VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I'm having some problems with the Turbo LED Switch of a new computer case that I've just got.
The problem is that the Turbo LED doesn't change the number values when I press the Turbo button.
I supposse the signal for the LED Turbo to change has to come from the Turbo Button itself?
Here are some pictures:

1st and 2nd picture shows the turbo LED 3 cable (red, black and black) connected to 2 cables coming from the MOLEX.
I see that the red and black cables provide the electricity current, I don't know that the 3rd black cable is for
and where to connect it.

3rd and 4th picture shows the back of the LED, the 4 pins are the ones that recieve the current and that are suppose to make change the value from the ON/OFF Turbo. There are 4 pins, but only 3 of them are used right now?!

5th picture is the back of the Turbo Button. 3 cables come out which are the TURBO SWITCH itself that goes to the motherboard.
So maybe I should try soldering a/some cable/s to the button itself to the TURBo LED Pin that is on the left? Just one Pin? Maybe two?

I'm completely lost!!

TMXc1b9.jpg
r6XIdks.jpg
m5XwS3t.jpg
lCCJiug.jpg
GNeAYoD.jpg
I'm a completely lost!

Reply 1 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are a couple of ways these things can work, but yours looks like he more common and slightly more complicated of the 2 I've seen. So you have your power wires, turbo switch wires, and the third black wire is probably for the turbo led connector on the motherboard. Power is obvious, the turbo switch wires go to the motherboard header and tell the motherboard to on/off the turbo function, and the single lack wire, connected to the TB LED header is what tells the LED unit to switch b/w the 2 modes you've configured via he jumpers. The trick is that there are often more (or less) pins on the header than you have wires, so it's just trial and error to see what works. Power the system up (including the motherboard) and see what works in the various positions.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 8, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanx for your answer badmojo. That single lack wire is supossed to go on a pin of the motherboard? How does the LED Panel get the signal from the Turbo Button to change? The MOBO I'm using is a Socket 7, so there's no turbo option. Nevertheless, I still want to be able to change values when on/off turbo for reasons I'll post later on.
I'm going to keep trying....But a signal is needed into the LED Panel, I just don't know yet how to activate to swtich between modes.

Reply 3 of 8, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think when you mounting the turbo switch cable to the motherboards turbo switch header, and you will switch it. Two things will happen.

1. The motherboard would go switched to turbo or non turbo mode.

2. And the Turbo Led would go switched too.. ( or the turbo led header on the motherboard) but now there is no turbo led available..

Normally the turbo led header is used to connected it to the turbo led.. But in your front panel (on the back side) i dont see any turbo led installed..
So they used this option to switch to turbo display instead with it.. to 2 modes, one on turbo mode, the other to non-turbo.. these settings you can pre configure in that display.. (its just like a light switch)

So you three pins cable to the turbo display.. The red would be the 5 volt plus header, the black wire next to it would be the minus, the other lack black cable would be the switch cable that would installed on the plus of the turbo led motherboards header.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 4 of 8, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, there's actually Turbo Led pin on the MOBO. But just for the little LED, not the "Turbo LEd Header"
So, what could I do? JOin the Turbo LEd cable with the Turbo LED HEADER cable?
9RQRRdd.jpg
oqZdP3c.png
cPHNyOD.jpg

Reply 5 of 8, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pingaloka,

Seems like your motherboard does not have the connector for the Turbo Switch. Usually it will be labelled as TB SW and will be a three-pin on the motherboard FP connector complex. TB LED or LD is only for the light to connect to the front panel on the case.

The Turbo Switch connectors are the 3-wired pin coming from the back of the Turbo button on the case. It will have to be connected on the motherboard which has a 3-pin TB SW or simply TB, not the TB LED or LD.

There are many motherboards which kept the LED headers, while dropping support for the TB SWITCH headers.

Some motherboards, have kept the functionality of the TB SW while removing any reference in the manual or removing the TB SW label from the motherboard, which means it can be an undocumented feature if there are 3 unlabelled pins on the motherboard.

And that particular LED device in the first post above does not seem to be able to support switchable numbers. Looks like it has only the power connectors to display the fixed numbers. I could be wrong regarding this though.

There's supposed to be another 3-pin wire connector connecting from the back of the Turbo Switch Button to the LED device.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 6 of 8, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:

And that particular LED device in the first post above does not seem to be able to support switchable numbers. Looks like it has only the power connectors to display the fixed numbers. I could be wrong regarding this though.

There's supposed to be another 3-pin wire connector connecting from the back of the Turbo Switch Button to the LED device.

Well, there are 2 different rows of jumpers on this Turbo Head LED. It must support 2 different set of values. Otherwise, why have the Turbo header LED? There must be a way to activate switchable numbers,
I'm going to trial and error today....!! It is a minor detail but it must be solved!! It takes my sleep away!! 😠 😠 😠 😊 😊

Reply 7 of 8, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok guys, fixed the issue! It appear, that the Motherboard has the TB Switcher pin headers. I didn't see them because they are not labelled! As Malik mentioned before.
Thanx a lot for all your tips!!!

Reply 8 of 8, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only one thing to remember..

When the pentium 1 systems came out, the turbo option didnt get important anymore.. Some first period pentium 1 board did came with those tb_led en Turb_SW options, but on middle period and late pentium 1 boards these options where removed, because no need anymore for it.. But there where also pentium 1 boards that only came with tb_led header and missing the TB_sw option..

This was because of some people used there older 486 cases to upgraded it to pentium class components.. That tb_led option was then only for cosmetic purpose so if they knew the turbo led was on the computer was running fine.. after then the full turbo option was gone forever..

~ At least it can do black and white~