VOGONS

First post, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have this computer, the image produced by the video card has this strange horizontal effect (out of sync?), the attached image I created in photoshop to accurately illustrate the problem. I can also notice a "morié?" ghost in the image.

Facts:

- I'm using an LCD LED monitor in perfect condition, the problem is not with it.
- I already changed the VGA cable
- The graphics adapter is a Mach 64CT onboard from an Intel advanced/(AS?)
- This board is using a low quality ATX power supply connected to an AT adapter (maybe it's a problem with the power supply?)

Attachments

• problem.png
    Filename
    problem.png
    File size
    286.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Take a look at my blog: http://rikintosh.blogspot.com
My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfRUbxkBmEihBEkIK32Hilg

Reply 1 of 9, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Look for broken/damaged caps around the chip and the d-sub connector.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 9, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bet image is perfect on CRT because those used analog circuity for syncing. LCD monitors scaler will analyze one line of video to determine horizontal timing and will stick to it no matter what. Video adapter might fluctuate horizontal timings slightly, it would be invisible on CRT.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 3 of 9, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And another one with same symptoms Horizontal distortion/shimmering on Voodoo Banshee
what model of lcd? can you check with another one?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 7 of 9, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

please list your lcd model number. This for all intends and purposes looks like LCD is somehow interlacing non interlaces source?

Reply 8 of 9, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-02, 09:10:

please list your lcd model number. This for all intends and purposes looks like LCD is somehow interlacing non interlaces source?

Horizontal banding/artifacting is classic pixel clock phase issues with analog vga input to LCD monitors. Auto adjustment often fails to correctly recover the pixel clock.

http://techmind.org/lcd/phasexplan.html

Reply 9 of 9, by guyjin37

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, thanks for talking about this. I made a post about the same exact issue last night and your comments here really helped me. Cross-linking for reference:

Re: Horizontal distortion/shimmering on Voodoo Banshee

Thanks again! (Auto-adjust was the ticket to lock in the phase and control per task/application.)