Rank Member
Rank

CPU: AMD K6-III 400+
RAM: 128 MB
HDD: CF 1GB
GPU: Voodoo 3 3000
AUD: AWE64 Value ISA
Roland UM-ONE MK2 USB

I've tried every patch. I just can't get voice to work. The MT-32 works on and off. Seems only works 100% without any patches. I've lowered my CPU as much as I can and still no voice. I'm at a loss. The patches I used were FATECD.EXE, INDYIMS.EXE, INDY4FIX.EXE, and ATLANTIS.EXE. Nothing works. I've tried other games like Doom and everything works perfectly.

Reply 1 of 12, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What utilities did you use to slow down your PC?
From what it sounds like, it's possible that you still have a speed issue.
Also, is your SET BLASTER environment variable properly defined in your Autoexec.bat file?
How much conventional memory do you have available after booting up?

Reply 3 of 12, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have used the SETMUL method and turning off caches in BIOS. And please no mention of ScummVM. I have ScummVM working perfectly with MT-32 Emulation on newer PCs. But this is not that. I want this game running on traditional hardware. I'm replicating the experience I had from the 90s. So please, no mention of ScummVM. I love ScummVM, but I'm not doing that right now. Here is my AUTOEXEC.BAT

SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D0 H0 P300 E620 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET CTCM=C:\SB16
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S /W=C:\WINDOWS
C:\SB16\AWEUTIL /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q
C:\SB16\CTCU.EXE /S /W=C:\WINDOWS
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
SET PATH=C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
GoTo %config%
:EMC
:XMC
:CMC
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL
:EM
:XM
:CM
LH C:\DRIVERS\CTMOUSE.EXE /R2
:E
😦
:C

Reply 4 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rodimus80 wrote:

I want this game running on traditional hardware.

While I understand that, an AMD K6-III 400+ is completely off for Fate of Atlantis. That game was released when not even the original Pentium existed. Nor the AWE64 for that matter...

Reply 5 of 12, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm just wondering your blaster settings and why you are using dma 0 there. I always thought dma 1 was much better for older dos games when it comes to compatibility.

Reply 6 of 12, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:
rodimus80 wrote:

I want this game running on traditional hardware.

While I understand that, an AMD K6-III 400+ is completely off for Fate of Atlantis. That game was released when not even the original Pentium existed. Nor the AWE64 for that matter...

Dude, just stop. PLEASE

Reply 7 of 12, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote:

I'm just wondering your blaster settings and why you are using dma 0 there. I always thought dma 1 was much better for older dos games when it comes to compatibility.

DMA 0 was the last combination I tried. Used the previous ones just trying to gain some initial success with Atlantis. I was able to get the game up and running with MT-32 but the game froze about 5mins in. Tried numerous other times, everyone ended in a freeze.

Reply 8 of 12, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any chance you could force the AWE64 to be on the port220 IRQ7 and DMA1 ?
Also, what if you chose soundblaster for music (adlib) AND sound effects? Does this make a difference?

I too have an AMD K6-III at 400MHz and never had an issue, but I use an AWE32.
Seeing as how the AWE32 and AWE64 are so similar, it should work for you too.

I also never needed to use a cpu slow-down program beyond disabling internal caches.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 9 of 12, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems I have gotten it working. All I did was go into CTCU.EXE, choose CONFIGURATION0, then ran DIAGNOSE.EXE. That found everything and updated the Startup files. Now both the MT-32 music and Voice is working. Very strange. I started off on CONFIG0 and it didn't work last night. Now it does. I also did not slow down my CPU at all.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Played a good ten minutes and it ended up freezing and then rebooting my machine. I have a SB16 (CT2860), Yamaha Audician 32 Plus, and a AWE64 Gold (CT4390) coming in the mail this weekend. I'm going to throw the SB16 (CT2860) into my 486 and I hope that will give me everything I want. Fate of Atlantis is pretty much the oldest DOS game I want to play.

Reply 10 of 12, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I totally reworked this whole system. Phil's Computer Lab's 4-1 Time Machine may work for some, but it just wasn't cutting it for me. I have enough machines to just focus on small eras. So that's exactly what I did. I swapped out the K6-III 400+ with a Pentium 100MHz and lowered the RAM from 128MB to 64MB. I took out the AWE64G and replaced it with 2 cards. A Sound Blaster Pro 2 and a Sound Blaster 16. The SBP2 is for Voice and FM, and the SB16 is for MPU-401 only. Fate of Atlantis works wonderfully now with both FM and MIDI. I also used CDBeQuiet! to change my CD-ROM to 4x. Things are just working now. This machine will play perfectly the earliest game I want, which is Atlantis, to the latest game I want, Dark Forces. I'm still playing some games to make sure there is no freezing or anything funny happening, but my hopes are high!

EDIT: WOW. JUST !@!@!@@! WOW. 5mins after posting this reply, Fate of Atlantis freezes and reboots. FFS. I cannot win with this game. At this point I'm going to start swapping CD-ROM drives. That is the only thing that has remained constant other then the Motherboard.

Reply 11 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IJFA has been reliable with both a K6-2 CPU and cache manipulation as well as a PMMX with TR12 manipulation. This sounds like a motherboard glitch.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 12 of 12, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I can go ahead and file this under SOLVED. I was using ctmouse v1.9 Switched to v2.0a4 per Post 440785 and the game works great now. Which means I have to rethink all my systems now. 🤣 I'm just glad it's solved.

JAN 2019 UPDATE: I eventually solved this problem which was a combination of the mouse driver and disabling some cache. Had to slow down the machine for Atlantis to work correctly with MIDI as well.