VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2420 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

Meaning loading a dll in place of dxgi.dll directly from dgVoodoo?
Technically it wouldn't be a problem at all, I just don't know how to solve it on the config side.
Maybe having a new tabpage in the configurator, labeled 'Extras'? Where one could define a custom hook dll, or, could enable displaying of detected DX/Glide version, etc.

Yes, it would be awesome to avoid any possible problem with ReShade installation. Just put ReShade32 DLL in the same folder and you're good to go!
And m0ar 😁 monitoring stuff is always welcome (DX/Glide version, VRAM occupation, GPU occupation and frame time/average FPS)

And maybe prepare the future for DX9 (32 and 64 bit) support.....

Reply 2421 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
Yes, it would be awesome to avoid any possible problem with ReShade installation. Just put ReShade32 DLL in the same folder and […]
Show full quote
Dege wrote:

Meaning loading a dll in place of dxgi.dll directly from dgVoodoo?
Technically it wouldn't be a problem at all, I just don't know how to solve it on the config side.
Maybe having a new tabpage in the configurator, labeled 'Extras'? Where one could define a custom hook dll, or, could enable displaying of detected DX/Glide version, etc.

Yes, it would be awesome to avoid any possible problem with ReShade installation. Just put ReShade32 DLL in the same folder and you're good to go!
And m0ar 😁 monitoring stuff is always welcome (DX/Glide version, VRAM occupation, GPU occupation and frame time/average FPS)

And maybe prepare the future for DX9 (32 and 64 bit) support.....

Isn't 64bit D3D9 an overkill? 😀
I think apps written for 64bit D3D9 are all FL 9.3 which should still be well supported on Win10 and modern hw.
Maybe FL 9.1 and 9.2, but since D3D11 defines and supports feature levels beginnig from 9.1, I'm not sure, they are supposed to work through D3D9 interfaces too (aside from some piece of shader code of v1.x/2.x(?)).

Reply 2422 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

Isn't 64bit D3D9 an overkill? 😀
I think apps written for 64bit D3D9 are all FL 9.3 which should still be well supported on Win10 and modern hw.

Uhmmmm.

64 bit D3D9 "elder" 😁 applications:

Far Cry
Unreal Tournament 2004
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

Hellgate: London (D3D10 version too)
Crysis / Crysis Warhead / Crysis Wars (D3D10 version too)

Reply 2426 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nucleoprotein wrote:

@Dege
D3D9 support will be nice, maybe you fix by this Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2 performance problems (I described most of that problems here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/292120/discussi … 533172696297784)

The list of D3D9 issues will grow over time:
*No Landmasses Reflections in Far Cry (2004)
*No correct Thermal Vision in Chaos Theory (AMD and NVidia, Intel GPUs+drivers have no issues in Chaos Theory)

Reply 2427 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

More Glide demoscene demos for Dege to test:
https://demozoo.org/productions/tagged/glide/
(except Virhe which you've already tested)

Please let us know if any of these prove to be non-Glide. Some might be for DOS but you should be able to test these with Doxbox+Glide wrapper patch.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2431 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:
Installers are working great on Win 10 64 ;) […]
Show full quote

Installers are working great on Win 10 64 😉

Radeon 7580 Native Crimson 16.7.3
Native.png

dgVoodoo2 2.52
dg_Voodoo2_252.png

host image

*dgVoodoo2 seems to not use all the GPU power (low occupation)
*CPU occupation is low too
=1/4 framerate

Could be your GPU is falsely identifying the demo as being "low-power" (e.g. uses as much rendering power as the Windows desktop). If possible, have you tried adding a graphics profile for the game in your GPU config panel and setting "Power Management" (or equivalent) to something like "Prefer maximum performance"?

Reply 2432 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will try with and NVidia GPU!
But Dege stated that the focus is NOT on performance (but obviously on compatibility), my report was purely informative :p

A strange problem with Intel GPU: setting in-game to 1920x1080 (my max monitor resolution) I get sometimes an overscan/underscan behaviour (picture stretched OVER the monitor frame with "Unspecified" selection in dgVoodoo2 Scaling Mode entry) and ONLY using 1920x1080 (the max resolution). No problems @inferior resolutions.
No problem at all with the AMD Radeon.

DgVoodoo2 issue or Intel drivers issue? :p

Reply 2433 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Expack3 wrote:
lowenz wrote:
Installers are working great on Win 10 64 ;) […]
Show full quote

Installers are working great on Win 10 64 😉

Radeon 7580 Native Crimson 16.7.3
Native.png

dgVoodoo2 2.52
dg_Voodoo2_252.png

host image

*dgVoodoo2 seems to not use all the GPU power (low occupation)
*CPU occupation is low too
=1/4 framerate

Could be your GPU is falsely identifying the demo as being "low-power" (e.g. uses as much rendering power as the Windows desktop). If possible, have you tried adding a graphics profile for the game in your GPU config panel and setting "Power Management" (or equivalent) to something like "Prefer maximum performance"?

Well, the thing is, it's not.
Thanks for pointing this out.
I ran this demo again and saw that GPU usage alternated between (30-40%) for me, also, got low CPU usage. (How many CPU cores do you have, Lowenz? 28% must be more than one thread which is strange. Or, maybe the driver utilizes background threading like nVidia drivers.)
I was manage to trace down the cause of the performance bottleneck, and quickly rewrote the code part in question in the wrapper.
With WIP25_1 I got 300-400 FPS and now ~1100, GPU usage is always near 94%. (Why this AMD R7 360 feels so crappy for me? I feel I get better performance with an AMD HD 7850).
Couldn't test it natively because then it just freezed for me.

Also did some quick tests with SC and SCPT and depending on the scenes, I got some nice FPS increasing.
The only problem is that this modification is risky as it affects the internals of the polygon drawing, so I have to do a big test party again. 😒 😒

daniel_u wrote:

Here are some demos from Nvidia. It's possible that the installers need windows xp to do the work. You can use a virtual machine to install and get the files.

http://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos#!/geforce-mx

Thanks for that! Most of the demos are OpenGL though (including Zoltar).

Stiletto wrote:
More Glide demoscene demos for Dege to test: https://demozoo.org/productions/tagged/glide/ (except Virhe which you've already te […]
Show full quote

More Glide demoscene demos for Dege to test:
https://demozoo.org/productions/tagged/glide/
(except Virhe which you've already tested)

Please let us know if any of these prove to be non-Glide. Some might be for DOS but you should be able to test these with Doxbox+Glide wrapper patch.

Thanks for this one too! I've only tried the Windows ones and ran nice! 😀

---
a thing from the past:

Vivien wrote:
I did a quick test of the game Hype The Time Quest in 3dfx mode and experienced the following issues: […]
Show full quote

I did a quick test of the game Hype The Time Quest in 3dfx mode and experienced the following issues:

* The sword has a rectangular outline.
* The crossbow is not see-through.
* The shield is square instead of round.
* 3dfx mode only works when initial state of Glide rendering is windowed.

These issues do not appear in D3D mode nor when using nGlide 1.5.

Also the graphics look a bit better when forcing 1920x1080 rather than unforced 640x480. But I only figured out this was possible after taking the screenshots. 😀

System specs: Windows 7 64-bit, AMD Radeon HD 7900 series GPU (v16.3.2), dgVoodoo 2.52 & D3DCompiler_43.

8G7MmMo.jpg

The rendering issues are fixed, however intializing Glide and cooperating with DX is so poorly written in this game that I still couldn't fix the fullscreen issue.
It seems to be very hard to handle it, so I keep at the D3D version for now (that one runs without any compatibility patching).

Also,

Truth Unknown wrote:
Still getting mip-map corruption on Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst. http://i.imgur.com/g2wOcQG.png […]
Show full quote

Still getting mip-map corruption on Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst.
g2wOcQG.png

I'd like to fix it but I don't know how to install this game.

Reply 2435 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
Truth Unknown wrote:
Still getting mip-map corruption on Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst. http://i.imgur.com/g2wOcQG.png […]
Show full quote

g2wOcQG.png

I'd check out this private Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst server, which includes the installer and a handy beginner's guide.

Reply 2436 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

Also did some quick tests with SC and SCPT and depending on the scenes, I got some nice FPS increasing.
The only problem is that this modification is risky as it affects the internals of the polygon drawing, so I have to do a big test party again. 😒 😒

I will love to test SC and SCPT with the new 'performance' fix.

Dege wrote:
daniel_u wrote:

Here are some demos from Nvidia. It's possible that the installers need windows xp to do the work. You can use a virtual machine to install and get the files.

http://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos#!/geforce-mx

Thanks for that! Most of the demos are OpenGL though (including Zoltar).

Sorry, I didnt know they were OGL. At least something good came from (The performance fix)

Reply 2437 of 3949, by Truth Unknown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Expack3 wrote:
Dege wrote:
Truth Unknown wrote:
Show full quote

g2wOcQG.png

I'd check out this private Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst server, which includes the installer and a handy beginner's guide.

Expack3 linked to the game, there is anti-cheat detection bundled so I don't know if that would affect debugging. Maybe talking to the staff there if you have trouble could help.

Reply 2438 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dege, I contacted the company holding the rights of the old and no more supported Virtu MVP ( http://www.anandtech.com/show/5728/intel-z77- … s-and-biostar/2 ), to ask them to release the source code on github.....maybe you can include some elements of it to optimize the handling of the integrated GPU if the monitor is only connected to a dedicated GPU.

Reply 2439 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, thanks for the stuffs, I'll have a look.

Here is the new WIP, please report if something is broken (flashing corrupted polygons):

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP25_2.zip

I've done tests but didn't tested yet everything of course.

Edit: Pandora Tomorrow are locking surface(s) during rendering which is a general bottleneck, so it doesn't run at max GPU usage, but fast vidmem access helps a bit.