VOGONS

First post, by ketma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm trying to get this game running on my Voodoo3 3000 and it fails to detect the card.

The game installs ok but on launching the game it proceeds to the setup window and when I choose to detect the renderer the screen shows the 3dfx logo animation and then returns to the desktop with the game launcher 'quit'. If I repeat this the same thing happens but no 3dfx card is detected, the drop down menu just says 'No 3d acceleration'.

I'm running the game with patch 1.2, latest voodoo3 drivers.

All other games, Unreal, Half- Life, Quake etc work fine with the voodoo card.

Can anyone help?

Machine: P3 1GHz, Voodoo3 3000 (AGP), 384Mb RAM.

Reply 1 of 4, by ketma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Managed to fix this myself:

Deselected D3D and hi-res, 32-bit and oddly 3dfx glide was then detected but only at 640x480.

Went into the registry and amended the video card string to 1024x768 and the game is now running ok.

Odd why it failed to detect the card correctly in the first place but at least this resolved the issue.

Reply 3 of 4, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ketma wrote on 2022-02-02, 22:05:

...Went into the registry and amended the video card string to 1024x768 and the game is now running ok....

Can you point me in the direction of the video card string in the registry? I may be able to use your solution to put an end to my own FreeSpace 2 woes...

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 4 of 4, by ketma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leonardo wrote on 2022-02-09, 11:30:
ketma wrote on 2022-02-02, 22:05:

...Went into the registry and amended the video card string to 1024x768 and the game is now running ok....

Can you point me in the direction of the video card string in the registry? I may be able to use your solution to put an end to my own FreeSpace 2 woes...

Of course, in the registry look in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Volition\FreeSpace2

In the Videocard string enter "3DFX Glide (1024x768)"

Then when you go back in the setup it should be listed for the renderer.