VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1220 of 3949, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Dege wrote:

Didn't you install DirectX SDK previously?
Bad performance in Kiss could be explained by forced DX10/11 debug mode to the game (or a folder containing the game) in the DX Control Panel app (by accident or sg like that).

I'm afraid I don't understand you right now. I haven't run any DX SDK AFAIK. Perhaps Steam has done it before launching a specific game. But I myself haven't done it.

Reply 1221 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rod Primitive wrote:

I'm afraid I don't understand you right now. I haven't run any DX SDK AFAIK. Perhaps Steam has done it before launching a specific game. But I myself haven't done it.

D3DCompiler_43 is part of the MS DirectX SDK and gets installed along with that.
This SDK is for DirectX developers that's why I wondered why you have it already, but indeed, it probably got installed by a DX11 game for you.

Reply 1222 of 3949, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Dege wrote:

D3DCompiler_43 is part of the MS DirectX SDK and gets installed along with that.
This SDK is for DirectX developers that's why I wondered why you have it already, but indeed, it probably got installed by a DX11 game for you.

Understood.
So I don't need to unpack yet another one in Sys32 then?

Reply 1224 of 3949, by JJXB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey. First post here.
On testing with the WIP from pg60 (and D3DCompiler_43.dll in the system32 folder), postal 2 gives

An error has occurred. If you continually get the same error, try loading a different save file, submit a bug report, and/or che […]
Show full quote

An error has occurred. If you continually get the same error, try loading a different save file, submit a bug report, and/or check the Support Forums for assistance.

POSTAL 2 Build Oct 7 2015 18:31:08

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 2696 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: \\.\DISPLAY1 (0)
Level: Startup.fuk - Untitled

General protection fault!

History: FD3DDynamicVertexStream::AddVertices <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetDynamicStream <- USpriteEmitter::RenderParticles <- AEmitter::Render <- FDynamicActor::Render <- RenderLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FCameraSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

copied direct from the window.
using the latest version of P2 as of 23rd Nov 2015 on Windows 10 64-bit and i'm fairly certain it uses D3D8. any way to tell otherwise?
oh and specs in case you need them for any diagnostics (because P2 runs like arse even on this when native):
i7 5700HQ
Nvidia GTX 980M

Reply 1227 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain and X2: The Threat are about perfect but with X2 there's also the issue of ingame AA not working.

Attachments

Reply 1228 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Temple of Elemental Evil now works (it's D3D8 apparently) and while you can get the game working natively, dgVoodoo2 seems to be much more cooperative. TemplePlus seems like the best way to play it in the future, but 0.1 versions and long RPGs don't seem like the best combination.

Reply 1230 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rod Primitive wrote:

Will dgVoodoo make Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay work on newer systems?
And I don't mean that shitty Assault On Dark Athena remake.

Not unless dgVoodoo gets OpenGL suppport. This was one of the games I had in mind when I asked about it.

Reply 1232 of 3949, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

D3DCompiler_43.DLL is part of DirectX End-User Runtime: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/179113

Some time ago I believe EULA prohibited redistribution of DX End-User Runtime DLLs with applications.
The end-user runtime is usually installed with games, so many users already have it...perhaps it would be best to link to it, instead of copying files manually to system32?

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 1234 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aqrit wrote:

FireFox ships D3DCompiler_43.dll, and D3DCompiler_47.dll
I'd recommend looking for their discussion(s) around the legality of distributing.

Edit: shipping D3DCompiler_47 is legit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=294840

gulikoza wrote:

D3DCompiler_43.DLL is part of DirectX End-User Runtime: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/179113

Some time ago I believe EULA prohibited redistribution of DX End-User Runtime DLLs with applications.
The end-user runtime is usually installed with games, so many users already have it...perhaps it would be best to link to it, instead of copying files manually to system32?

Yes, it's legit. I only don't like its huge size.
That's why I neither want to include it in the package, nor want to link it statically to each wrapper dll. It all would turn into a size of MBs bloatware.

The compiler dll is not needed to be copied into System32. Of course it can be copied into each game folder next to the dgVoodoo dlls.
I only think the System32 is the best place because it's enough to copy it once and that's all. You won't forget copying it to another game folders, etc.
(I don't know why some version of the compiler is not part of the OS, especially that it can't be avoided for generating SM4 or higher shader code, unlike in case of old, DX9 level shader code.)

JJXB wrote:
Hey. First post here. […]
Show full quote

Hey. First post here.

On testing with the WIP from pg60 (and D3DCompiler_43.dll in the system32 folder), postal 2 gives

An error has occurred. If you continually get the same error, try loading a different save file, submit a bug report, and/or che […]
Show full quote

An error has occurred. If you continually get the same error, try loading a different save file, submit a bug report, and/or check the Support Forums for assistance.

POSTAL 2 Build Oct 7 2015 18:31:08

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 2696 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: \\.\DISPLAY1 (0)
Level: Startup.fuk - Untitled

General protection fault!

History: FD3DDynamicVertexStream::AddVertices <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetDynamicStream <- USpriteEmitter::RenderParticles <- AEmitter::Render <- FDynamicActor::Render <- RenderLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FCameraSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

copied direct from the window.
using the latest version of P2 as of 23rd Nov 2015 on Windows 10 64-bit and i'm fairly certain it uses D3D8. any way to tell otherwise?
oh and specs in case you need them for any diagnostics (because P2 runs like arse even on this when native):
i7 5700HQ
Nvidia GTX 980M

Thanks for the reports to everybody! I'll investigate all cases and fix bugs.

Reply 1236 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got X-Wing from the current Steam sale and noticed a DDraw bug. If you go to the menu by pressing Esc and then return to the game, part of the screen (mostly cockpit and hud) becomes solid black. This happens in D3D and software mode and with both 2.45 and the current WIP. The issue is not present when running the game natively.

025217DD4309075CADBBA862C3C9E4E3917CB5C2

Reply 1237 of 3949, by VEG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BTW, I suggest you to not use any packers for dll files. It slows down starting application a bit, also antivirus programs often don't like packed dll and exe files. I think that 7z archive is good enough for distribution of the dgVoodoo 😀 I think that the result 7z archive will be even smaller with the original unpacked dll files.

Best regards, Evgeny

Reply 1238 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

... (I know that SC2 is a pathological case for rendering glitches&bugs, but maybe it can give you much more insight in the inner workings 😁 )

Question of viewpoint. 😁
Splinter Cells are very good test cases because they create and use tons of DX8 shaders. I was worrying about how to test my implementation and now I have my gruel... 😀
I'd rather say native support of old shader stuff seems to be a pathological case.
I've already fixed video playback, funky colors in SC1, the water and nightvisions in SC2.

Doing sg with the shadow and performance are left.

teleguy wrote:

I got X-Wing from the current Steam sale and noticed a DDraw bug. If you go to the menu by pressing Esc and then return to the game, part of the screen (mostly cockpit and hud) becomes solid black. This happens in D3D and software mode and with both 2.45 and the current WIP. The issue is not present when running the game natively.

Is it only with the Steam version?

VEG wrote:

BTW, I suggest you to not use any packers for dll files. It slows down starting application a bit, also antivirus programs often don't like packed dll and exe files. I think that 7z archive is good enough for distribution of the dgVoodoo 😀 I think that the result 7z archive will be even smaller with the original unpacked dll files.

Unfortunately AV is shouting to dgVoodoo without compression too because the dlls are linked without VS crt, I tried it. 🙁

ZellSF wrote:

The Longest Journey seems to suffer from a minor regression: in the main menu if you mouse over elements there will be some corruption when the cursor changes.

Could you send a screenshot plz? I tried it quickly yesterday but didn't notice any corruption.

Reply 1239 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
teleguy wrote:

Is it only with the Steam version?

I just tried the GOG version and it does the same thing.