VOGONS

Common searches

Benchmarking, need advice.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 55, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I think I got all the games for testing my Tasmania 3D (and Artist Graphics 2000i).
I based my purchasees on Vetz' topic (link) and what I could find on Wikipedia.

If anyone thinks there are any other Renderware/BRender games I should get, let me know.

Renderware API games;
medium.jpg
(thumbnail)

BRender API games;
medium.jpg
(thumbnail)

Unknown API;
medium.jpg
(thumbnail)

Last edited by NitroX infinity on 2013-05-07, 11:51. Edited 1 time in total.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 21 of 55, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That some sweet purchases, but I still think you're a bit crazy to buy those games in full boxed version just to test them 😉

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 25 of 55, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Getting close! Got a videosplitter and a new tripod for my camera;

Aten VS-132
medium.jpg

Velbon VS-443(D)
medium.jpg medium.jpg

(Images are thumbnails, click for larger)

I think all I need to get now is a monitor that does 1920x1200, maybe a floppydrive and a proper case for benching. Thinking about a Cooler Master Test Bench.

Reply 26 of 55, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another update;

medium.jpg
(thumbnail)

I'm not sure about the functionality of the hard-drive and dvd-drive but I've got more lying around. Floppydrive is expertly attached with ducttape 😁

Now all I need is a monitor. Which will take one or two months. I know, too many delays, sorry about that 😅

Reply 27 of 55, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting BRender note, may have been mentioned here before:
http://www.cwaboard.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9020

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 28 of 55, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tank Commander has been identified as having 3D engine called "3D-Ware" from "Virtek International".
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/re … VY/sr6DCFfCRDwJ
As near as I can determine (it being a 1994 game, plus the information above) it would not support 3D accelerators and is software rendering only.
A game demo called "Annihilator Tank" is expected to use this engine as well.

Stiletto

Reply 29 of 55, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The game is bundled with the Tasmania 3D, so it must be supported somehow. Maybe the bundled version is a port of some kind made specifically for the card? The Tasmania 3D was just a polygon accelerator and worked with software rendering given that the game ran on a supported engine/API.

Reply 30 of 55, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd find it unlikely that
Spectre VR (1993, Velocity Inc.)
Creep Clash (1994, 47-TEK, Inc.)
are RenderWare games, or at least RenderWare games that support 3D accelerators. Most BRender/Renderware/etc. 3D engines don't seem to exist before 1995. Unless Spectre VR is some reissue. It seems like Scorched Planet was the first RenderWare game (makes sense)

G-NOME is a RenderWare 2.0 game from 1997. As such I expect it only supports Direct3D/Glide, maybe OpenGL.

My WIP List of Potential 1990's RenderWare games:
Re: 3D Accelerated Games List (non-3Dfx proprietary APIs)

My List of Potential BRender Games:
Re: 3D Accelerated Games List (non-3Dfx proprietary APIs)

Stiletto

Reply 31 of 55, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

The game is bundled with the Tasmania 3D, so it must be supported somehow. Maybe the bundled version is a port of some kind made specifically for the card? The Tasmania 3D was just a polygon accelerator and worked with software rendering given that the game ran on a supported engine/API.

I would support the idea that it was made specifically for the card, but given this guy's description of the engine does not advertise 3D accelerators, I doubt the retail copy does. I guess we'll find out.

Ideally you should get an originally packaged OEM version I suspect, like Tim had.

Stiletto

Reply 32 of 55, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NitroX Infinity have the card with the full bundle including Tank Commander. So when he gets around to his testing we will hopefully see some results 😀

Check these two sources regarding Spectre VR and Creep Clash:
www.thefreelibrary.com/47-TEK,+INC+INTR ... a015901477
http://www.craniac.com/portfolio_sw.htm
They were also bundled with the Matrox Impression which supported Renderware. Spectre VR is a port to Renderware.

Spectre MGA - Velocity Incorporated, Fall 1994:
Ported Spectre VR, one of the very first commercially-successful, LAN-based, interactive computer games to use Criterion's Renderware 3D API and 3D hardware acceleration provided by the then-cutting-edge Matrox MGA 3D video card.

Reply 33 of 55, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CyberSpeed appears to be Rendermorphics Reality Lab
Proof: Here's a game demo, appears to also call GIGI in the Reality Lab folder - 3DLabs support maybe?
http://cd.textfiles.com/pcgamer/pcgamer014/CYBERSPD/

Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat (1995, Mindscape) and WorldView (1995, Intervista Software, VRML application) also do software rendering with Reality Lab apparently.

Perhaps Air Power is also Reality Lab-powered.

Stiletto

Reply 34 of 55, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

NitroX Infinity have the card with the full bundle including Tank Commander. So when he gets around to his testing we will hopefully see some results 😀

Okay, I was confused because the retail box for Tank Commander appeared in his photo. So he has the OEM versions of Tank Commander, Spectre MGA, Sento and Creep Clash and then collected the non-accelerated versions for comparison or to see if retail versions can be converted with files from the OEM versions (which show in his picture)?

Stiletto

Reply 35 of 55, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dunno why he bought the retail versions of Tank Commander and FX Fighter. Maybe it is to compare the bundled versions against the OEM? Find out if they are the same or not. NitroX bough the card from Tim and that included the whole bundle.
He (or me) does not have the Spectre MGA version. That was a port from Spectre VR (which he does have) and it was exclusive in the bundle with the Matrox Impression card. Unfortunately that is one of the "lost" discs atm, as I do not know anyone who owns it. The Sento/Creep Clash disc is the retail version and should work.

Reply 36 of 55, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:
CyberSpeed appears to be Rendermorphics Reality Lab Proof: Here's a game demo, appears to also call GIGI in the Reality Lab fold […]
Show full quote

CyberSpeed appears to be Rendermorphics Reality Lab
Proof: Here's a game demo, appears to also call GIGI in the Reality Lab folder - 3DLabs support maybe?
http://cd.textfiles.com/pcgamer/pcgamer014/CYBERSPD/

Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat (1995, Mindscape) and WorldView (1995, Intervista Software, VRML application) also do software rendering with Reality Lab apparently.

Perhaps Air Power is also Reality Lab-powered.

Come to think of it, found an old press release where Rendermorphics announced support for the Yamaha YGV611 (pre-Tasmania?)

Stiletto

Reply 37 of 55, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Given the Tasmania 3D press release where it says they can send in for SU-27 Flanker, CyberSpeed and Air Power, I'm guessing
a. they're all the Windows versions
b. they're all Rendermorphics Reality Lab
c. the Tasmania support is OEM only, not retail

Anyhow, I think that identifies his "unknown API" versions through some research and deductive reasoning.

Stiletto

Reply 38 of 55, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does the Tasmania 3D accelerate software rendering like the Matrox Millenium does in Nascar Racing? How does the Millenium accelerate Nascar Racing anyways, given that its pure hardware rendering has no texture support?

Reply 39 of 55, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:
Given the Tasmania 3D press release where it says they can send in for SU-27 Flanker, CyberSpeed and Air Power, I'm guessing a. […]
Show full quote

Given the Tasmania 3D press release where it says they can send in for SU-27 Flanker, CyberSpeed and Air Power, I'm guessing
a. they're all the Windows versions
b. they're all Rendermorphics Reality Lab
c. the Tasmania support is OEM only, not retail

Anyhow, I think that identifies his "unknown API" versions through some research and deductive reasoning.

A is wrong. The Tasmania 3D was made before Windows95 came out and they never made any Windows drivers, despite promising to do so.