VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since we have a topic on things we regret getting rid of, I thought it would be appropriate to have a topic where we can discuss things you regret passing up on during store visits.

At one point, I remember finding a Toshiba Pentium 1 laptop at a Value Village store. I used to regret passing up on it, but I've managed to find a few Pentium 1 laptops to make up for it.

In 2015, I remember finding a Nintendo 64 with its original AC adapter at a different Value Village location, and I now regret passing up on it since my Nintendo 64 is in rough condition and has a cheap replacement AC adapter.

On the year after that, I found a Professional Betacam SP camcorder at RE-PC (our local recycling center), now a certain YouTuber who reviews vintage tech has one. I also didn't know they had PVMs at RE-PC in 2017 until recently when I stumbled upon this video from said YouTuber. If I had known about PVMs and how desirable they were for retro gaming I personally would've bought the Panasonic PVM from that video.

What are your unpurchased store finds that you regret passing up on?

Reply 1 of 13, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Roland SCC-1 for ~$200 on eBay a couple of years ago. I hesitated, hit refresh, and it was gone 🙁

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 2 of 13, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many.
The TOP3 are probably:

Roland Sound Canvas sc-55
2 or 3 years ago a couple of months apart two of them turned up on a local trading site for around $100. I was about to buy my apartment.

S3 Savage 2000
I procrastinated and it's got sold.

A bunch of older physical games. They were cheap and abundant, then they all disappeared like they never existed. Last time was a copy of Aliens vs. Predator 2 last week for $5. I forgot about the auction.

This is the first 3 things that comes to my mind.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 13, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-02-16, 17:48:

A bunch of older physical games. They were cheap and abundant, then they all disappeared like they never existed. Last time was a copy of Aliens vs. Predator 2 last week for $5. I forgot about the auction.

AvP2 luckily isn't quite as unobtanium as one might think, they do pop up from time to time even as big boxes. I got mine couple years ago for 10€.

But yeah, I've been collecting physical games for some time now and some on my list are really hard to come by and/or are expensive as hell. Brexit didn't help with that, postage fees from UK got pretty obnoxious and UK was my primary source.

Reply 4 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since joining vogons 3 bits of hardware showed up on ebay in large quantities at a good price. Even at the time I knew I should grab one of a few but talked myself out of it each time
NEC XR385 Daughterboards
Aural Vortex 2 soundcard
P3 1Ghz Slot 1 CPU w/ 100FSB

Reply 5 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2022-02-17, 08:57:
Since joining vogons 3 bits of hardware showed up on ebay in large quantities at a good price. Even at the time I knew I should […]
Show full quote

Since joining vogons 3 bits of hardware showed up on ebay in large quantities at a good price. Even at the time I knew I should grab one of a few but talked myself out of it each time
NEC XR385 Daughterboards
Aural Vortex 2 soundcard
P3 1Ghz Slot 1 CPU w/ 100FSB

I regret not buying a ESS Solo-1 with both Wavetable header and SBlink on the card for 10 USD, I blinked and it was gone.

Is there something special about the 100FSB Slot 1 P3s?

Reply 6 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-17, 09:07:

1Ghz CPU's (and maybe or or 2 below) demand a premium being the fastest of the 100FSB unless you want ot mess round with slocket adapters
600Mhz Katmai also sell for a bit more been the fastest some motherboards take
Something like a 500Mhz on the other hand you can't give away.

Reply 7 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2022-02-17, 09:35:
1Ghz CPU's (and maybe or or 2 below) demand a premium being the fastest of the 100FSB unless you want ot mess round with slocket […]
Show full quote

1Ghz CPU's (and maybe or or 2 below) demand a premium being the fastest of the 100FSB unless you want ot mess round with slocket adapters

so what you are telling me is to grab any 100FSB 1ghz P3 Slot 1 cpus I run across if they are a good price.

Reply 8 of 13, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the chance to buy a Roland MPU-IPC-T breakout box locally for $15 last year. I passed on it, as the chances of the required ISA card appearing were zero. A few months later, the card popped up on ebay for $50. Then I had to get the breakout box from Canada, paying around $120 to get it here. In the current market, it wasn't a terrible spend overall. But I was kicking myself.

Reply 9 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2022-02-17, 09:35:
1Ghz CPU's (and maybe or or 2 below) demand a premium being the fastest of the 100FSB unless you want ot mess round with slocket […]
Show full quote

I found a Slot 1 P3 1ghz 100FSB ...then I found the price and nearly died

Even if it is NOS in a sealed shrink wrapped box .. its not worth $700 AUD

Reply 11 of 13, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I missed a TV tuner for Thinkpad 755 series laptops several years ago. BIN for just USD 40. Cannot forgive myself for not buying it. Never seen one since.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 13 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was a "scrap" lot of CPUs a couple years ago for $100 on eBay. Had a Cyrix 5x86-133 in the lot as well as some other Cyrix CPUs.

Was thinking about getting the lot but waited just a bit too long and it was gone....

Oh yeah, another seller on eBay had two AudioTrix Pro sound cards. One with the daughter boards and one without. I bought the one without and then kicked myself later for not spending the extra ~$50 US to get the one with the daughter boards.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK