VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

edit: This is one of those annoying threads that doesn't lead to a clear solution - the problem with Glide detection disappeared after I reinstalled Windows and I never found out what the root cause was.

One potential solution was posted over here.

Original post:

Two problems really...

#1: If 'Detect Glide' is checked during setup the game will display the 3Dfx logo and then crash like so:

FS2_pgfault_unknown_module.png
Filename
FS2_pgfault_unknown_module.png
File size
2.92 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

#2: My Gravis BlackHawk Digital joystick seems to be completely randomly used in the game. Every now and then it works, every now and then it doesn't. All I can really do is keep rebooting the game in hopes that this time I have flight control.

The joystick problem I've had before, not being able to use 3Dfx high-res mode is a new problem for this system.
Any takers?

Last edited by leonardo on 2022-03-14, 00:00. Edited 4 times in total.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 1 of 9, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's the first time I see a windows GPF that fails to tell you what the faulting module is....

It always crashes like that when you try to use Glide or just when the setup tries to detect if you have a voodoo card?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 9, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The setup crashes when it tries to detect if I have 3Dfx hardware. If I try to run the game without detecting the hardware it says a 3D accelerator is necessary and won't start. I suppose if I was just able to tell the game to use Glide (thru a registry change or editing a configuration file) it would run just fine. None of my other games have this issue (Unreal and Mask of Eternity use Glide, for example).

Reply 3 of 9, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first problem is like DracoNihil said, the game tries to look for 3dfx compatibility, although I don't think it specifically looks for the hardware but just the glide .dll's.
So my question is: do you have either a voodoo card with drivers installed or have you tried it with a glide wrapper (no voodoo card required)?

The second problem, my guess it would be a faulty joystick or bad connection, check carefully in the gamecontrollers panel if it is detected and check calibration, swing the cord a bit to see if that is still ok.

Also try installing the latest patch if you haven't already done so.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/files/898121/fs2v1_20.zip

Reply 4 of 9, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an actual Voodoo3 in the system.

Full details can be found at My oldest rig, Hyundai HD-P5233M

It's a strange bug because no other games have any trouble using the card. Also, the game worked on this very system before the last reinstallation. 😦

The second problem is equally disturbing since the controller always, _always_ shows up connected under Game Controllers and can even be calibrated in the FreeSpace2 setup. Then when the game is entered it might not work at all.

I appreciate your input.

Reply 6 of 9, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:

If you have a more modern pc you should be running freespace 2 open

Yeah... if I did. Problem is all my newer computers are either Macs or run Linux. I tried Windows XP on one of my rigs and it was horrible.

Found out de-checking Glide in the setup fixes the problem. Only... I have to run the game in Direct3D mode instead of Glide. Eww...

Reply 8 of 9, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Yeah... if I did. Problem is all my newer computers are either Macs or run Linux. I tried Windows XP on one of my rigs and it was horrible.

Found out de-checking Glide in the setup fixes the problem. Only... I have to run the game in Direct3D mode instead of Glide. Eww..."

If you have linux on the other computer just use wine, i just installed it using playonlinux and it runs great with nglide

Reply 9 of 9, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

who mentioned win xp ?
if you ran fs2 open under win 98 without the media vps (aka without the fancy graphics)
it would look the same as retail fs2 plus you could run in opengl
try this
http://swc.fs2downloads.com/builds/WIN/fs2_op … _7_0_NO-SSE.zip

or this :

Instructions for manually installing FreeSpace Open and mods (Mac OS X)
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=79546.0

Instructions for manually installing FreeSpace Open and mods (Linux)
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=79545.0

pps: 1.2 retail patch have you installed it
what glide drivers are you running ?

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness