VOGONS

Reply 260 of 406, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zyzzle wrote on 2023-02-22, 05:56:
I could not get DSS v 3.0 (CWSDPMI protected mode) - great Russian MODule and .pcm and .wav player) to work with SBEMU. Also: Qu […]
Show full quote

I could not get DSS v 3.0 (CWSDPMI protected mode) - great Russian MODule and .pcm and .wav player) to work with SBEMU. Also:
Quickview v. 2.61 (DOS32A) = works, but author has provided his own PCI driver which works natively in 44.1 16-bit / stereo on Intel HDA and other pci chipsets
Mplayer DOS compile (CWSDPMI protected mode) by Khusraw works with SBEMU, however, a later (2017-18?) compile has native PCI drivers built in (I think libau as well, but could have been Allegro).

Finally, importantly, some (real mode and protected mode) games produce sound, but the audio is greatly sped up. This could be a bug with SBEMU, as I noticed also that MikMod v 3.2.9 and the DOS compile of Open MPT 0.6.8 (both CWSDPMI):
https://lib.openmpt.org/libopenmpt/download/
produce also the exact same sped-up audio on modules.

Adjusting samplerate to 22050, stereo or mono, bitdepth 8 bit or 16-bit makes no difference. Both MikMod and OpenMPT still produce the sped -up (approx 2x faster than normal) audio using SBEMU.

I think those need more investigations, like incompatible games. Not sure I can fix it but I'll try.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 - YMF744, Savage IX
Toshiba Satellite 2805-S501 - YMF754, GeForce 2Go
IBM Thinkpad A21p - CS4624, Mobility Radeon 128
main: Intel NUC11PHKi7C Phantom Canyon: i7-1165G7 RTX2060 64G 2T760PSDD

Reply 261 of 406, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazii wrote on 2023-02-22, 08:48:
- New Options added: /T, set the sound blaster type, same meaning as the values in BLASTER variable. default value is /T5 (SB Pr […]
Show full quote

- New Options added:
/T, set the sound blaster type, same meaning as the values in BLASTER variable. default value is /T5 (SB Pro), you may change it to 3 or 1 if encountering some emulation problems. /T6 (SB16) will add extra T6 H5 to BLASTER env var.
/O[1/2], for Intel HDA only: 0 - output to headphone, 1 - output to speaker. default value is 1.
/VOL[0-9] set volume. default value: 7.

- Added 16 bit DMA, tested 16bit sound in Quake & Duke3D.
- Fix sample rate conversion problem.
SBEMU.zip

Note on some other compatibility issues: you may want to disable PM games if real mode games don't work, use /PM0. use /RM0 to disable real mode support. I think it's still a long way to go. not a easy one.

Tried quicky the latest release. The sound now comes from the speakers 👍
But strangely the arrow keys stopped working in Prince of Persia and Blood. 🤔 All other keys work. With the previous version, where the sound came from the haedphones jack, the arrow keys work.
Doom, Quake, Heretic - all works normally.

EDIT: And yes, running the usbddos.exe /hid had no effect, unfortunately. The mouse didn't show up. Or am I doing something wrong?

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 262 of 406, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2023-02-22, 10:49:

But strangely the arrow keys stopped working in Prince of Persia and Blood. 🤔 All other keys work. With the previous version, where the sound came from the haedphones jack, the arrow keys work.
Doom, Quake, Heretic - all works normally.

EDIT: And yes, running the usbddos.exe /hid had no effect, unfortunately. The mouse didn't show up. Or am I doing something wrong?

weird. I ran prince of persia 1 & 2 the arrow keys are working. 🤣
you need ctmouse after running usbddos.exe.

Reply 263 of 406, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazii wrote on 2023-02-20, 15:25:
I apply the doom fix to all IRQs, test whether it's fixed if you can. SBEMU.zip […]
Show full quote
zyzzle wrote on 2023-02-20, 11:24:

Happens on IRQ 7 and 10/11 for me, but if you find that your Doom hack to solve this, all the better...

I apply the doom fix to all IRQs, test whether it's fixed if you can.
SBEMU.zip

I also added H for the BLASTER environment, according the the SB programming manual, it support 16 bit transfer via 8 bit DMA, just make the H value equals to D, like SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H1. it's done by SBEMU by default, tested with Duke3D, it works. but not sure if other games recognize it.

I think the only possible reason that makes Price of Persia's arrow keys not working are from this build, that I use the doom hack for all IRQs including keyboards. There's no other critical changes after that.
Can you test this one to see the arrow keys are working or not? @Bondi

Reply 264 of 406, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazii wrote on 2023-02-22, 13:55:
crazii wrote on 2023-02-20, 15:25:
I apply the doom fix to all IRQs, test whether it's fixed if you can. SBEMU.zip […]
Show full quote
zyzzle wrote on 2023-02-20, 11:24:

Happens on IRQ 7 and 10/11 for me, but if you find that your Doom hack to solve this, all the better...

I apply the doom fix to all IRQs, test whether it's fixed if you can.
SBEMU.zip

I also added H for the BLASTER environment, according the the SB programming manual, it support 16 bit transfer via 8 bit DMA, just make the H value equals to D, like SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H1. it's done by SBEMU by default, tested with Duke3D, it works. but not sure if other games recognize it.

I think the only possible reason that makes Price of Persia's arrow keys not working are from this build, that I use the doom hack for all IRQs including keyboards. There's no other critical changes after that.
Can you test this one to see the arrow keys are working or not? @Bondi

Yes, keys are not working with this one too. If I press the arroe key 5-6 times in a aw it may react sometimes. But looks like this issue is specific to TP x230.
All keys work fine on x60s with all of the releases.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 265 of 406, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
- New Options added: /T, set the sound blaster type, same meaning as the values in BLASTER variable. default value is /T5 (SB Pr […]
Show full quote

- New Options added:
/T, set the sound blaster type, same meaning as the values in BLASTER variable. default value is /T5 (SB Pro), you may change it to 3 or 1 if encountering some emulation problems. /T6 (SB16) will add extra T6 H5 to BLASTER env var.
/O[1/2], for Intel HDA only: 0 - output to headphone, 1 - output to speaker. default value is 1.

Note on some other compatibility issues: you may want to disable PM games if real mode games don't work, use /PM0. use /RM0 to disable real mode support. I think it's still a long way to go. not a easy one.

SBEMU.zip

I delete the this zip and uploaded a new one that skips IRQ0 & IRQ1 (timer & keyboard). Hope this one will make the keyboard work.

Reply 266 of 406, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazii wrote on 2023-02-22, 14:46:
Show full quote

- New Options added:

SBEMU.zip

I delete the this zip and uploaded a new one that skips IRQ0 & IRQ1 (timer & keyboard). Hope this one will make the keyboard work.

Blood works now. 😀 But keys in Prince don't. I.e. still reacting only on several presses in a row.

Last edited by Bondi on 2023-02-22, 18:50. Edited 1 time in total.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 267 of 406, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need to block the IRQ problems and remain the maximum compatibility. But didn't why it won't work on some PCs. 🤣
I again skipped hacking of the IRQ8 (RTC) that might help. 🤣

Now I'm digging the MDK & Wolf3D problems, after hacking the IRQ, wolf3d doesn't freeze on my computer. but the key release problem remains. I've no clue at all, could it be the V86 monitor or the HDPMI or the SBEMU code causing the problem. wolf3d's key release is OK without SBEMU, but with QEMM & HDPMI. The keyboard IRQ failed to be serviced that the game cannot detect the key release sometimes, especially multiple key down/up happens.

Reply 268 of 406, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazii wrote on 2023-02-22, 15:36:

I need to block the IRQ problems and remain the maximum compatibility. But didn't why it won't work on some PCs. 🤣

Now I'm digging the MDK & Wolf3D problems, after hacking the IRQ, wolf3d doesn't freeze on my computer. but the key release problem remains. I've no clue at all, could it be the V86 monitor or the HDPMI or the SBEMU code causing the problem. wolf3d's key release is OK without SBEMU, but with QEMM & HDPMI. The keyboard IRQ failed to be serviced that the game cannot detect the key release sometimes, especially multiple key down/up happens.

Ah, now that you wrote, I also had this release bug in Wolf3d and Heretic. I thought it was my keyboard. 😁
It just started to spin around sometimes, very rarely though.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 269 of 406, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2023-02-22, 15:43:

Ah, now that you wrote, I also had this release bug in Wolf3d and Heretic. I thought it was my keyboard. 😁

Can you test Prince again, that zip is reuploaded. 🤣

Reply 270 of 406, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazii wrote on 2023-02-22, 15:53:

I regret to say it, but now Blood is not working again, as well as Prince.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 271 of 406, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2023-02-22, 16:06:
crazii wrote on 2023-02-22, 15:53:

I regret to say it, but now Blood is not working again, as well as Prince.

Hell no 🤣. something gotta be wrong, this needs to be figured out. But I don't have a machine type of yours, which makes it hard. 🤣

I'll see if I can get a Thinkpad x230.

Reply 272 of 406, by KormaX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I tested the newest version, but not with Jemmex.

I compiled the proper version of Jemm386 so I can sideload it in my normal setup in order to switch to a "Sound Blaster compatibility mode" on fly, which is far better than rebooting.

What's more, on my system, it is much more stable, compatible and reliable than the original method. For example, Blood works well with RM and PM support enabled.

On the other hand, Prince of Persia doesn't see it and Prince of Persia can still only see an AdLib.

Shanghai II used to freeze earlyer, but now it works with music. I don't know whether it is because of the improvement in SBEMU or because of my JEMM386-based setup. Yet, SFX is buggy, only one short noise and no SE anymore.

Prehistorik 2 still doesn't work.

Warcraft 2 and WWF Wrestlemania doesn't work at all.

Monkey Island crashes and Moinkey Island 2 only see AdLib.

Fashback doesn't produce SFX, only music.

Powball produces sped up music.

But most games actually really works and works well.

That's IMPRESSIVE, man! I really like it. My English is not adequate enough to express how much.

Now, there is a very old tool, called Virtual Sound Blaster (VSB.COM) that's incompatible with almost everything, but actually IS able to convince RM games with funky autodetection methods like Prehistorik 2 that it's a Sound Blaster card and outputs low quality sounds through the IBM speaker. This is very likely because VSB.COM is simple like a stone axe and doesn't do much, and is quite primitive. Almost everything, a sane DOS user (if there's such a thing) nowadays would like to use, can't run anymore as there's no exit from the v86 jail except reboot.

So my idea is that if there are games -- and other programs -- that can only be fooled by more aggressive, more restrictive methods, maybe it'd be useful to have SBEMU modify its behaviour on fly (which would also be useful for the volume and output setting) and be able to temporarily turn it into a v86 nightmare for those violently real mode games than switch it back to normal operation for everything else.

Last edited by KormaX on 2023-02-22, 17:37. Edited 1 time in total.

May the DOS be with you!

Reply 273 of 406, by EduBat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any hints on how you guys are doing the testing ? So far all my tests end up with a "exception 0d in ring 0" (or something like that.) It must be something really silly that I'm overlooking.
My setup is a pentium 4 with a ICH-3M running Freedos 1.3.
I load jemmex in fdconfig.sys with device=jemmex.exe (no other options) then follow the instructions in the read.me in the zip file.
Both Freedoom and Boom show the error message above.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 274 of 406, by KormaX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I was able to make it partially reversible.
I loaded HDPMI32I with
LOADSYS /R

and I loaded SBEMU with
LOADSYS /R /i08 /i09 /i0A /i0B /i0C /i0D /i0E /i0F /i1C /i70 /i71 /i72 /i73 /i74 /i75 /i76 /i77

(I learned which vectors are to be marked by loading once just with LOADSYS /R and redirecting the output to a file so loadsys was able to list them. They might be different on other configs, IDK.) Then LOADSYS /U unloads SBEMU and LOADSYS /U again unloads HDPMI32I, that itself would refuse to unload based on the fact that SBEMU hasn't been unloaded properly and the XMS space it used is still managed by HDPMI32I.

Now, I can't unload JEMM386 once I loaded it, of course, not even with MARKNET+RELNET and I'm also pretty sure that this agressive unloading method corrupts the XMS to some degree, but not the interrupt vectors, so at least one can reload SBMU with different settings or reset it when some other program re-initializes the sound hardware for itself. I mean, at least a few times before it leads to something unpleasent just like other forms of violence do. I only tested it for two consecutive initializations, and it worked.

May the DOS be with you!

Reply 275 of 406, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
crazii wrote on 2023-02-22, 09:40:

I think those need more investigations, like incompatible games. Not sure I can fix it but I'll try.

Happy to report further success on several fronts with the latest (22-Feb) binary.
1. 16-bit audio now works! (mostly, somewhat finicky), and the emulated card detects as SB16 DSP v. 4.0 and I tested common games like Duke 3D, Quake, Doom, Descent, Descent 2, and all work. With high-quality 16-bit stereo sound, and emulated OPL3 music at port 0x388. Internal speakers work in HDA. Hooray! Hoever, I still can't get Screamer, Screamer 2, or Need for Speed SE working with any sound. They're all DOS4gw protected mode racing games. Tried restubbing with DOS32A and d3x to no avail. Sound works OK in their setup programs but the games freeze or produce no sound upon startup.
2. I got OpenMPT to output 16-bit, 44100 stereo sound from my module files! Fabulous, not sped up any longer
3. DMP v. 3.01 worked once or twice in real mode to also produce 16-bit, 44100 audio from Protracker .mod files. Great!
4. DSS still does not work. It seems to detect the SB16, but still plays using PC-speaker mode, even though I modifyed its .cfg file to specifically change from PC speaker to SB16, with correct IRQ, DMA settings.
5. Open Cubic Player = same story as with Digitial Sound System. I'm using v. 1.6 (protected mode, pmode and also re-stubbed with D3x and / or dow4gw / DOS32A). It seems to detect emulated SB16 of SBEMU, but either freezes or plays static (random noise) with 16-bit signed 44100 PCM .wav files. If I change the .cfg file to tell it to use SB Pro instead, I get the sped-up audio again, and no way to slow it down except to cut speed to 50% manually through Cubic Player.
6. MikMod v. 3.2.9 still doesn't work in SB16 mode -- says "Detection problem", But will work still with sped-up sound in Sb Pro mode. Could be IRQ / DMA problem?

I've not yet found a simple DOS .wav file player which is compatible with SBEMU. MpxPlay doesn't detect the emulated SB16 or any SB at all with SBEMU loaded. It *does* detect the raw HDA sound card, but again, due to its bugs that *you fixed* it doesn't play .wav or .flac files using its native drivers, either.

The Amiga sound .MODs / XM / S3ms all play great using players for these types of files, but those .MOD players don't play regular .wav or .flac or .mp3 files as well (that's *not* fault of SBEMU, but fault of those .mod playing programs for not having ability to play uncompressed .pcm audio as well as .mods).

Can anyone report success on getting simple uncompressed 16-bit/44100/stereo PCM audio playing? What is another great DOS program which will work with just playing .WAVs, .flacs, and .mp3s / AAC that I might try?

And, BTW: I tried "The Last Eichoff" again, and its audio is still speed up! And goes silent once you get past the title screen, and start the game. Strange.

Also, I figured out / verified:
- You don't need to load JEMMEX (or any EMS memory) manager at all to use SBEMU in *protected* mode games / programs. Then, MTRRLFBE and LFB writecombining works as normal. Problem solved

- As recommended, it is better to *not* enable both protected mode and real mode at the same time using SBEMU. Use one or the other. Real mode SB-emulation requires JEMMEX to enter v86 mode.

- I've created seperate "turnkey" .bat files to quickly enable the settings I need for either /rm0 or /pm0 and volume, speaker internal vs headphone, etc.

I report still these bugs / problems which still appear in latest (22-Feb binary).

- I can't run SBEMU.EXE again after I've run it the initial time, in order to change settings / modify values. It does run *once*, regardless of settings, regardless of protected mode or real mode emulation. However, all future attempts to run it again / change settings result in a SIGFAULT generated CWSDMPI / DPMI. The only way to reconfigure is to reboot the machine. This behavior occurs on all three of my HDA systems, with no other DOS TSRs except either JEMMEX or HimemSX running. Not sure of this is an HDPMI32 problem, or what?

-I've also experienced random keyboard errors / problems / freezes when using SBEMU and, especially when exiting games. The keyboard can be "stuck", not register keys, or register erratic or "random" letters. The same happens sometimes within programs. Ex: PCAE, the excellent (real mode) Atari 2600 emulator for DOS, works perfectly with emulated SB sound, but the keyboard keys are messed up. (arrow keys don't work properly in the program playing the emulated Atari 2600 games like Dark Cavern, ET, Ms. Pacman, etc). Frustrating. Even using its "remap" keyboard program doesn't fix.

-After quitting some programs, the sound is not silent, ie. it gives a loud buzz or beep or random dissonance. It persists until I either run another game / program using SBEMU or reboot. Seems that SBEMU doesn't "reset" the emulated SB card to "silent" after quitting some games. Running SBMIX, volume setting utility and setting master volume to "0" fixes that random disharmonious sound as well.

Reply 276 of 406, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zyzzle wrote on 2023-02-23, 00:21:

Can anyone report success on getting simple uncompressed 16-bit/44100/stereo PCM audio playing? What is another great DOS program which will work with just playing .WAVs, .flacs, and .mp3s / AAC that I might try?

I was testing a .WAV named Ring05.wav located at Windows\Media on windows 10, it succeeded but I don't use any player.

And, BTW: I tried "The Last Eichoff" again, and its audio is still speed up! And goes silent once you get past the title screen, and start the game. Strange.

I tested on VirtualBox only 🤣, I'll do it in real machine later.

Also, I figured out / verified:
- You don't need to load JEMMEX (or any EMS memory) manager at all to use SBEMU in *protected* mode games / programs. Then, MTRRLFBE and LFB writecombining works as normal. Problem solved

Yes, SBEMU will auto disable RM support if no QEMM or JEMM present.

- I can't run SBEMU.EXE again after I've run it the initial time, in order to change settings / modify values. It does run *once*, regardless of settings, regardless of protected mode or real mode emulation. However, all future attempts to run it again / change settings result in a SIGFAULT generated CWSDMPI / DPMI. The only way to reconfigure is to reboot the machine. This behavior occurs on all three of my HDA systems, with no other DOS TSRs except either JEMMEX or HimemSX running. Not sure of this is an HDPMI32 problem, or what?

No, it's not a problem of HDPMI, SBEMU is so experimental that it doesn't have reenter detection, it'll try TSR each time it runs, which is obviously wrong. I'll try add it.

Reply 277 of 406, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You mean you deleted the .ZIP from 22.Feb binary posted last night, and replaced with new one which skips IRQ 0/1?
This might fix the problems I also had in using arrow keys in the PCAE Atari 2600 emulator. I'll check. I also will check Prince of Persia 1 and 2 and report if the arrow keys are working.
This new zip (22.Feb version #2?) also might fix the other random keyboard problems I was having last night and also with your 20.Feb binary after you applied the "Doom Hack" IRQ fix to all IRQs (including 0/1).
I'll test this new binary.

Reply 278 of 406, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zyzzle wrote on 2023-02-23, 04:51:
You mean you deleted the .ZIP from 22.Feb binary posted last night, and replaced with new one which skips IRQ 0/1? This might fi […]
Show full quote

You mean you deleted the .ZIP from 22.Feb binary posted last night, and replaced with new one which skips IRQ 0/1?
This might fix the problems I also had in using arrow keys in the PCAE Atari 2600 emulator. I'll check. I also will check Prince of Persia 1 and 2 and report if the arrow keys are working.
This new zip (22.Feb version #2?) also might fix the other random keyboard problems I was having last night and also with your 20.Feb binary after you applied the "Doom Hack" IRQ fix to all IRQs (including 0/1).
I'll test this new binary.

Yes, zip file in this post was updated: Re: Possibility to write OPL3 sound driver for protected mode games

Reply 279 of 406, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KormaX wrote on 2023-02-22, 17:35:

I compiled the proper version of Jemm386 so I can sideload it in my normal setup in order to switch to a "Sound Blaster compatibility mode" on fly, which is far better than rebooting.

Sounds very promising! Is it possible to upload your compiled JEMM386 binary here for us to test? If it enables loading from commandline and being disabled / enabled without rebooting, that is fabulous. It also seems a wonderful success that you found this custom-compiled version more stable with SBEMU (I assume you're using the latest .zip 22.Feb version just posted?). Are you willing to share the JEMM binary which can be 'sideloaded'? Appreciated.