VOGONS

Common searches

What do you use to rip CDs?

Topic actions

First post, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, just what it says on the tin... what do you use? I would like to rip a bunch of my discs to OGG but not sure what to use.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 2 of 28, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yup EAC and FLAC for me. Or just LPCM / uncompressed WAV even.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 5 of 28, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

EAC and FLAC here too. Although since I've replaced my old dvd burner by a blu ray / dvdr drive, I'm having lots of problems with EAC. It rips the cd but then I get silent tracks with just clicks. If anyone knows about this problem I'd appreciate the help!

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 6 of 28, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lately I use Asunder and encode to variable bit rate MP3s at 190 Kbps. It's a little on the slow side, but I believe the result is a bit accurate copy if you use a lossless format (whereas other programs might silently encode garbled tracks... [cough]Windows Media Player[/cough]).

I'm not exactly an audiophile, but I can't tell the difference between 190 Kbps VBR MP3s and the original uncompressed audio, so I figure that's good enough.

PCGames9505

Reply 8 of 28, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

wow, I haven't used an ACTUAL cd in years... I've found it's easier to just pirate anything I want. Even the stuff I've actually BOUGHT, its faster to just pirate the mp3's (or flac).

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10 of 28, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't rip my CD - I copy them into images. 😉

CDcollectionresized_zps887a147b.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 12 of 28, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote:

EAC and FLAC here too. Although since I've replaced my old dvd burner by a blu ray / dvdr drive, I'm having lots of problems with EAC. It rips the cd but then I get silent tracks with just clicks. If anyone knows about this problem I'd appreciate the help!

Not exactly a troubleshoot, but you might want to check this and this. Now that you mention it, I need to stock up on the good drives...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 13 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MMaximus wrote:

Have you tried ripping to an uncompressed WAV file? I've had mysterious problems ripping directly to compressed audio.

Reply 16 of 28, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The vast majority of Windows audio players have CD ripping built-in (Foobar, Winamp, Media Player etc.) I use AIMP for most of my CD ripping to FLAC or CBR MP3 >=192KPs since it lately has become my favorite Windows Audio Player. Best of all it can be used in portable mode - when you run the install and choose your language you can choose:

aimp.png

EAC is the king for ripping scratched CDs however.

Reply 17 of 28, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

EAC into WMA-L VBR. I went with WMA because I actually use WMP, don't like how the flac/vorbis plug-ins work, and don't have anything networked that doesn't handle WMA. I went with lossless because I have more storage than I know what to do with. So it was win-win. Thus far I've had no problems with pops/clicks/etc - I originally only intended to use EAC to handle some old CDs that WMP was having issues with, but it works so well that I just stuck with it. 😀 I still let WMP do all of the tagging though - usually what EAC finds is only marginally complete. I'm sure other applications that have auto-tagging could also do that function with ease.

On not wanting to rip CDs you've purchased: Amazon has "Auto-Rip", but you have to buy the CD or LP from them.

As far as drive quality - something I've noticed over the years is that, unfortunately, not all drives are created equally in terms of performance and quality. The best drives I've seen thus far for ripping, reading damaged discs, etc tend to be from Toshiba, and the trade-off seems to be that most of them are on the slower side (that has the "benefit" of making them quieter though). I'll add that modern Plextor drives are a joke - they're usually re-badged Lite-On or (gag me) Optiarcs, so they're nothing like the original Plextor drives of lore. The last one I tried a year or two ago died within a month. 😒

Reply 18 of 28, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
I didn't rip my CD - I copy them into images. ;) […]
Show full quote

you realize making an ISO of a red book CD uses the same process as ripping right?
it's just the output format is different

if you use crap software to make your ISO, it's a crappy rip

Reply 19 of 28, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMAN wrote:
you realize making an ISO of a red book CD uses the same process as ripping right? it's just the output format is different […]
Show full quote
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
I didn't rip my CD - I copy them into images. ;) […]
Show full quote

you realize making an ISO of a red book CD uses the same process as ripping right?
it's just the output format is different

if you use crap software to make your ISO, it's a crappy rip

I always though images are read and made bit-by-bit. And anyway, Nero does not seem to be crappy, at least the part that deals with CDs...