VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I installed and began playing Baldrhead the other day, a game I've been wanting to play for almost 20 years. The game is a single CD and full install is around 450mbs. So I was a bit surprised when the installer said the game has 1999 individual files to copy. Turns out every single sfx, voice line, and music track are standard wav files. There's so many the game even has a checker program to verify all of them. Never seen such madness in a properly published retail game. Just for fun, are there any games that beat this? Lol.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 1 of 8, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mirror's Edge has 3200 files.
Mount&Blade has 3900 files.
Shank 2 has 4100 files.
Ys: Memories of Celecta has 5900 files.
ToK Complete Edition has 21000 files.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 3 of 8, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really do not play modern games. Bu do not understand how one game can have one datafile and other has million. Take Quake4 versus HalfLife2. Is it really so hard to put your resources in a single file. Or go the CnC route. Music here. Terrain here. Sounds here. And so on. And one thing i have noticed when making my floppy only retrocomuter. Old 16 color Appogee games are HUGE. The first full Duke Nukum does not fit in a 1.44MB floppy. Like come on. 16colors and pc speaker sound. But a first episode of Wolfenstein 3D will. 256colors sound blaster sound.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 6 of 8, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote on 2023-10-17, 16:53:

Is it really so hard to put your resources in a single file.

The claim is that individual files would make for easier and smaller patches. But that's BS. We all know how humongous modern day game patches are. And anyways, Sierra had this solved since like mid/late 80's? big pack files that still support external individual file overrides.

So yeah, I would say no excuses. Just a decision by someone under God-knows-what influences 🙂

Reply 7 of 8, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyberdyne wrote on 2023-10-17, 16:53:

Really do not play modern games. Bu do not understand how one game can have one datafile and other has million. Take Quake4 versus HalfLife2.

Half-Life 2 is a weird one. The release version didn't have too many small files, the later versions went nuts.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 8 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

HL2's not much of a big change. They just went from having everything in a few .GCFs then reinvented the pak file for post-Orange releases and have a few more loose bits. A lot of the changing's to deal with the engine hitching to cache better IIRC, as Source then was known to hitch and stutter.

apsosig.png
long live PCem