VOGONS

First post, by GN323

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

Kind of an extension of Windows 98 Install - Won't load CDROM drivers, I've been having trouble getting Windows 98 DOS to load any kind of CDROM drivers.

Basically, I've tried all of the drivers on the Win98 boot floppy and a couple others individually (re-wrote the config.sys on a copy of the disk to try each one individually) to no avail. BTCDROM and ASPICD both run but then throw the 'no device driver found MSCD001' error, while OAKCDROM, VIDECDD and SSCDROM (driver for the SC-140) all just cause the system to hang (cursor flashes, but system doesn't proceed). I've tried loading all of them with stock MSCDEX and a couple (OAKCDROM, VIDECDD) with SHSUCDX, same result.

Drive is jumped as master on the secondary controller (I believe it is wired up this way) and the BIOS detects it as such. When in Win98 itself, the drive runs fine, though I get that DOS requires real-mode drivers as opposed to what Win98 uses.

Machine specs:
Intel Coppermine 128 Celeron (996MHz)
Gainward NVidia Geforce2 MX400 64MB
384Mb RAM
Sound Blaster Live! SB0220
Maxtor DiamondMax 80GB HDD
Gigabyte GA-60MM7E 1.1 Motherboard
Samsung SC-140E 40X CDROM

(As for why - I got 98 installed by using a Linux CD to copy the contents of the 98 CD over to the HDD (back when I had two CDROM drives installed) for installation through there, however now i'm trying to run Transport Tycoon Deluxe, which will only run in DOS mode, and needs to be able to see the CD in order to start).

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Reply 1 of 3, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Paste the exact lines of your config.sys and autoexec

One very simple mistake is having the name of the variable wrong.

Eg:
device=oakcdrom.sys /D:oemcd001
and
LH MSCDEX.EXE /D:NOTOEMCD001 /L:D

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)

Reply 2 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok so just to be clear. You have booted from a Win98 DOS bootable disk, tried various drivers and they do not detect the cdrom ? The 'no device driver found MSCD001' error would be from mscdex not the actual driver.
As myne inferred: the /D:"name" must match exact for both the .sys driver and mscdex.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 3, by GN323

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll try and paste the config and autoexec files when I'm back at my machine, but I've checked the drive name matches across the two before, and had this issue with the stock windows 98 boot floppy (no modification).