VOGONS

First post, by CoTeCiO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone!

So, I'll go straight to the point. I tried searching around for anybody else having this issue but nothing so far. I've been trying to play Tomb Raider II and III on my old Windows 98 rig running a RIVA TNT2 card, but for some reason the game doesn't load textures correctly or something, so it looks mostly black. If I disable the Z buffer option in TR3, then whenever I go in-game the textures look mostly fine, except that some triangles start blinking white or switching textures for a single frame, and that doesn't fix the issues with the main menu looking all black or the loading screens and menu background while in-game looking like just a texture dump. Any help?

I have both a RIVA TNT and a RIVA TNT2 model 64 on an AGP 2X slot, I am running the ForceWare 71.84 driver on Windows 98 SE. Both cards exhibit the same issues. I tried changing the settings, using different resolutions and color depths, tweaking the little stuff I can tweak on the Windows settings from the driver. Nothing helps. The only thing I didn't try was using different driver versions. I'd assume the RIVA TNT, being contemporary to the games, would work correctly.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoTeCiO wrote on 2022-03-15, 03:53:

I am running the ForceWare 71.84 driver on Windows 98 SE.

This is your problem. Try an older driver like 7.76 and everything will work correctly (and it will also be faster, especially if you have a slower platform).
Those issues you're seeing with the 71.84 driver are the reason why cards like the GeForce 6xxx series are not a viable option for Win98.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 2 of 4, by CoTeCiO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That did it! Thanks! I tried some other stuff that was a bit wonky before and now the card is working more stable than it has ever been! So, did nVidia just stop caring about Win9X with their newer driver updates? The difference in reliability and stability is night and day! And here I was wondering if I had faulty cards...

Reply 3 of 4, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoTeCiO wrote on 2022-03-15, 07:09:

That did it! Thanks! I tried some other stuff that was a bit wonky before and now the card is working more stable than it has ever been! So, did nVidia just stop caring about Win9X with their newer driver updates? The difference in reliability and stability is night and day! And here I was wondering if I had faulty cards...

You're welcome.
Yeah, nVIDIA pretty much stopped caring about Win98 by ~ 2004 (which may be understandable, really), and all subsequent drivers broke compatibility with many games.
ATI, on the other hand, released a final Win98 driver in 2006 (as a last hurrah), which works extremely well with most games, and it also supports newer GPUs like the Radeon X8xx series (GeForce 68xx competitor).

Some general driver recommendations, depending on the platform and nVIDIA GPU:
- for AMD K6-2 / Pentium 2 / slow Pentium 3 (Riva TNT, Riva TNT2, GeForce 2 MX/GTS/PRO/Ti/Ultra): driver 7.76
- for fast Pentium 3 / Athlon / Athlon XP (GeForce 3/3 Ti200/3 Ti500, GeForce 4 Ti4200/Ti4400/Ti4600): driver 30.82
- for Athlon 64 / Pentium 4 / Core 2 Duo (GeForce FX 5900/5900 Ultra): driver 45.23

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 4 of 4, by CoTeCiO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's what I figured, once Windows XP took off, there was little reason to keep updating Windows 9X drivers.

That reference list is really useful!! Thank you so much for it!! I'm actually running an 800 MHz Pentium III processor, mainly because I found it for really cheap and the older 333 MHz Celeron I had just crapped out on me, so yeah, it's a bit of an odd combination. I figure I should get something like a slower Pentium II to make it match better with the rest of the hardware I have.