VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks to keropi, I remembered to fire up the the FreeDos in my test setup.

My Test Setup:

DFI CA61 Socket 370 Motherboard
intel Coppermine 1GHz Socket 370 Processor
Micron 256MB PC-100 DRAM (128MB x 2)
WD 80GB used for this FreeDos Installation
Seagate 120GB (power cable pulled off during installation) used for Windows 98SE plus other related files
(Both are IDE Drives.)
Mitsumi Quad Speed CDD.
Lite-On DVD+RW Drive.
1 x 5.25" HD FDD
1 x 3.5" HD FDD
Gainward Geforce Ti4800SE AGP with 64MB RAM
2 x Creative CT6710 Voodoo2 12MB cards running in SLI mode
(the Geforce passes through the Voodoo2s)
Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold
D-Link Airplus G wireless PCI Network Card

dsc00342x.jpg

Post Screen :

dsc00312u.jpg

Booting from the FreeDos CD:

dsc00313ez.jpg

FreeDos Logo Screen :

dsc00314ri.jpg

CD Boot Selection Menu :

dsc00315yl.jpg

Language Selection :

dsc00316a.jpg

dsc00317kn.jpg

dsc00318a.jpg

dsc00319q.jpg

dsc00320lw.jpg

dsc00321z.jpg

dsc00322ke.jpg

Sections Selections. The <..> shows the current position of the cursor. [X] denotes it is selected. Otherwise it will be [ ].

dsc00323l.jpg

System Utilities:

dsc00324vq.jpg

File installation progress screen :

dsc00325t.jpg

Freeware / Open Source Archivers for Dos! :

dsc00326n.jpg

Dos I/O Utilities :

dsc00327s.jpg

Text Editors for Dos :

dsc00328pz.jpg

Free Games for Dos! (Yeehaw!) :

dsc00329x.jpg

Programming Languages for Dos! :

dsc00330d.jpg

Multimedia tools for Dos :

dsc00331rzcga.jpg

Web and internet utilities for Dos! :

dsc00332w.jpg

The basic system utilities selection screen prior to installation :

dsc00333l.jpg

The packet driver installation for network cards which begins automatically
towards the end of the installation.

dsc00335l.jpg

Voila! The Freedos first dos prompt!:

dsc00337n.jpg

The mem/c command. Look at the Free Conventional Memory! This is the deafult configuration. Got this without altering anything for the first time :

dsc00343cr.jpg

Beware! The full install will eat up about 197MB of the hard drive space! :

dsc00338p.jpg

The Heretic game in action! No problems loading from the initial setup as made by the freedos:

dsc00339n.jpg

Errr...sorry for the picture qualities. Taken with my phone when I was "sleepy but not able to sleep" kind of moment. And at that time, "The Day was Dawning on Day 6". (Yeah, I'm a sucker for the Quest for Glory series! 😁)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Malik, your monitor looks interesting. It doesn't look like the one you normally use. It looks more "square shaped" (not widescreen), as opposed to rectangular shaped. Is it 4:3 aspect ratio? If it is, can you please say a bit about it, such as model number, and whether it's any good or not. Thanks!

Reply 2 of 8, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

Malik, your monitor looks interesting. It doesn't look like the one you normally use. It looks more "square shaped" (not widescreen), as opposed to rectangular shaped. Is it 4:3 aspect ratio? If it is, can you please say a bit about it, such as model number, and whether it's any good or not. Thanks!

Yes, this is my smaller LCD display : BENQ G700 17" 4:3 aspect ratio. So far, it's great and all the different resolutions from different graphic cards are properly stored in it's memory in terms of fine tuning for each resolutions.

G700APattern_rightimage.jpg

Here is the specs page from BENQ's website : http://www.benq.com/products/LCD/?product=109 … =specifications

(Mine is the analog only G700A.)

I didn't actually buy this looking for it or after reading the reviews and so on. Saw it in a shop and got it without giving much thoughts because of my experience with BENQ products. (My bigger main display is also a BENQ.)

Bought this for my "operating table" use only. But turns out to be a good one. 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 8, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried installing FreeDos in virtual PC, but it didn't even boot. I'll might try it on my uncle's old pentium rig I just got my hands on.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 4 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the free conventional memory amount is EPIC !!!!
test more with sound cards!!!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 8, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very interesting this freeDos article.

Malik wrote:

Yes, this is my smaller LCD display : BENQ G700 17" 4:3 aspect ratio. So far, it's great and all the different resolutions from different graphic cards are properly stored in it's memory in terms of fine tuning for each resolutions.

1280x1024 is almost 4:3 but not exactly. For that you need to trim it to 1280x960. My screen has the same resolution (syncmaster 730BF). Fortunately the Nvidia videocard has a "fixed aspect ratio scaling" setting, but only in windows.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 8 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will also play around with Free DOS soon. So far I only tried (with success):

- Monkey Island 2
- Last Crusade
- Prince of Persia

on a i815 board with a 900 MHz Celeron and Cache disabled.

I am still waiting for my CF stuff before I can install everything and start trying some games...

I have most other boot disks from Bootdisk.Com. Dos 6.22 for best compatibility, Win 95b for Fat 32 and Win98SE for easy CD-Rom drive access...

UPDATE: So far I was able to play any game I tried.

I highly recommend you do the small install. The full install loads anything from a web browser to games and network software...

Free DOS auto installs a CD driver and also a mouse driver.

Games I tried so far:

- Last Crusade
- Monkey Island
- Monkey Island 2
- Wing Commander
- Wing Commander 2
- Prince of Persia
- Hearth of China
- Ultima 6