just expecting Northwood overcl […]
Show full quote

Initial run with P4 630 (2MiB Prescott, 3.0 GHz), 8 GiB memory, which I haven't even looked closer at yet and GTX285, gave 19xxx in 3DMark2001. Didn't bother to take a screenshot since it won't be counting anyways 🤣

Either the P4 630 or the Gigabyte motherboard doesn't respond well to overclocking, or maybe I'm just expecting Northwood overclocks (+25-50%)?

I removed 2 of the 4 sticks of memory to go down to 4 GiB (as I run 32-bit XP) and the 2 sticks were CAS 3, the 2 I left in are CAS 2.5 ... But haven't gotten around to test it ... Yet ...

I may also need to spend 5 minutes figuring the memory multiplier settings out. They don't seem so logical to me ...?

Well it is a Presshot one of the faster ones too so its likely already pushing shit uphill out of the box. Might be worth your time to grab a CedarMill which should overclock more like the Northwood.

Reply 271 of 460, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Inching closer to 20k. Swapped the PCIe FireGL V5100 out for an AGP 8x FireGL X3, which is basically the same card but with higher default clocks on the X3. The addition of Molex power on the X3 also helps with overclocking I think as I've got it pushed higher than the V5100. Identical setup otherwise, including drivers.

asrock-pD-FglX3-19645-2000.png
Filename
File size
133.92 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 272 of 460, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2023-11-27, 09:08:
Either the P4 630 or the Gigabyte motherboard doesn't respond well to overclocking, or maybe I'm just expecting Northwood overcl […]
Show full quote

Well it is a Presshot one of the faster ones too so its likely already pushing shit uphill out of the box. Might be worth your time to grab a CedarMill which should overclock more like the Northwood.

Yeah, only thing is - I don't have any Cedar Mills at hand right now ... They're all camping at CPUShack's waiting for me to find away to avoid crazy fees for paying VAT of stuff, which is in theory is worth nothing ... 😉

I do have a Presler 940, though. Wonder if dual core helps here - or heat will be so immensive that I can't overclock that either ...

[Edit]: I just realized that the Prescott-2M 6xx Series goes all the way up to 3.8 GHz, so my 630 @3.0 should have at least some headroom ... But it might as well be memory or chipset crapping out on me ...

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 273 of 460, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2023-11-27, 09:47:

Inching closer to 20k. Swapped the PCIe FireGL V5100 out for an AGP 8x FireGL X3, which is basically the same card but with higher default clocks on the X3. The addition of Molex power on the X3 also helps with overclocking I think as I've got it pushed higher than the V5100. Identical setup otherwise, including drivers.

Updated! Nice score.

Reply 274 of 460, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
supercordo wrote on 2023-11-27, 14:26:
paradigital wrote on 2023-11-27, 09:47:

Updated! Nice score.

Still want 20k! Conductive paint has arrived though, so more voltage is on the way tomorrow!

H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-11-27, 13:28:
Yeah, only thing is - I don't have any Cedar Mills at hand right now ... They're all camping at CPUShack's waiting for me to fi […]
Show full quote

Yeah, only thing is - I don't have any Cedar Mills at hand right now ... They're all camping at CPUShack's waiting for me to find away to avoid crazy fees for paying VAT of stuff, which is in theory is worth nothing ... 😉

I do have a Presler 940, though. Wonder if dual core helps here - or heat will be so immensive that I can't overclock that either ...

[Edit]: I just realized that the Prescott-2M 6xx Series goes all the way up to 3.8 GHz, so my 630 @3.0 should have at least some headroom ... But it might as well be memory or chipset crapping out on me ...

I’ve got my Presler limited to one core as a) 3DMark2000/2001 doesn’t care about core count, and b) my CPU will clock harder with only one core active.

I guess I should see if my Cedar Mill 651 clocks higher than the Presler 945.

Reply 275 of 460, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
paradigital wrote on 2023-11-27, 14:38:

3DMark2000/2001 doesn’t care about core count

I'm very interested about this (because of my dual socket system).
When i tested it on 3DM2001SE i found the score almost "too good" (Re: Netburst: Aiming for the Stars)
I looked online to see if the 2nd cpu was helping or not but found nothing.

Even if 3DMark itself does not benefits from the second core, i can imagine that the driver does to some extent.

I will try the same setup to see if my HD3850 agp improves the score over my OCed 7900GS and compare the result to @Supercordo's leading score.

#1 Supercordo @ 28447, CPU=4000, FSB=267, GPU= HD 3850 AGP Re: Netburst: Aiming for the Stars
#2 acl @ 22766, CPUs=3189, FSB=133, GPU=7900 GS, DDR Re: Netburst: Aiming for the Stars
-----> HD3850 will probably not give me the extra 6000 points or so. But will try anyway.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 276 of 460, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
supercordo wrote on 2023-11-25, 23:56:

I think newer cards require a UEFI bios.

At least for Nvidia cards they do not require UEFI bios. Dawid Does Tech Stuff used a 4090 with a over clocked Core 2 duo on a EVGA 680i motherboard a few weeks ago.

Reply 277 of 460, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
acl wrote on 2023-11-27, 15:39:
I'm very interested about this (because of my dual socket system). When i tested it on 3DM2001SE i found the score almost "too g […]
Show full quote
paradigital wrote on 2023-11-27, 14:38:

3DMark2000/2001 doesn’t care about core count

I'm very interested about this (because of my dual socket system).
When i tested it on 3DM2001SE i found the score almost "too good" (Re: Netburst: Aiming for the Stars)
I looked online to see if the 2nd cpu was helping or not but found nothing.

Even if 3DMark itself does not benefits from the second core, i can imagine that the driver does to some extent.

I will try the same setup to see if my HD3850 agp improves the score over my OCed 7900GS and compare the result to @Supercordo's leading score.

#1 Supercordo @ 28447, CPU=4000, FSB=267, GPU= HD 3850 AGP Re: Netburst: Aiming for the Stars
#2 acl @ 22766, CPUs=3189, FSB=133, GPU=7900 GS, DDR Re: Netburst: Aiming for the Stars
-----> HD3850 will probably not give me the extra 6000 points or so. But will try anyway.

If you look at my CPUz you will notice that HT is also disabled. That L3 cache must be doing work.

Reply 278 of 460, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yeah, only thing is - I don't have any Cedar Mills at hand right now ... They're all camping at CPUShack's waiting for me to fi […]
Show full quote

I have one of the 3.8Ghz models and I can tell you there was a good reason Intel canned the 4Ghz model ...3.8 will let you use it as a stove top it runs that hot at stock, Im sure I can get a little more out of it if I went with a bigger cooler, AIO or a more exotic solution but the reality is. Pushing Presshot hard doesn't get you much more in terms of performance, CedarMill will have more headroom due to being a die shrink of Presshot and genrally running cooler as a result.

The other consideration for the 3.8 model and overclocking is owning a board with a VRM capable of dealing with the extra voltage and heat generated, IIRC quite a few motherboard died back in the day due to this when using the high clocked Presshots and Pentium Ds.

Reply 279 of 460, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2023-11-27, 19:47:
Show full quote

I have one of the 3.8Ghz models and I can tell you there was a good reason Intel canned the 4Ghz model ...3.8 will let you use it as a stove top it runs that hot at stock, Im sure I can get a little more out of it if I went with a bigger cooler, AIO or a more exotic solution but the reality is. Pushing Presshot hard doesn't get you much more in terms of performance, CedarMill will have more headroom due to being a die shrink of Presshot and genrally running cooler as a result.

The other consideration for the 3.8 model and overclocking is owning a board with a VRM capable of dealing with the extra voltage and heat generated, IIRC quite a few motherboard died back in the day due to this when using the high clocked Presshots and Pentium Ds.

Probably all correct. I never had experiences with PressHot back in the day. Went directly from Northwood 2.4C @3.4 to a C2Q Q8200, so kind of missed the space heater era 🤣