VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if you had this experience too.

I was a complete DOS gamer during the first half of the 90's. Fully immersed in the scene, I tried virtually every game. Or so I thought. The truth is that the scene was much larger than me, and it's rare for one person to experience *everything*.

And so, perhaps we all have at least one old game on our list which slipped under the radar. Something which is found on modern retro best-of lists, or famous compilations, but somehow, for some strange twists of fate, you never really heard of it back then. You only found out about it (in detail) much later in life.

This thread is an opportunity for you to recount your own example, and add some relevant trivia around it if you like.

--

For me, a key candidate is Blackthorne. In the 90's I played through the Prince of Persias, the Another Worlds and Flashbacks etc, among hundreds of other things, and 1994 was one of my peak years. And yet somehow, the Blackthorne name was only the vaguest bare awareness in my mind until very recent years, when I saw it in the above-linked image and finally looked it up - quarter of a century late!

My excuse is that, in 1994-5, too many other areas of life were starting to heavily intrude upon my video gaming - the distractions of late teens. I'm sure some of you fell into similar traps!

Of course, back then Blizzard barely existed and certainly had no household fame. Together with The Lost Vikings (1993) and Warcraft : Orcs And Humans (near simultaneous release with BT ~late 1994), Blackthorne made up (what I consider to be) the triumvirate of top-tier pre-Windows games created by this fledging team prior to their subsequent far greater fame in Windows gaming.

So.. what's the famous old game you missed out on??

Last edited by Shreddoc on 2021-09-09, 03:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably Archon and Starflight. I loved Star Control 2 in the day, so why didn't I play these earlier!?

Alley Cat's another that's unknown to me until all those oldwa...i mean "abandonware" sites idolized it and i've had played a *lot* of XT-era games before that point (that were available in the US, anyway). I'm assuming it's way more known across Europe.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 12, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had never heard of the Screamer series or Blood until 2/3 years ago. Don't think I ever heard of Blackthorne either. I place Blood in my top 10 games played and Screamer 2/Rally are really really fun games I keep going back to. I don't enjoy the original screamer as much, the animations don't do it for me. I much prefer Ridge Racer and Daytona.

Reply 3 of 12, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wing Commander. No lies, I just never ran into it for the longest time. My first recollection of 'Wing Commander' is the movie, which I've never seen, but I remember the bullet time sequence in commercials. I'm since aware of the game series, it's evolution from pixel art cut scenes to FMV and even having Mark Hamill on the cast, though I've still never played any game in the series.

Reply 4 of 12, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never heard of Final Fantasy series until FF7 became extremely popular.

A similar but different experience was Biohazard / Resident Evil series: many friends of mine told me how frightening it was but I didn't have a chance to play it until years later, when I was already a System Shock 2 veteran. Naturally RE gave me a "you call that frightening?" response.

Reply 7 of 12, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Frontier: First Encounters

Considering that Fronter: Elite II was one of my favorite games in the 1990s, it's very strange that I never heard about the sequel. I would have bought it in an instant.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 8 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Albion

It's a game that should've been right up my alley in 1996, but I never heard of it til modern times. Sadly, when I finally got the chance to play it several years ago, I couldn't get past a couple of showstoppers. 🙁 It remains a game I'd love to play but can't.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 9 of 12, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I missed so many "classic" games in the 80's and 90's, because I was sticking to specific games and as I was a kid, there wasn't much beyond whatever I could get my hands on or convince my parents to buy for me. As an adult, I've acquired many games via GOG and poking around local thrift stores, but I have to piece together a retro PC to play a lot of them properly.

Reply 10 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2021-09-26, 03:16:

Frontier: First Encounters

Considering that Fronter: Elite II was one of my favorite games in the 1990s, it's very strange that I never heard about the sequel. I would have bought it in an instant.

I remember seeing the teaser shots for it, then nothing... until I found it in early noughties when looking up FE2 stuff. I was thinking "Wow, I didn't know it actually released."

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.