Common searches

8-Bit Guy video's are becoming a chore!

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 87, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd think Adrians Digital Basement is probably my favorite channel at the moment (well hello hello). I think his format is really good and I like his mail call videos where he actually takes the time to go through the items. Not a big fan of candy reviews though...

I have also enjoyed this channel, OLD ROBOT. It's in Russian and I can't understand a word he says (turning on the auto generated subs are hilarious translations from time to time), but some good videos of old retro builds with quality parts.

https://www.youtube.com/c/OLDROBOT

Oh, and Victor Bart also has some good retro built videos:

https://www.youtube.com/c/victorbart/videos

Reply 61 of 87, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote on 2020-11-23, 22:27:

Anyone else watching Retro Recipes? It's more style than substance sometimes but he does some fun projects and regularly makes me 🤣:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Perifractic

I don't know why and it's stupid but his voice annoys me, it's just so pleasant and softly spoken. I've the same problem with Retro Man Cave.
Both fall into the if the topic interest me viewing. RR is one of the few guys that does anything with the Amstrad PCW which I've also recently picked one up, not the biggest fan of his style but will give him credit for defining his own style.

Nostalgia Nerd seems to do specials now, most of which don't interest me which is a shame as I liked him. but again credit for trying something different.

I'm really enjoying Civvie 11 at the moment. He's funny but fair with his criticism and you know anyone that has a track from ROTT as ending credits has class

Reply 62 of 87, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2020-11-24, 10:37:

I don't know why and it's stupid but his voice annoys me, it's just so pleasant and softly spoken.

I thought I was the only one, I just can't handle the voice.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 63 of 87, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pan069 wrote on 2020-11-24, 10:09:

I'd think Adrians Digital Basement is probably my favorite channel at the moment (well hello hello). I think his format is really good and I like his mail call videos where he actually takes the time to go through the items. Not a big fan of candy reviews though...

I have also enjoyed this channel, OLD ROBOT. It's in Russian and I can't understand a word he says (turning on the auto generated subs are hilarious translations from time to time), but some good videos of old retro builds with quality parts.

https://www.youtube.com/c/OLDROBOT

+1
OLD ROBOT is indeed a very good channel. I can luckily understand russian 😀 Arthur, the ownrer, is a well known russian community member, and does a great job. He's planning a new video about Adlib Gold, AFAIK.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 64 of 87, by held

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I like Russians, especially when they speak English. At least their accent isn't as horrible as those Dutch people. Beating a dead horse with a dead bird that Dutch accent although they are straight to the point like most Russians imo.

Added Jan and Adrian to my subscription list then I stumbled on MVG that has some topics dear to my heart.

I will try watching OLDROBOT, although I must say the only Russian word I recognize is скачать

Reply 65 of 87, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've found a few new channels thanks to the search term doscember.

Last night I started watching Dave's Garage an ex MS Developer on the bits Windows he created like task manager or format but it's not just the technical side but some of the history of how it came about or how he was given the project.
He also comes across as quite humble, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it

and about the 3:06 mark on this video https://youtu.be/bikbJPI-7Kg
"all your decision points onscreen at one time in a single window"

and he says he's not a interface designer by trade, Oh how I wish he was!

Reply 66 of 87, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote on 2020-11-24, 10:56:
chinny22 wrote on 2020-11-24, 10:37:

I don't know why and it's stupid but his voice annoys me, it's just so pleasant and softly spoken.

I thought I was the only one, I just can't handle the voice.

Lady what’s her faces sound effects grind on me,
I typically mute sound and hope the captions work

Reply 67 of 87, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
held wrote on 2021-01-07, 21:38:

I like Russians, especially when they speak English. At least their accent isn't as horrible as those Dutch people. Beating a dead horse with a dead bird that Dutch accent although they are straight to the point like most Russians imo.

Added Jan and Adrian to my subscription list then I stumbled on MVG that has some topics dear to my heart.

I will try watching OLDROBOT, although I must say the only Russian word I recognize is скачать

I'm surprised to read this as Dutch are known to speak English very well and even to be the best non-native english speakers in terms of accent as well.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 68 of 87, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have seen some of the 8-bit guy videos, but generally only watch them if the topic looks interesting. He's a pretty awkward guy. The best way I can describe it is like watching a balder, nerdier version of myself. You've got to give him credit for having the balls to put his face on youtube. I'd never do it.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 69 of 87, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bondi wrote on 2021-01-08, 13:33:

I'm surprised to read this as Dutch are known to speak English very well and even to be the best non-native english speakers in terms of accent as well.

I'm Dutch but I also find the accent quite awful to listen to. A lot of Dutch people have decent English vocab, some even have great grammar but most of them aren't able to mimick the British or American accent correctly. I used to do parodies of the Dutch English accent back when I lived abroad, 🤣. That would always get a laugh from my friends.

One great (or rather terrible) example:
https://youtu.be/kjcmPVpyvJ4

He's probably just trying to do the best he can and not to disrespect him or anything but I just can't listen to him speak for more than 30 seconds.. it just bugs me too much.

Btw, I'm not saying my accent is perfect but I think I come pretty close. Still, I would probably not narrate a YT video because I'd be too conscious of my shortcomings. So, kudos to those who dare and do it anyway, I guess.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 70 of 87, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

See as a native speaker I don't mind that accent. OK its not as pleasant as say French or Italian English or distinctive as German English but it doesn't bother me as much as Retro Recipes which is a native English speaker.
Different things annoy different people I guess?

I'm not surprised that people don't like Dutch though. Below lines come from Lethal Weapon 2 talking about Afrikaans which is based on Dutch as well. I remember it as I though it was quite harsh comment!

00:23:16 That motherfucker who did talk had a strange accent. I couldn't place it.
00:23:21 Not German, not English.
00:23:22 Kind of guttural. You know, a shitty accent.

Reply 71 of 87, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I feel like most of the popular DOS Gaming videos except Adrian's Digital Basement are losing my interest lately, probably because I'm getting more and more into board level repairs (I also watch EEVBLOG a lot, he sometimes has old PC stuff as well). I'm getting more into that type of stuff anyway, that and working with alternate materials to restore old laptops (I'm expanding from Versas at some point this year so I can flip them).

I still make videos, few/nobody really views the new stuff, but I'll keep making them anyway, because it's fun to do. I'm kind of trying to keep it like 2006 - shoestring budget, candid "some random guy with a webcam and a bunch of stuff" thing. I think also the fact I have guitars and other stuff mixed in with all that makes it a little...er...crazy, but hey, if VWwestlife can do videos of Turtables and Stereos, TVs, Computers, and Shango66 can show us cool expeditions into mines and the desert, and there's another guy who has a bunch of PC stuff and auto mechanic videos whose name escapes me, why not?

Oldschool Youtuber Represent! hehe.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 72 of 87, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To be fair, a lot goes into making a decent video. My videos aren't really all that spectacular, and I put an average of 15-20 hours into each one. Shooting footage, re-shooting footage because I messed up, doing research, actually scripting stuff for a change, doing voice overs, editing, etc etc . I was talking to Dave Murray and he spends a lot more time than I do (and it shows).

I would hate to do this for a living because I would starve to death. To take something that is supposed to be therapy for me and turn it into my sole source of income would make things no fun real quick.

Adrian's always had a knack for fixing stuff. He's self trained and he's always been my go-to source for information since i installed my first modem in the late 80s.

It's funny because several years ago, his basement was empty! I sent him a craigslist link to a Micron PC (i think it was a 233mmx) and now it's bursting at the seams!

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 73 of 87, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DaveJustDave wrote on 2021-01-08, 18:26:
To be fair, a lot goes into making a decent video. My videos aren't really all that spectacular, and I put an average of 15-20 […]
Show full quote

To be fair, a lot goes into making a decent video. My videos aren't really all that spectacular, and I put an average of 15-20 hours into each one. Shooting footage, re-shooting footage because I messed up, doing research, actually scripting stuff for a change, doing voice overs, editing, etc etc . I was talking to Dave Murray and he spends a lot more time than I do (and it shows).

I would hate to do this for a living because I would starve to death. To take something that is supposed to be therapy for me and turn it into my sole source of income would make things no fun real quick.

Adrian's always had a knack for fixing stuff. He's self trained and he's always been my go-to source for information since i installed my first modem in the late 80s.

It's funny because several years ago, his basement was empty! I sent him a craigslist link to a Micron PC (i think it was a 233mmx) and now it's bursting at the seams!

Your vids are awesome though. Better than mine. Yes, it takes a Lot of work, even for the rinky-dink circa 2006-style stuff I do. Mine sometimes take months to come out. The last two laptop Videos I recorded in August and September respectively - they did not get released until last week. I actually had to download the footage from Google Photos to edit it, 🤣. Not everything I do is that way - I threw together my Atari colelction video quickly over the weekend (though rendering took 12 hours because I stupidly used my Dell Inspiron 15 to render it on Openshot), but most things can take me months to release.

I actually used to make money doing this back around 2007-2010, but it was not for my PC content, it was for my guitar content when Youtube guitarists were huge, I was basically the guy with a Fender Jag-Stang and Jaguar doing hopped-up 80's covers Even then, I could not have lived off of it, I think at one point I was making $200/mo at most through the partner program when Youtube had just been bought out by Google, but I had videos that at the time had 1.5M hits. It also was a lot easier back then because I was single and could pretty much treat my whole studio Apartment as a recording studio/guitar shop/PC shop.

I feel like Adrian and I come from the same place with our respective stuff, that's why I watch him to learn to get further with my own skills, there's just something about being passionate and self taught that does not translate well to someone who was classically taught. Watching his videos was a big part of how I learned to fix the faulty power-circuits in my Versa 40EC laptop so it would charge batteries again.

Funny thing, my username here is my youtube handle, and that handle was always a "PC related" thing. I started a website called "The Creeping Network" in 2001 - probably one of the first, if not the first x86 "vintage" IBM Compatible site that treated them as such, and originally my channel was to be the video form of that site, but it never went that way, I started posting guitar videos and that took off so that's what I did mostly from 2006-2010 while doing some NES, Atari, PC Shennanigans in the mean time just for giggles. Now I just sort of post everything since I'm a relentless tinkerer at heart.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 74 of 87, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hezus wrote on 2021-01-08, 15:00:

He's just speaking English as if it was Dutch. English and Dutch share the same alphabet but vowels and consonants are just pronounced differently .

I'm native Dutch speaker but I've lived in Australia for the past 15 years. When you're Dutch and you'll speak English day and day out, your accent tends to fade (although, I've met Dutchies who've lived here for 40+ years and still sound like Victor Bart 😆), but the accent never disappear. I can do a pretty good Aussie and various British accents impersonations by now but only in a caricature way. Oh, and distinguishing Aussie from Kiwi. That took a while to grasp. Can do a caricature Kiwi accent as well. Just say Nutflux instead of Netflix and you're halfway there 😃

Reply 75 of 87, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pan069 wrote on 2021-01-14, 05:14:

He's just speaking English as if it was Dutch. English and Dutch share the same alphabet but vowels and consonants are just pronounced differently .

I'm native Dutch speaker but I've lived in Australia for the past 15 years. When you're Dutch and you'll speak English day and day out, your accent tends to fade (although, I've met Dutchies who've lived here for 40+ years and still sound like Victor Bart 😆), but the accent never disappear. I can do a pretty good Aussie and various British accents impersonations by now but only in a caricature way. Oh, and distinguishing Aussie from Kiwi. That took a while to grasp. Can do a caricature Kiwi accent as well. Just say Nutflux instead of Netflix and you're halfway there 😃

That's really cool, IMHO! 😎 The more "colour", the better! 🙂👍

https://fanlore.org/wiki/IDIC_(glossary_term)

(Though, on the other hand, I also try my best to learn to speak plain/correct English.
You never know when you have to speak to a native speaker somewhen, after all. 😉
In such a case, as a matter of respect, it would just be nice to try to speak with less of an accent.
- Because, by watching videos I've always been remembered how harsh the German "ch" sound sounds,
if spoken by an average English speaker (like a "k"). It hurts my ears. So in reverse, I assume, it must be similar. 😅
Ironically, though, some inhabitants of Berlin do speak the "ch" wrongly like a "k", too, which must be confusing to tourists.)

Edit: Small edit.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 76 of 87, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2021-01-14, 07:27:
That's really cool, IMHO! 😎 The more "colour", the better! 🙂👍 […]
Show full quote

That's really cool, IMHO! 😎 The more "colour", the better! 🙂👍

https://fanlore.org/wiki/IDIC_(glossary_term)

(Though, on the other hand, I also try my best to learn to speak plain/correct English.
You never know when you have to speak to a native speaker somewhen, after all. 😉
In such a case, as a matter of respect, it would just be nice to try to speak with less of an accent.
- Because, by watching videos I've always been remembered how harsh the German "ch" sound sounds,
if spoken by an average English speaker (like a "k"). It hurts my ears. So in reverse, I assume, it must be similar. 😅
Ironically, though, some inhabitants of Berlin do speak the "ch" wrongly like a "k", too, which must be confusing to tourists.)

Edit: Small edit.

I've been learning German for several years now and therefore watched a lot of educational videos. And it always surprised me how differently all those native-speakers spoke German. It mostly relates to certain sounds like "ch", "r", "g" in the end of a word and others. So I ended up myself with a mix of all those variations plus some sounds form swiss-deutsch, that manifest sometimes, as I used to work in a swiss company 😁.
But the funniest is an english-speaker speakig German https://youtu.be/7HR9uce13ec?t=805

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 77 of 87, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can do a caricature Kiwi accent as well. Just say Nutflux instead of Netflix and you're halfway there 😃

That made me laugh more then it should but it's spot on (well from the Aussie side, not sure what our kiwi brothers would say)

Reply 78 of 87, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is snake in the flower. Beware if you see whole phrase: скачать без регистрации и СМС. 😉

Reply 79 of 87, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As for the topic:
I've always enjoyed 8 bit guy videos and I still do. I wouldn't say he has lost his passion, especially when he's talking about the games he is programming. I guess sometimes you'll have to cover something you're less passionate about.. his income depends on it, so he doesn't have the luxury of waiting for something better.

His presentation style isn't as good as some other YTs, imho, but it has some charm to it. His whole appearance is prototype dorky (including white socks and sandals) and he just doesn't care (or doesn't notice, 🤣). He has his audience that shares his nerdy pleasures and it's all fine. That's the great thing about YT.

I find myself less interested in retro tech video's because I've seen most of it by now. I just can't watch another generic 486 being put together. I still watch most LGR videos because he often has unique stuff and I like his style. He's just funny and pleasant to listen to. I also enjoy episodes of Tech Tangents or Adrian's Digital Basement where they delve deeper into technical topics, to actually learn something instead of just being entertained.

Visit my YT Channel!