VOGONS

Anyone using FreeDOS?

Topic actions

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found that FreeDOS supports FAT32 too, and has some nice features too, anyone here uses it? Is it OK for our gaming needs? 😊
I'll give it a shot tomorrow 😁 maybe I don't have to mess with win98se DOS after all.... 😊

http://www.freedos.org

FreeDOS is a free DOS-compatible operating system.
Easy multiboot with Win95-2003 and NT/XP/ME
FAT32 file system and large disk support (LBA)
LFN support via DOSLFN driver
XDMA & XDVD - UDMA driver for hard discs and DVD players
LBACACHE - disk cache
Memory Managers: JEMM386 (XMS, EMS,...)
possibility of writing 32-bit protected mode drivers (JLMs=Jemm Loadable Module)
SHSUCDX (MSCDEX replacement) and CD-ROM driver (XCDROM)
CUTEMOUSE - Mouse driver with scroll wheel support
FDAPM - APM info/control/suspend/poweroff, ACPI throttle, HLT energy saving...
MPXPLAY - media player for mp3, ogg, wmv... with built-in AC97 and SB16 drivers; has a user interface
7ZIP, INFO-ZIP zip & unzip... - modern archivers are available for DOS
EDIT / SETEDIT - multi window text editors
HTMLHELP - help viewer, can read help directly from a zip file
PG - powerful text viewer (similar to V. D. Buerg's LIST)
many text mode programs ported from Linux thanks to DJGPP
FreeCOM - command line, supports file completation
4DOS can be installed, which is an enhanced command line.
GRAPHICS - greyscale hardcopy on ESC/P, HP PCL and PostScript printers
Arachne - a graphical web browser and e-mail client
Fdupdate - updates installed FreeDOS from internet server
bit torrent client
anti-virus / virus scanner

Reply 1 of 12, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I read this thread before and forgot to keep up with it, since I didn't have enough time to try out the FreeDos. I already have burned the bootable ISO version of the FreeDos but yet to install.

I think I'll try installing it too in the 486SP3 system that I'm tinkering with currently. And then with my 440BX based PIII system.

The features of FreeDos's utilities and enhancements of the usual ms-dos' 3rd party utilities and tools alternatives/counterparts do look very promising in terms of memory usage and compatibility in newer systems.

I've been using qhimem, qcdrom.sys shsucdx33c.exe and cutemouse for quite sometime now. Very low conventional memory footprints and no problems with dos games so far.

I've been sticking with MS-DOS 6.22 just for the sake of nostalgia. That was what I was using those days, and seeing the classic dos bootup messages bring back those memories everytime! (I have a separate config.sys bootblock dedicated to loading classic ms-dos utilities - mscdex.exe, himem.sys, emm386.exe, smartdrv.exe, mouse.com; just for the sake of nostalgia. 😀)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 2 of 12, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't rely too much on using shsucdx it can cause problems with some games like Gunship 2000 for example, the game will only install/run with mscdex by some unknown reason.
It can also be stubborn to load into HMA

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 3 of 12, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FreeDOS has some nice features over MSDOS 6.22, but it's not as stable or compatible. Of course now saying that, you'll probably ask "in what way is it unstable?". Ehh, I don't remember. After I had some crashes and reboots, I stopped using it and went back to MSDOS 6.22. No problems now.

Reply 4 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah, I tried it in the meanwhile, and I reverted back to winDOS98se 😀
maybe I will try Malik's suggestions like qhimem

ps: I see there is a newer shsucdx version, shcdx33c.zip located here: http://freedos.pri.ee/files/dos/shsucdx/

Reply 5 of 12, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is shsucdx? Anyway, I have a FreeDOS CD somewhere. I'll might test it on my uncle's old pentium rig.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 7 of 12, by tikbalang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

qhimem has been superseded by xmgr from the same author. shsucdx was forked and updated. there is also uide, a driver that works as ide/sata/udma/cd/dvd and cache driver all-in one. lastly, rdisk, a simple xms ramdisk provider.

http://johnson.tmfc.net/dos/

ESS PCI DOS Drivers

Reply 8 of 12, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think there is a problem of read error of the floppy disks, when smartdrv is installed under qhimem.sys environment (or shsucdx, not sure). The actual read will be fine but when dir is typed, you can only see gibberish characters. You can still load the executable, say, like install.exe for example, if you know the contents of the disk. Unloading smartdrv will remove this error. Other than that, so far everything is running smoothly with the above files that I've been using.

Reply 9 of 12, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another great utility for supported motherboards is the umbpci.sys - Provides UMB without placing the system in real-mode(LIM-EMS emulation mode).

I haven't tested this with the compatibility or execution of games yet. I'll add this into my roster.

Great, instead of tinkering with the motherboards, I think I'll start messing with Freedos on different mobos for a while. 😁

Reply 10 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

from the site tikbalang gave:

SHCDX32B -- "SHSUCDX V3.02B" by Jack R. Ellis, 29-May-2005.
Derived from V3.02 SHSUCDX by Jason Hood, as follows:
A All 80386 logic is deleted (not necessary with today's quick CPUs!)

does that mean that if someone has a 386 machine, should use an earlier version?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 12, by tikbalang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:
from the site tikbalang gave: […]
Show full quote

from the site tikbalang gave:

SHCDX32B -- "SHSUCDX V3.02B" by Jack R. Ellis, 29-May-2005.
Derived from V3.02 SHSUCDX by Jason Hood, as follows:
A All 80386 logic is deleted (not necessary with today's quick CPUs!)

does that mean that if someone has a 386 machine, should use an earlier version?

not at all. in fact, shsucdx by jre becomes even more cpu compatible now.

ESS PCI DOS Drivers