VOGONS

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As much as I love the id-Style 2.5D games, there's one big problem I have with them: whenever your mouse moves forwards, you move forwards. I've never understood this, as it cannot be disabled via the game itself. You have to find some sort of external means to disable this. In DOOM, Heretic, and a few other games, using an application called NOVERT will disable the vertical mouse movement, allowing you to be able to turn without being thrown forwards and backwards.

How was this even a good idea, even when the games were made? In order to keep moving forwards, you'd need to keep pushing your mouse forwards until it hit the end of the mousepad, pick it up, and then begin moving forwards again. It's not useful, even on its own. It's just a very irritating way of making turning around with a mouse harder. In some games, like DOOM, the movement is small enough to sort of get used to, but in Wolfenstein 3D, you can turn to the left or roght, and if your mouse moves forward a centimeter, you will go a few feet in that direction. The problem is that, when using NOVERT, Wolfenstein will detect a constant forwards movement for some reason, causing the main menu to rapidly switch between the options upwards.

How do I disable this forward mouse movement in Wolfenstein 3D? Should I just grab a non-important mouse and rip the vertical roller out of it? I mean, at this rate, I'm tempted to. Also, could somebody please explain why the developers did this? It honestly makes no sense to me.

Where am I?

Reply 1 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think any of these 2.5D games were ever meant to be played with a mouse. Everyone I know (myself included) play these using the keyboard.

It may work well with a trackball, however.

Reply 2 of 7, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

I don't think any of these 2.5D games were ever meant to be played with a mouse. Everyone I know (myself included) play these using the keyboard.

^^^^ What he said.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 7, by Blzut3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

While I don't doubt the second sentence, the first sentence is easy to disprove just by watching the demos in Doom. Even Wolf3D's demos look like they're recorded with a mouse.

They must have thought that scheme made sense since it continues even into Quake where turning on modern mouse look is possible but the default is to move forward and backwards. Perhaps even stranger there since the demos use mouse look all the time.

Reply 4 of 7, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try playing wolfenstien on machines at the time it was release. Mice did not enhance the experiiance I con asure you. Put two players on machines exactly the same the guy on thevkeyboard will piss all over the guy with the mouse

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 7 of 7, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not a big deal if you moves slightly in vertical axis in such trapless game - without pitfalls, crushers and etc. Also you can't record your moves in demo, at least in original DOS game. So no catwalk and speed demos and nobody cares. However you may use DOS mouse driver with ability to set sensitivity for X/Y axis independetly. ctmouse do it well.