VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

does it support compiling protected mode exes like watcom and djgpp did? or are there any other basic compilers for dos that do?

Reply 1 of 3, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the Microsoft DOS BASIC variants were always real mode and limited to 640K. VisualBasic for DOS was also more related to QuickBasic iirc.

Turbo and Power Basic were also real mode only.

I think protected mode programming for DOS was more or less limited to Assembler, C and C++.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 3, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

I think protected mode programming for DOS was more or less limited to Assembler, C and C++.

Not entirely true, even the old Turbo/Borland Pascal 7 compiler supported 286+ 16-bit protected mode DOS target.
Also Free Pascal compiler has 386+ 32-bit protected mode support for DOS for more than 2 decades.
But to answer op's question Power Basic DOS compiler also seems to have/had support for 32-bit protected mode.
(It seems there is a problem with power basic home page, only the forum links are working currently)
https://forum.powerbasic.com/forum/user-to-us … erbasic-for-dos
https://www.powerbasic.com/pbdos.php

@Edit: Sorry, false information. PowerBasic does not seem to support 32-bit protected mode under DOS by default, root32 was right.
But you can download different packages that enable protected mode programming with PowerBasic. E.g:
ftp://ftp.pbhq.de/pbsource/dpmipb.zip

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 3 of 3, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote:

Not entirely true, even the old Turbo/Borland Pascal 7 compiler supported 286+ 16-bit protected mode DOS target.

Borland Pascal 7 did, Turbo Pascal 7 did not - this is the main difference between those two packages.

WATCOM also supports Fortran77, and DJGPP has GNAT (Ada language).