VOGONS

Hot EMU8000

Topic actions

First post, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the back of the SB32 sound card I see a visible change in the colour of the PCB caused by the heat load from the EMU8000 chip. The chip was very warm to the touch, so I fitted it with at least a passive radiator with hot-conducting adhesive tape. I mean, is this heat load normal or is there something wrong with my card?

Attachments

• ct3600a.jpg
    Filename
    ct3600a.jpg
    File size
    248.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • ct3600.jpg
    Filename
    ct3600.jpg
    File size
    210.69 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Chips that have IC405A written on them do get hot but not this hot, this is definitely not normal.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 7, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for your input. Yes, it is IC405A. The card was originally installed in the lowest ISA slot in a small AT case and I'm afraid the airflow there was zero (no case fan) - so is it possible,that there was local overheating? Or is it still an abnormal condition? Then what could have caused it?

Attachments

• sb32.jpg
    Filename
    sb32.jpg
    File size
    664.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • case.jpg
    Filename
    case.jpg
    File size
    135.36 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Age + internal flaws in silicon/chip connections, potentially static discharge.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 7, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well these little faulty/little hot chips may be ok for years to come, and they may die tomorrow. I have first had experience. even chips that should be cool as a cucumber.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 6 of 7, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you all. Anyway, the card's working fine so far, so I'll leave the passive radiator and see. Interestingly, the PCB coloration is only on the back and not around the EMU8000 chip from the front. At first I wondered, if there might have been some other hot chip, that would have turned the PCB brown, but I couldn't think of an ISA/VLB card, that would have been hot enough to overheat a card in the neighborhood.

Reply 7 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the PCB coloration is only on the back and not around the EMU8000 chip from the front

Cuz physics.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.