VOGONS

Sound Blaster 16 Clones

Topic actions

Reply 280 of 281, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Little bump as I'm playing around with my ALS cards again.

Installed my "J-Sir" ALS007 card in a slightly exotic (VLB...) Pentium 100 system. ALS007 and ALS100 drivers are in the same package, but the config util is clearly quite different - most obviously because there's no separate high DMA option - it just gets given same DMA as you select for low. That was already noted by gerwin years ago. Thing is, I'm not totally convinced this is a hardware difference, so I'm going to try the ALS100 drivers on this card, and both drivers on an ALS100 that I know does allow separate high DMA. Will report findings here.

(in any event this system is getting a different card afterwards, as the 3.5mm audio out connector is dodgy, losing me the right channel unless I physically push against the plug)

Edit:
Finished testing and it's clearly hardware, unfortunately. Even if I have ALS.INI from the ALS100 specifying SB16DMA16=5, running ALSINIT.EXE pointing to that ALS.INI results in High DMA being equal to Low DMA, i.e. A220 I5 D1 H1. Conversely, if I take my ALS100 card, the same setup gives H5.

Reply 281 of 281, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2020-08-31, 12:49:

Sound Edge (SW20PC) most definitely has no SB16 support, only WSS and partial SBpro support.

This is why DOSBox X emulates the OPL3 and not the OPL4.

Daniel L Newhouse