Common searches

Reply 20 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Leolo wrote:
EscapeVelocity wrote:

Is a retail version of Win 98SE superior to getting an OEM version or vice versa?

The OEM version is superior, because it's bootable. The retail is not bootable.

But then how did you install it?

Tetrium wrote:
No, technically since DOS 6.22 has a program that's almost completely useless which DOS 6.2 doesn't, even the fact that 6.22 has […]
Show full quote
Jorpho wrote:
TheMAN wrote:

as for DOS... DOS 6.22 is better than DOS 6.2... only real difference is drivespace compression.... in case you ever need it 😉

Didn't you just contradict yourself there?

No, technically since DOS 6.22 has a program that's almost completely useless which DOS 6.2 doesn't, even the fact that 6.22 has a program that is of minuscule importance, DOS 6.22 is, in fact better.
Pure logic, dear Watson ;D

Am I right, or am I right 😁

I see what you did there.

However... DOS 6.2 comes with Doublespace compression. DOS 6.21 was the version without any drive compression at all.

Reply 21 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
No, technically since DOS 6.22 has a program that's almost completely useless which DOS 6.2 doesn't, even the fact that 6.22 has […]
Show full quote
Jorpho wrote:

Didn't you just contradict yourself there?

No, technically since DOS 6.22 has a program that's almost completely useless which DOS 6.2 doesn't, even the fact that 6.22 has a program that is of minuscule importance, DOS 6.22 is, in fact better.
Pure logic, dear Watson ;D

Am I right, or am I right 😁

I see what you did there.

However... DOS 6.2 comes with Doublespace compression. DOS 6.21 was the version without any drive compression at all.

True that!

Sorry, I was just replying as it seemed like you were making a fuzz while splitting hairs 😜

But the thing with software is:
Often when a new version of some software is released, they often fix more then they write in their release notes. If version A is basically the same as version B, but B is slightly newer, the better gamble would be to use version B unless theres some obvious reason not to 😉

Btw, there was a 4th disk for DOS 6.22, freely downloadable though I don't even know what it did.

And about 98SE retail vs oem, retail does let you do an "upgrade" while the oem version won't (or atleast, without applying some trick 😜).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 24, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the 4th disk for DOS 6.x was for the older DOS tools, such as edlin, dosshell, etc... I'm pretty sure DOS 6 didn't come with dosshell, but don't quote me on that
either way, it had some pretty useful stuff if you got an extra meg for "bloat" 😁

Reply 23 of 24, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's called Dos 6.22 Supplemental Disk : http://download.microsoft.com/download/win31/ … n-us/sup622.exe.

Microsoft wrote:
Description The MS-DOS 6.22 Supplemental Disk contains the following utilities: AccessDOS, which assists persons with disabiliti […]
Show full quote

Description
The MS-DOS 6.22 Supplemental Disk contains the following utilities:
AccessDOS, which assists persons with disabilities in using MS-DOS 6.22.
Keyboard utilities, including Dvorak keyboard layouts.
A program for creating a bootable compressed floppy disk.
Utilities from MS-DOS 5.0 that are not included with MS-DOS 6.22.
Updated network files for MS-DOS 6.22.
MS-DOS Shell files.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 24 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMAN wrote:

-snip-

Malik wrote:

-snap-

Cheers guys!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!