VOGONS

Common searches

Hey Vogonians, what are your other hobbies?

Topic actions

First post, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Me, Trains, wargaming minis, and painting.

My interest in puters has waned over the last few months. But I feel it coming back. I have to sell some stuff to be able to afford what I now want to buy.

Reply 1 of 76, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tinkering with bikes and photography. And I'm trying to get into making music, which is a slow process.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 2 of 76, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Collecting movies on Blu Ray (and DVD, if otherwise unavailable, or VHS if really hard pressed) and music on audio CD is a hobby of sorts for me .

I scour pawn shops, thrift stores, garage sales, flea markets and the like for second hand stuff, but I do buy new as well .

I do dabble in photography as well .

Tinkering with audio is also a pastime of sorts for me .

Reply 4 of 76, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Kreshna-Aryaguna-Nurzaman-JBL-120-Ti.jpg
Mains.

Kreshna-Aryaguna-Nurzaman-JBL-4410.jpg
Center.

Kreshna-Aryaguna-Nurzaman-Sansui-AU-7900.jpg
My most favorite amplifier.

Rotel-RV-555-RESIZED.jpg
This is not mine, but stirs my interests nonetheless.

Kreshna-Aryaguna-Nurzaman-JBL-L20-T-driven-by-Rotel-RB-985.jpg
Kreshna-Aryaguna-Nurzaman-B-W-DM302-driven-by-Rotel-RB-985.jpg
Comparing JBL L20Ts (above) with B&W DM302 (below).

Kinda obvious, isn't it?

Sometimes I also do weird things, like replacing my home theater setup with an old Aiwa mini component system to test Dynaco QD-2.

Aiwa-in-home-theater-02.jpg
(Temporarily) replacing the AV receiver and power amplifier with an old Aiwa...

Aiwa-in-home-theater-03.jpg
...in order to test the Qynaco QD-2 above.

This is probably still related to computers, but I'm pretty much obsessed about printing my own game manuals.

game-manuals-self-printed.jpg
The original manuals aren't even spiral-bound.

In any case, I'm not a car enthusiast despite the following photo. I merely inherited the car from my late dad.

Kreshna-Aryaguna-Nurzaman-FJ40-Land-Cruiser.jpg
No, I'm not a car enthusiast, but this car carries a lot of memories.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 76, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rmay635703 wrote on 2022-08-01, 01:29:

Antique electric car

Something like this?

vintage-electric-cars.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 7 of 76, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I draw & paint. Mostly portraits / figures.

Attachments

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 8 of 76, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

pinball (real not virtual), kendo, boardgaming (dungeon crawlers, + hex+counter wargames), mini painting, cooking

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 9 of 76, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which paints do you use? By no exaggeration I've spent over 700$ in paint in the last 2 months, mostly artists acrylics. But I have yet to break the seal of my Army Painter Mega set. Do I really need it at this point, given the issues I've read about. But to my door it cost 90$ so I figured it must have been a good deal. I'll probably sell it though.

Reply 11 of 76, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pretty much all hobbies summarized in two photos

zq7tHLwh.jpg

vlHEYAfh.jpg

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 12 of 76, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dabble a bit in astrophotography though I've been a bit too busy with other things this year. Here is a picture of Saturn I took a few years back (details):

saturn.png
Filename
saturn.png
File size
38.84 KiB
Views
File comment
Saturn
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I also do a lot of software development (which also happens to be my day job). Lately I've been resurrecting Kermit 95 (which was open-sourced about a decade back) as C-Kermit for Windows - basically getting it building with modern compilers, replacing the features that couldn't be open-sourced, re-enabling stuff that was disabled because of obsolete dependencies, etc. Mostly ANSI C with a touch of C++.

ckw.png
Filename
ckw.png
File size
16.57 KiB
Views
File comment
C-Kermit for Windows
File license
Public domain

I've also got two weather stations - one at home and one at the family holiday home. But really they're just an excuse to build my own weather station software. C++ and Python mostly with a bit of JavaScript, ANSI-C and PL/pgSQL. Web interface is nothing remarkable (really need to overhault it), but the optional desktop interface looks like this:

desktop.png
Filename
desktop.png
File size
310.23 KiB
Views
File comment
weather station software wot I made
File license
Public domain

Reply 13 of 76, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chris2021 wrote on 2022-08-01, 19:55:

Which paints do you use? By no exaggeration I've spent over 700$ in paint in the last 2 months, mostly artists acrylics. But I have yet to break the seal of my Army Painter Mega set. Do I really need it at this point, given the issues I've read about. But to my door it cost 90$ so I figured it must have been a good deal. I'll probably sell it though.

If were talking mini painting, I have sets of Reaper Master Series HD (yellow label ones). Army Painter mega set is actually really nice. I use army painter prmier in spray cans. good stuff!

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 14 of 76, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have been known to screw around with, cars, telescopes, model airplanes, amateur science, radio, OTA/FTA TV, electronics, basic woodwork and metalwork, general household DIY, bicycles, camping, boats, and have started to learn half a dozen programming languages half a dozen times, also read a bit, sci-fi, thriller, historical, science, and about all previous interests. Bit ADD about my interests, something consumes me for a few months and then I'm back to one of the others. Might see evidence of that in computer meddling too, this time last year I was into s370, now I'm on a 775 and AM2 kick.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 15 of 76, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Conquering worlds and submerging them into chaos (also start a religios cult here and there, for good measure). This hobby is not without its risks though. Some pesky elf may kill you (I hate it when that happens, totally ruins conquering streak) and some dark wizard may try to enslave your soul afterwards. But good fun overall.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 16 of 76, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BloodyCactus wrote on 2022-08-02, 01:03:

If were talking mini painting, I have sets of Reaper Master Series HD (yellow label ones). Army Painter mega set is actually really nice. I use army painter prmier in spray cans. good stuff!

Many of these paint lines have their own unique problems. Generally Vallejo is hailed as the best or nearly so. But their reds and yellows bite the big one, even to that extent with their "bona fide" artist paints, if they even make them anymore. It's nice to have a big 48 color set. But I've invested a lot of money in Golden fluids and soflats. So I'm wondering if I should even bother with any actual mini paint lines. I could always fall back on wallyworld craft paints. Some aren't too bad.

I wanted the Vallejo medieval set pretty badly, then they raised the price about 8 clams so I decided to wait. But some of their paints are so piss poor I don't think I should bother.

I primed a bunch of minis with a brush using rustoleum white primer. After 2 coats no detail was obscured so I'll just stick with that. Of course air brushing makes much more sense,.seeing I now have 2 compressors and 2 air brushes.

Reply 17 of 76, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I paint little toy soldiers (wargaming miniatures). More can be found on my IG.

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 18 of 76, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man people paint them in all colors. To my eternal shame I bought nearly 200$ in space marines in barely more then a week. And none were boxed, only sprues. They're so crazy expensive, I really have to believe gdw is a cleverly disguised internaltionsl money launderimg operation. I ain't buying anymore.

I'll also badger you to tell me which paints you use.

Reply 19 of 76, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chris2021 wrote on 2022-08-02, 21:22:

Man people paint them in all colors. To my eternal shame I bought nearly 200$ in space marines in barely more then a week. And none were boxed, only sprues. They're so crazy expensive, I really have to believe gdw is a cleverly disguised internaltionsl money launderimg operation. I ain't buying anymore.

I'll also badger you to tell me which paints you use.

Overbuying plastic crack is a pitfall, avoid it. Buy what you can paint, the plastic backlog is a soulcrusher.

I use Vallejo Model Color paints and Army Painter Ink Washes (they are now called just Washes I believe).

However, the paint you use is really not too relevant. Some paints have poor coverage, some have more satin finishes, and some are a bit more grainy due to larger pigments - but you learn to work with them all. Take these attached photos for example, those models were painted exclusively with Plaid FolkArt craft acrylics.

Just practice and don't expect miracles right away. Reaper paints are a good price/performance option for a starter, I feel. Stay away from Army Painter warpaints. GW is hideously overpriced. Vallejo Game Color is pretty good for miniatures but most of the range is a bit too saturated and a bit too satin for my tastes. Vallejo Model Color has more pastel/earthy tones and has a more matte finish but is less durable. Get the Reaper or Vallejo Game Color starter set and then add colors from Vallejo Game Color and Model Color range as you require would be my suggestion. DO NOT invest in a 200 color starter set, it is counter productive.

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.