VOGONS

First post, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, just checking in to see if anyone has had any experience with this. I'm wondering if I add my GTX 1080ti to the last version of XP drivers that Nvidia released if I will be able to get it to run on XP. I know it won't be optimal but do you think it would run decently enough with the supported APIs for XP? Has anyone already done this or similar with another card? The lastest XP drivers supported up to the 960 so its not that far off from the 1080 time wise.

I'd like to do this because I dual boot with Win 10 on this machine and it would be nice to use the 1080ti when in windows 10 mode.

Just wanted to get experience/opinions before I waste time attempting to do this on already working builds.

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can modify the inf for the latest XP drivers so that the 980ti works but AFAIK no one has gotten a 1080 to work. Rumour is that supposedly the earlier 10 model cards can be gotten to work but I doubt it and not much point if you want performance. If you want a newer card with a lower profile then may make sense.

Still using my 1080ti in my main desktop with my 980ti in my Q9650. Waiting for the release of the new graphics cards next year to see if worth buying, if so then I'll do some testing with the 1080ti with the Q9650.

With the 980ti on my Q9650 in Windows 10 Gears 5 runs at 30fps at 1920x1080, with D3D9 games in XP it's overkill but it works.

If I were you I'd put a XP compatible video card in there if you have enough room.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 5, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I currently am using a 780ti which is fine. I just wanted the better performance when running the Windows 10 boot. If I were to put both cards in there do you have a method for it automatically determining which card to use per OS? Hardware or otherwise? I don't want to use a switchbox if I can avoid it, I've already got mad switchboxes.

Reply 3 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just change it in the BIOS and run another cable to my KVM then have another keyboard and mouse plugged into the computer. Works for me when switching between
GPU 1: Zotac Geforce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP! Extreme GDDR5 ZT-90507-10B PCIe (Windows 2000 w/ extended kernel and above)
GPU 2: Quadro FX 1300 128MB PCI (Windows 2000 Vanilla and below)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 5, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want something more, buy Titan (Black or X), Black will work no problem (since it's 780 Ti with 6GB VRAM), and Titan X needs .inf addition to work.

Unless you re-write Windows XP driver side, to support Windows Vista/7 ones, Pascal on XP is just a dream.

157143230295.png