VOGONS

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have been using Reddit for over 4 years, having thousands of karma points. I was banned last year on some sub-reddit.

Day before yesterday someone came over, they used my phone to login to Reddit since their phone was damaged and at repair and had to respond to some comments. I agreed. Yesterday, I get a message saying I tried to evade a ban with an alternate account (I don't have one) and their account got permanently banned. I received a week ban.

We have appealed, but they aren't convinced.

What other sites issue such bans? This could become an issue for them because the account was logged in both devices, and according to TnCs you can't evade bans.

(Also we don't generally strike a conversation to ask if they have been banned from X subreddit, so that they don't see a ban evasion)

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 7, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reddit went Gestapo a while back.
It's unlikely they'll win.
Good luck.

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)
Script to backup Win9x\ME drivers from a working install

Reply 2 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They should have a history of the behavior of both accounts and make their decision based on that but sometimes you have to make the decision to allow but monitor if you don't have enough data. The ones that should be banned keep performing the same activities that caused a ban. Reddit should be lenient they aren't protecting nukes.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 7, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2024-05-23, 09:57:

They should have a history of the behavior of both accounts and make their decision based on that but sometimes you have to make the decision to allow but monitor if you don't have enough data. The ones that should be banned keep performing the same activities that caused a ban. Reddit should be lenient they aren't protecting nukes.

Reading your comment, I asked them to show their follow list. We have at least 9 common subreddits.

The place where I was banned was in October, and both of us follow it and interact with it. It is a national level sub following it would be common. They commented 2 days ago for the first time, I was banned so I can't comment, so it was not some kind of "performing the same thing" at least from their part.

Reply 4 of 7, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I left Reddit last year, after I got banned for an extremely stupid reason. Apparently, the moderators of a popular work-related subreddit didn't like that I posted about enjoying a four-day work week. Sacrilege!

The moderators of the subreddit permabanned my main profile from it. Then they hunted down my alternate profile (which I used for a few posts so I couldn't be traced back to my actual employer). This got escalated to a main Reddit admin who then issued a full four-week ban on my main profile.

A lot of people post anonymously in work-related subreddits. I felt like being specifically targeted because a moderator didn't like the content I was submitting and abused his power just to annoy me. Which seems to be a regular thing on that platform.

These actions were actually pretty good for me, because it kicked off a social media detox. I've since deleted all of my social media profiles on major platforms. They only use algorithms to feed me hate and boobs or sell my data to shady AI companies anyway...I don't need that stuff anymore. It has drastically improved my mental health! 😀

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 5 of 7, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never used reddit, but I've only heard bad things about it. I generally pay attention to not be too easily tracked online and most things sites can use to track/ban you by can be spoofed and you should be prepared if you plan to use a known toxic service, but it can be very inconvenient with certain sites like Facebook or Google.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 6 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I started using it last year because it's becoming harder to find active traditional forums that don't have their own problems. It is about the worst format I can imagine for a forum, but some subreddits are an interesting feed of information and chatter. Generally it is best to stay out of subreddits that are very popular or mainstreamish.

Reply 7 of 7, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2024-05-23, 13:49:

most things sites can use to track/ban you by can be spoofed and you should be prepared if you plan to use a known toxic service, but it can be very inconvenient with certain sites like Facebook or Google.

As I said, I found it very unlikely that they would hold two accounts, made on entirely separate emails, separate devices and belonging to a different individual, belonging to the same person. I wonder what desktops do in this regard; many people in my region still use Facebook and Google on Cyber cafes and if someone gets banned on an account, the other users will also be affected?

swaaye wrote on 2024-05-23, 15:36:

I started using it last year because it's becoming harder to find active traditional forums that don't have their own problems. It is about the worst format I can imagine for a forum, but some subreddits are an interesting feed of information and chatter. Generally it is best to stay out of subreddits that are very popular or mainstreamish.

Now that they made a new account deleting the old one, the harder part is to make sure we somehow don't jump into the same forum and neither of us get banned in it