VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I just installed Strahd's Possession on an Intel socket 7 board with a Pentium 166 MMX, 64MB RAM, and an AWE32 (CT2760 and has a Wave Blaster attached) alongside an MPU-IPC-T with a Sound Canvas and an MT-32 connected to it. The game is installed in c:\rloft on a CF card in an IDE adapter.

Install detects and sets up a Sound Blaster 16 and General MIDI. However, when I start the game, the intro graphics appear and when the sound is set to start playing, the game crashes to DOS. I cannot read if there is an error because you can still see parts of the game graphics, just distorted and the prompt/letters/numbers/characters are all very large and distorted. The system isn't locked up, just everything is large and garbled. If I set the game to have no sound, the intro plays, and I game create characters and play the game.

Autoexec is:

SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H7 P300 E620 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\AWEUTIL /S
C:\SB16\SB16SET /P /Q

Here is what I have tried:

1. Reduced the RAM to a single 16MB module.
2. Removed the cache.
3. Moved the AWE32 to a different slot and also tried removing the AWE32 and replaced it with some other form of Sound Blaster 16.
4. Removed everything but the video card, the AWE32, and the MPU-IPC-T.
5. Screwed around in the BIOS reserving IRQs for ISA and things like that.

The next things I am going to try are changing the high DMA to 5 because I seem to recall that it usually is set to 5, and lower the EMS from 16mb to 8mb. Other than that, I have no idea what else to try. The mobo has integrated Vibra16, but that is disabled in the BIOS. I have attached a pic of what my mobo looks like, as I do not know the name of it other than it is an Intel from a Gateway PC.

As usual, no matter what retro system I build, there is invariably a weird, uncommon or rare issue with a game or games or a part. As always, any help and advice will be greatly appreciated!

Scythifuge

Attachments

• intel.png
    Filename
    intel.png
    File size
    590.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 4, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Changing the high DMA to 5 did nothing. I haven't messed with EMS yet. However, I did hit escape when the intro began, and I can create characters. So the crash seems to be related to the intro itself; perhaps the digitized voices. This probably means that other cutscenes will crash, making the game unplayable until I can figure out what is going on. I will be rebuilding a K6-2+ modded to be a k6-III+, hopefully on Saturday (if everything arrives on time, ) and that is to be my main retro PC since being a K6+, I have more control over the speed. However, I still want to iron out the bugs in these other systems since I will still own them, and it is inevitable that the upcoming K6 PC will have some weird and stupid problem (I am cursed, whether people believe that or not - my post history is full of weird and obscure issues with multiple systems - issues most people have never heard of or experienced.)

Reply 2 of 4, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay so I copied the entire CD to c:\rloft and edited a dat file to point to c:\rloft instead of e:\rloft, and the intro played, so it is a cdrom issue. I made a thread over at hardware, earlier today, about my NEC-CDR-273 not working correctly in MS-DOS but that it worked fine in Windows 98, and that swapping it out for a DVD-ROM allowed me to access discs and install them. So it appears that either the secondary IDE port is having issues, or this motherboard is very fickle about mscdex and the cd-rom driver. This sucks, because I paid a dude $59 bucks for the system to get the board and the CPU. HE would be cool about it, but he doesn't have another one. I may try to get my hands on an ISA card with IDE ports on it. I have a couple of PCI cards, but I think that they may be bugged from failed firmware upgrade attempts. I will also try to use an mscdex alternative and try different cd-rrom drivers. I honestly don;t think that the port is bad because Windows 98 has no problem accessing and using the drives.

Reply 3 of 4, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wing Commander III installs but fails to run. I can read the error message with this one and it says it is probably due to a bd CD-ROM read. Now I am going to try SHSUCDX and drivers other than vide.

Reply 4 of 4, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using qcdrom.sys allowed Wing Commander III to work, but nothing is working for Strahd's Possession. I find this issue to be strange given that this is an Intel board from a Gateway 2000 system and I have yet to uncover any posts from anyone from over the years where anyone had cd-rom problems with this board.