VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To my incredible surprise, by mounting the adapter you see in the photo without connecting it to the power supply, it works perfectly! I didn't think it would take power from the normal 40-pin IDE cable, but is this something expected? Doesn't it overload the IDE controller circuitry?

Attachments

Reply 4 of 13, by Yrouel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlessandroB wrote on 2024-03-19, 08:16:

To my incredible surprise, by mounting the adapter you see in the photo without connecting it to the power supply, it works perfectly! I didn't think it would take power from the normal 40-pin IDE cable, but is this something expected? Doesn't it overload the IDE controller circuitry?

Beware that if you're not getting power explicitly on pin 20 it means the card is working essentially through unintended paths and/or leakage and that might very well lead to data corruption and even loss of the cf card.
I had this happen to me when I plugged an adapter to a controller card and forgot to power it explicitly and it borked the cf card.

If you want things to be neater either add power to pin 20 (if it's physically on the motherboard connector) or you can bring 5V from any other header on the board like for example USB or IRdA, you just need a single female-female dupont cable (ground is already well connected)

Reply 6 of 13, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yrouel wrote on 2024-03-19, 12:46:
Beware that if you're not getting power explicitly on pin 20 it means the card is working essentially through unintended paths a […]
Show full quote

Beware that if you're not getting power explicitly on pin 20 it means the card is working essentially through unintended paths and/or leakage and that might very well lead to data corruption and even loss of the cf card.
I had this happen to me when I plugged an adapter to a controller card and forgot to power it explicitly and it borked the cf card.

If you want things to be neater either add power to pin 20 (if it's physically on the motherboard connector) or you can bring 5V from any other header on the board like for example USB or IRdA, you just need a single female-female dupont cable (ground is already well connected)

if the card wont take power from pin20... wich one can provide? all the other are data cable...

anyway, if i measure 5v on my pin20 i can be sure that my adapter take power from it in a correct way?

Reply 7 of 13, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2024-03-19, 19:47:
Beware that if you're not getting power explicitly on pin 20 it means the card is working essentially through unintended paths a […]
Show full quote

if the card wont take power from pin20... wich one can provide? all the other are data cable...

anyway, if i measure 5v on my pin20 i can be sure that my adapter take power from it in a correct way?

If you see 5v on pin 20, you are probably OK. What IDE controller are you using?

Reply 8 of 13, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2024-03-19, 19:56:
AlessandroB wrote on 2024-03-19, 19:47:

If you see 5v on pin 20, you are probably OK. What IDE controller are you using?

is the one integrated in th IBM pc330 486DX2

Reply 9 of 13, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

for all the people saying pin 20...

pin 20, the keypin, the pin that seems to be missing on OP's photo. That pin is delivering power ?

Truly we live in amazing times.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 10 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

EDIT: sorry wrong link. I can't find where I wrote that I saw that with a CF card on a Startech IDE to CF adapter. Or maybe I never wrote about it and imagined that I had .
EDIT2: Found Using a vintage multi-track recorder as a mixer, namely the Roland VS-880EX - might apply to other Roland VS- units , but that is not what I remember either. I think I was using the 40-pin input on the CF adapter and am not sure anymore whether I checked pin 2o.

I had a similar surprise with a mysteriously powered CF card . No pin20 either .

Re: What is the current carrying capacity of a wire in 40-pin IDE (ATA) and 44-pin IDE (ATA) cables ?

Reply 12 of 13, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2024-03-19, 21:05:

pin 20, the keypin, the pin that seems to be missing on OP's photo. That pin is delivering power ?

I didn’t even think to look at the CF adaptor. Good eye!

Reply 13 of 13, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2024-03-19, 21:05:

Right I should have clarified. I was making a statement of fact. Didn't mean to imply that's what was happening in OP's case.