VOGONS

First post, by mtest001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,
I have an annoying problem on my P200@225 build running on Windows 98 SE: GlQuake works beautifully at 640x480 or even 800x600 in window mode, but I can get it to work in full-screen.

When trying to launch it full-screen the loading process is extremely slow, there are various screen colours and artefacts showing and then right before showing the game demo it crashes silently and drops me back to Windows with no error message.

My GPU is a 3dfx Banshee and I am running the Evolution drivers. I have Quake 1.06, GlQuake 0.97, using Glide and not miniGL (I'm no expert, but there is no opengl32.dll in the Quake folder).

I tried various options such as disabling triple buffering etc but nothing works.

The most frustrating part is that in window mode the game is super fluid.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by mtest001 on 2023-11-23, 12:09. Edited 1 time in total.

/me love my P200MMX@225 Mhz + Voodoo Banshee + SB Live! + Sound Canvas SC-55ST = unlimited joy !

Reply 1 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mtest001 wrote on 2023-11-22, 16:04:

using Glide and not miniGL (I'm no expert, but there is no opengl32.dll in the Quake folder).

You're using OpenGL by that point, GLQuake will attempt to use the system ICD (which would be 3dfxogl.dll on Banshee) if there is no minigl provided. and since it's a third-party driver, that ICD's probably some compiled 'mesafx' thing that might have problems

There's also sometimes problems with GLQuake defaulting to 640x400 fullscreen which can cause problems with some drivers so you should specify a res at least. Also make sure it's 16-bit color

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 3, by mtest001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2023-11-23, 01:21:

You're using OpenGL by that point, GLQuake will attempt to use the system ICD (which would be 3dfxogl.dll on Banshee)

Thank you for the feedback. So if I understood you well I should try different versions of the 3dfxogl.dll and see how it goes?

I am still not sure to understand what is the difference between running the game windowed and full-screen. Are there different 3D API involved?

Also I'll try out the Darkplaces engine, maybe that will solve my problem.

/me love my P200MMX@225 Mhz + Voodoo Banshee + SB Live! + Sound Canvas SC-55ST = unlimited joy !

Reply 3 of 3, by mtest001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FInally managed to find a solution thanks to a redditor... After forcing the color depth with "-bpp 32" AND enabling the miniGL driver the game now works fine @ 1024x768.

I am super happy.

Btw on my setup I am getting around 30 fps @1024x768 and 40 fps @800x600.

Attachments