VOGONS

First post, by ia2115

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey

im battling a bit, im trying to match this Case with a Chaintech 4SOM 2.1 motherboard, the motherboard only has a 2 pin switch header and 2 pin header for the button led.
the case has a 3 pin for turbo button, and the 2 pin for led is fine working.

i can put the 3pin over 2 pin header for turbo button and 1 pin extends to the led, and led says 33mhz

setup is Intel 486 dx2 66, a test with benchmark for cpu program says its in Write-Through mode, but when i read documentation who is almost useless, it should be in Write-Back..

i thought that might impact if the button could work or not, when i read how "intelligent" lcd displays work from other threads and minuszerodegrees.

but dont really know how to get further now, hope someone has ideas.. i really want both lcd to work like 33/66 display depending on the button pressed or not.

And if any has ideas on the 486 WT vs WB, i was thinking of trying to modify bios to see if any hidden features.. the official is pretty limited, no cpu options in bios.

Reply 1 of 10, by ia2115

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What i have is:
LCD Display SFI-930
it has 3 set of pins in a row of 6.

1 - Black
2 - Yellow -> 1, 2 goes direct to case turbo led
3 - Black
4 - Blue -> 3,4 goes to 2 pin unnamed for mb (?)
5 - Black
6 - Red -> 5, 6 goes to molex aka 5v power supply for lcd

The Turbo button on case has 3 leads from it:
A - Red
B - Blue
C - White
goes to a 3pin header for motherboard (?`)

Motherboard has as normal 2 pin for turbo led, and 2pin for turbo button.
Motherboard is this: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/chaint … ch-4som2.1-m102

Reply 2 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm do not know about the led display.....
for Dx2-66 Intel: Only the sx955 has write back L1, all the others are write through including the SL enhanced sx807 and sx911..
which sx version do you have ?
The turbo switch probably is a SPDT type, so one lead is common, other two are either open/closed depending on the turbo button position, you can use a ohm meter to check.
most board turbo's you close (or jumper) to enable turbo mode but not all....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 10, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The original setup of turbo function that works synchronously includes a power switch with two sets of wires. One set goes to the motherboard and the other set goes to the display. http://www.suntekpc.com/htm-2/power-switch-pu … urbo-3p3c-2.htm
The turbo led on the front is then connected to the motherboard or to the display separately.

Reply 4 of 10, by ia2115

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2024-01-27, 16:43:

The original setup of turbo function that works synchronously includes a power switch with two sets of wires. One set goes to the motherboard and the other set goes to the display. http://www.suntekpc.com/htm-2/power-switch-pu … urbo-3p3c-2.htm

do they sell them? cant see a shop with items, so email and hope they produce/ have some for sale?

regards
jan

Reply 5 of 10, by ia2115

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2024-01-27, 16:22:

for Dx2-66 Intel: Only the sx955 has write back L1, all the others are write through including the SL enhanced sx807 and sx911..

Ahh there i learned something new 🤣 😉

from wikipedia
There are two major versions of the DX2 - Identified by P24 and P24D, the latter has a faster L1 cache mode, called "write-back", that improves performance. The original P24 version offered only the slower "write-through" cache mode.

never even though about version of same cpu from that age.

thanks for making me realize and learn this too 😉

i will see if i can find some faster version, or AMD variant instead.

regards
Jan

Reply 6 of 10, by ia2115

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just to make it more clear:

Markings on LCD is :

-LED+ S- S+ GND B+

led goes direct to turbo led, so i guess i dont need to have a 2pin connector to motherboard to populate that when it seems to be controlled by LCD?

my button has the 3 pins set for TurboSwitch, so im unsure where to set those as lcd only has S- and S+ and motherboard turbo only has 2 pins and manual/documentation is unreadable 😒

hope to get some input on my situation, how to wire it up for working button, and display who can shift between those high/low speeds

regards
jan

Reply 7 of 10, by ia2115

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

seems like i finally found solutions, S- S+ goes to Turbo LED on mother board.

the Three pins from the button on case, need to go as this:

White disconnect and not used.

red should be right pin if you see from the side of the case front, with mb in the case..
blue should go next to it, so a bit of reshuffle the "connector" for motherboard was needed.

so now it shows 33 and 66 mhz and the speed changes, as seen in landmark and benchmark suites.

Reply 8 of 10, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ia2115 wrote on 2024-01-27, 16:49:
Ahh there i learned something new lol ;) […]
Show full quote
Horun wrote on 2024-01-27, 16:22:

Ahh there i learned something new 🤣 😉

from wikipedia
There are two major versions of the DX2 - Identified by P24 and P24D, the latter has a faster L1 cache mode, called "write-back", that improves performance. The original P24 version offered only the slower "write-through" cache mode.

never even though about version of same cpu from that age.

thanks for making me realize and learn this too 😉

i will see if i can find some faster version, or AMD variant instead.

regards
Jan

You will search for "some faster version"?
You already wrote about this board in 2022: The board was equipped with a Am5x86. I am sure that will be always faster than any DX2-66.

Reply 9 of 10, by ia2115

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You will search for "some faster version"?
You already wrote about this board in 2022: The board was equipped with a Am5x86. I am sure that will be always faster than any DX2-66.
[/quote]

Ahh yes but not faster in like that type of max 😉 ive heard/read that turbo doesnt work on Am5x86 and i want that feature to be working, dont know if thats real or not .

so will find the write-back cache version of the DX2-66 mhz cpu 😉

/regards Jan

Reply 10 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ia2115 wrote on 2024-01-27, 22:41:
seems like i finally found solutions, S- S+ goes to Turbo LED on mother board. […]
Show full quote

seems like i finally found solutions, S- S+ goes to Turbo LED on mother board.

the Three pins from the button on case, need to go as this:

White disconnect and not used.

red should be right pin if you see from the side of the case front, with mb in the case..
blue should go next to it, so a bit of reshuffle the "connector" for motherboard was needed.

so now it shows 33 and 66 mhz and the speed changes, as seen in landmark and benchmark suites.

Good work !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun