VOGONS

WIP versions

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 160 of 1111, by Nucleoprotein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Dege
Tomb Raider 3 is crashing after going to "sun glasses menu" then entering "passport - load/save game menu" - this is because TR3 uses static buffer (600 bytes) for display resolutions list and list is too big so it overwrites some memory.
Can you add option to limit supported resolution list ? I think this problem can occur in some other games too.

Reply 161 of 1111, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nucleoprotein wrote:

@Dege
Tomb Raider 3 is crashing after going to "sun glasses menu" then entering "passport - load/save game menu" - this is because TR3 uses static buffer (600 bytes) for display resolutions list and list is too big so it overwrites some memory.
Can you add option to limit supported resolution list ? I think this problem can occur in some other games too.

For me TR3(steam) with latest WIP shows white textures. Even the items from the ring menu have this issue.
@Dege I've tried the Star Wars Dark Forces 2 in 4k(DSR resolution set in game. Nothing forced, MSAA or resolution) and things are a bit slow. Textures loads also somewhat slow.
I own 2 GTX 680's(in SLI). Tried also single card, the same.

I suspect there is a performance issue somewhere.

PS: I might create some new threads with new games like TR 2-5, NFS 6, MAX Payne 1 & 2, Star Wars, but thinking of the effort to test them it gives me headaches. I dont know how you do it. 😀
Also what about the ideea of a core dll and certain fixes in different dlls. I know you had some plans about this.
Example
If i want to play SC : i will add the d3d8.dll and lets say SC1.dll
If i want to play Max Payne i will add Mp.dll along the core one.

This seems to be a better way of management. Code fix for MP will not affect SC.(if not common code)

Reply 163 of 1111, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nucleoprotein wrote:

@daniel_u
Run TR3 setup (either from steam or by running "tomb3.exe /setup") and uncheck 8bit textures - it seems they are not correctly supported.

@Nucleoprotein It worked, thanks. And i can confirm the crash. 😀

I wonder if there is a loss in quality if 8 bit texture is disabled.?

Reply 164 of 1111, by Nucleoprotein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
daniel_u wrote:

I think that checkbox is a choice between 16bit dithered vs 8bit indexed (palletized) textures.
Most hardware back then had hardware support for palletized textures, so this option was made for performance.
But Dege should look a this and check if something is not broken in dgVoodoo2, 8bit palatalized textures should be handled by dgVoodoo2 (ie. converted to 16/32bit textures).

Reply 165 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nucleoprotein wrote:
I think that checkbox is a choice between 16bit dithered vs 8bit indexed (palletized) textures. Most hardware back then had hard […]
Show full quote
daniel_u wrote:

I think that checkbox is a choice between 16bit dithered vs 8bit indexed (palletized) textures.
Most hardware back then had hardware support for palletized textures, so this option was made for performance.
But Dege should look a this and check if something is not broken in dgVoodoo2, 8bit palatalized textures should be handled by dgVoodoo2 (ie. converted to 16/32bit textures).

I checked it earlier and found that something is broken in TR3 executable. 😕
It creates paletted textures and fills them with zeroes for some reason. Also, the game crashes when I enter the game.

Reply 166 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
daniel_u wrote:
Thanks, the mouse problems are fixed. The CIA logo IS resolution dependent. I tested in 640x480 and then 1680x1050 in game. For […]
Show full quote
Dege wrote:
daniel_u wrote:
Hi Dege […]
Show full quote

Hi Dege

How about the SC PT problems
Cross/big plus sign that appears randomly. I didnt see it in 2.53. But i see it in wip's
The mouse move /loss of detail issue when looking at the sky in first level?

You can have a look here.dgVoodoo Splinter Cell Games
It's very detailed with pics also. 😀
Edit:
Rain (new)issue in SC1 at a certain angle(mouse move). I didnt see this in previous wips.

Thanks

Missing rain and sky glitch is fixed, but I cannot reproduce the CIA logo glitch. Isn't it dependent on the resolution maybe? I get similar glitches in The Punisher if resolution is forced to a high one.
Also, the haircross appears only when the game is not in true fullscreen (remember, with Splinter Cells there is a problem causing dropping the game back to windowed mode when playing cutscenes).

Thanks, the mouse problems are fixed. The CIA logo IS resolution dependent. I tested in 640x480 and then 1680x1050 in game. For 640x480 ,in game,through DgVooDoo it does show the issue. Nothing forced.
640x480 on original hardware it shows ok.
In SCPT i still have the cross sign flashing from time to time. 🙁 I 'm preaty sure i'm in fullscreen I Alt-enter ed twice to make sure. I will try to reinstall the game.

Also i have one more thing for you to check, very similar to the issue you have just fixed, regarding the mouse move.

Look here(sorry for the big picture..but i need to make sure it's visible)
CEU5Jso.jpg
P8JETCZ.jpg

The light losses the corona. Is this related to the issue you just fixed? Worth a look, when you have the time.

Light aura is there, but it's very small and dependent on the view angle. I cannot see differences between 2.53 and 2.54.

Reply 167 of 1111, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

Light aura is there, but it's very small and dependent on the view angle. I cannot see differences between 2.53 and 2.54.

There are no differences between 2.53 and 2.54. The game itself seems to be the issue. But i am not sure.
I remember as a kid i didnt see this dependency on the angle view. Testing with the GF4 Ti is hard because performance at high resolution is very poor. The SC1/2 seems to have some issue with resolution also.(maybe this is related also with our issue)

I was hoping you can debug the issue out and check if this is really an issue with the game or maybe a default path/requirment or something is neeed. if this really an issue with the game i can rest my case and hopes. 😁

Reply 169 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For testing purposes of Final Fantasy XI, I release a new WIP with some really minor fixes:

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP35.zip

WIP35:

This version is the same as 2.54, with some minor fixes:

- Issue of mixed type stream sources is fixed (D3D8, missing player characters in FFXI)
- A bug in the shader code validator resulted in uncreated shaders, fixed (D3D8, Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter)
- dgVoodoo CPL cosmetic: missing logo bitmap when monitor scale is >150%, fixed

I know there are some more regression bugs but unfortunately I couldn't yet fix them.
Nowadays my real work and other things take too much time to deal with dgVoodoo at full throttle.

Reply 172 of 1111, by Nucleoprotein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Dege
Can you enable listing on temp directory on server so we will know what WIP version is latest or create symlink pointing lastest version like dgVoodooWIP-latest.zip -> dgVoodooWIP35.zip

Thanks

PS: If you want nice file listing i recommend to use h5ai - https://larsjung.de/h5ai/

Reply 175 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

Question: resolution forcing is available in (forced or not) windowed mode?

Resolution forcing takes effect only when the game/app is logically running in full screen mode. I mean when the app code initializes to fullscreen and thinks it's running in fullscreen. So that, true fullscreen or fullscreen forced into windowed mode.

Reply 176 of 1111, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
lowenz wrote:

Question: resolution forcing is available in (forced or not) windowed mode?

Resolution forcing takes effect only when the game/app is logically running in full screen mode. I mean when the app code initializes to fullscreen and thinks it's running in fullscreen. So that, true fullscreen or fullscreen forced into windowed mode.

Thanks!

Reply 177 of 1111, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Dege
WIP 35,it seems that if you switch to thermal vision in SC1 you get artifacts for a fraction of a second. Due to this i cant post any pics.
You can test right at the begining of the CIA level . Switch to thermal and just run around in all directions. 😀 You'll see it eventualy.

I did not test with other versions.

Many thanks and once again thanks for this great piece of software.

PS:
I've played SC Double Agent on the original xbox(the very first , not 360 version) and it seems the games also suffers from the same bug in SCPT with color of the light. 😀 So ugly yet nice gameplay and story.

Reply 178 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some things cumulated so I release a new WIP.
Plz don't expect too much, I had very little time in the recent months for dgVoodoo.

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP36.zip

WIP36:

- Text based (INI) config file support with some new options (and more to come later) for experts (and modders?)
- Experimental (and now minimal) optional logging of Info/Warning/Error entries in the debug and
spec release builds, in order to trace issues
- D3D8 cursor handling and viewport depth scaling bugs fixed (WildFire)
- D3D8 software vertex processing bug, fixed (Mafia - multipass rendering)
- Bugs causing crash and black screen are fixed (Empires Dawn of The Modern World)
- D3D parameter validation incompatibility, fixed (Praetorians)
- D3D state block incompatibility, fixed (Soldiers of Anarchy)
- D3D non-W-friendly matrix in ComputeSphereVisibility calcs, fixed (Pac-Man Adventures in Time)
- D3D FVF validation incompatibility, fixed (Earthworm Jim 3D)
- D3D8 GetFrontBufferData bug, fixed (Rome Total War) (movies only, ingame still has the old issues)
- Old D3D-lighting incompatibility, fixed (when revising code and docs)
- Introducing built-in deframing for forced resolutions
- Introducing the ability of integer scaling (pixel multiplying) of output images (coming from wrapped API's)
into dgVoodoo's scaling process
- ATI and GeForce profiles are modified to force W-pixelfog (compatibility with old drivers).
- A new scaling mode with idiot name (Centered, keep Aspect Ratio) is added. Same as 'Centered' but scaling is
done by the wrapper

About config files: dgVoodoo.conf is still the one containing the configuration.
Now it can have two formats: binary and INI. Wrapper dlls and the CPL can read both.
CPL writes only binary, you can convert an INI to binary. Be careful, the CPL won't backup your
existing configuration file but simply overwrites that.
INI files contains some extra options that aren't available through the CPL. If an option isn't
specified in the INI file then the default value is used for the given property.
The attached config file contains the default configuration.
The last supported binary version of config files is 2.40, earlier ones can't be read (I hope no
one cares about that).