Rank Member
Rank

CPU: AMD K6-III 400+
RAM: 128 MB
HDD: CF 1GB
GPU: Voodoo 3 3000
AUD: AWE64 Value ISA
Roland UM-ONE MK2 USB

I've tried every patch. I just can't get voice to work. The MT-32 works on and off. Seems only works 100% without any patches. I've lowered my CPU as much as I can and still no voice. I'm at a loss. The patches I used were FATECD.EXE, INDYIMS.EXE, INDY4FIX.EXE, and ATLANTIS.EXE. Nothing works. I've tried other games like Doom and everything works perfectly.

Reply 1 of 12, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What utilities did you use to slow down your PC?
From what it sounds like, it's possible that you still have a speed issue.
Also, is your SET BLASTER environment variable properly defined in your Autoexec.bat file?
How much conventional memory do you have available after booting up?

Reply 2 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That system is quite capable, so you could simply install Win98SE and let the game run in ScummVM 1.8.1 (last version to work with 9x).

Reply 3 of 12, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have used the SETMUL method and turning off caches in BIOS. And please no mention of ScummVM. I have ScummVM working perfectly with MT-32 Emulation on newer PCs. But this is not that. I want this game running on traditional hardware. I'm replicating the experience I had from the 90s. So please, no mention of ScummVM. I love ScummVM, but I'm not doing that right now. Here is my AUTOEXEC.BAT

SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D0 H0 P300 E620 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET CTCM=C:\SB16
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S /W=C:\WINDOWS
C:\SB16\AWEUTIL /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q
C:\SB16\CTCU.EXE /S /W=C:\WINDOWS
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
SET PATH=C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
GoTo %config%
:EMC
:XMC
:CMC
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL
:EM
:XM
:CM
LH C:\DRIVERS\CTMOUSE.EXE /R2
:E
😦
:C

Reply 4 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rodimus80 wrote:

I want this game running on traditional hardware.

While I understand that, an AMD K6-III 400+ is completely off for Fate of Atlantis. That game was released when not even the original Pentium existed. Nor the AWE64 for that matter...

Reply 5 of 12, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm just wondering your blaster settings and why you are using dma 0 there. I always thought dma 1 was much better for older dos games when it comes to compatibility.

Reply 6 of 12, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:
rodimus80 wrote:

I want this game running on traditional hardware.

While I understand that, an AMD K6-III 400+ is completely off for Fate of Atlantis. That game was released when not even the original Pentium existed. Nor the AWE64 for that matter...

Dude, just stop. PLEASE

Reply 7 of 12, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote:

I'm just wondering your blaster settings and why you are using dma 0 there. I always thought dma 1 was much better for older dos games when it comes to compatibility.

DMA 0 was the last combination I tried. Used the previous ones just trying to gain some initial success with Atlantis. I was able to get the game up and running with MT-32 but the game froze about 5mins in. Tried numerous other times, everyone ended in a freeze.

Reply 8 of 12, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any chance you could force the AWE64 to be on the port220 IRQ7 and DMA1 ?
Also, what if you chose soundblaster for music (adlib) AND sound effects? Does this make a difference?

I too have an AMD K6-III at 400MHz and never had an issue, but I use an AWE32.
Seeing as how the AWE32 and AWE64 are so similar, it should work for you too.

I also never needed to use a cpu slow-down program beyond disabling internal caches.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 9 of 12, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems I have gotten it working. All I did was go into CTCU.EXE, choose CONFIGURATION0, then ran DIAGNOSE.EXE. That found everything and updated the Startup files. Now both the MT-32 music and Voice is working. Very strange. I started off on CONFIG0 and it didn't work last night. Now it does. I also did not slow down my CPU at all.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Played a good ten minutes and it ended up freezing and then rebooting my machine. I have a SB16 (CT2860), Yamaha Audician 32 Plus, and a AWE64 Gold (CT4390) coming in the mail this weekend. I'm going to throw the SB16 (CT2860) into my 486 and I hope that will give me everything I want. Fate of Atlantis is pretty much the oldest DOS game I want to play.

Reply 10 of 12, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I totally reworked this whole system. Phil's Computer Lab's 4-1 Time Machine may work for some, but it just wasn't cutting it for me. I have enough machines to just focus on small eras. So that's exactly what I did. I swapped out the K6-III 400+ with a Pentium 100MHz and lowered the RAM from 128MB to 64MB. I took out the AWE64G and replaced it with 2 cards. A Sound Blaster Pro 2 and a Sound Blaster 16. The SBP2 is for Voice and FM, and the SB16 is for MPU-401 only. Fate of Atlantis works wonderfully now with both FM and MIDI. I also used CDBeQuiet! to change my CD-ROM to 4x. Things are just working now. This machine will play perfectly the earliest game I want, which is Atlantis, to the latest game I want, Dark Forces. I'm still playing some games to make sure there is no freezing or anything funny happening, but my hopes are high!

EDIT: WOW. JUST !@!@!@@! WOW. 5mins after posting this reply, Fate of Atlantis freezes and reboots. FFS. I cannot win with this game. At this point I'm going to start swapping CD-ROM drives. That is the only thing that has remained constant other then the Motherboard.

Reply 11 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IJFA has been reliable with both a K6-2 CPU and cache manipulation as well as a PMMX with TR12 manipulation. This sounds like a motherboard glitch.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 12 of 12, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I can go ahead and file this under SOLVED. I was using ctmouse v1.9 Switched to v2.0a4 per Post 440785 and the game works great now. Which means I have to rethink all my systems now. 🤣 I'm just glad it's solved.

JAN 2019 UPDATE: I eventually solved this problem which was a combination of the mouse driver and disabling some cache. Had to slow down the machine for Atlantis to work correctly with MIDI as well.