VOGONS

Reply 261 of 272, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Axatax wrote on 2021-03-11, 16:13:

OK, so apparently not all coin cells in this format are lithium batteries. There were 2016 Alkaline cells made, and that's probably what's in the SC-55, and why they're leaking.

I never heard about Alkaline 2016 cells being a thing. Do you have some more info about those ?

Reply 263 of 272, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dimitris1980 wrote on 2021-03-14, 19:34:

Has anyone opened the Yamaha MU50 to check the battery? Is it soldered?

MU50 has spot welded battery connection, so yeah replacing it involves soldering.

Interestingly enough my example shows 2.7 V but no low battery warning as of yet. 25+ years old - very impressive.

Reply 264 of 272, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for the info. Today the "low battery" message appeared on screen on my Yamaha MU50. As Keropi correctly have mentioned, the Roland Sound Canvas SC55 doesn't need the battery for games because they need the default settings, so the power and volume buttons are enough. The same goes for Yamaha?

Reply 265 of 272, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Blaster wrote on 2021-02-22, 23:12:

Oh yeah I remember seeing some PSU's with this crappy stuff, it woud turn dark brown over time and actually cause a short.

Old Thrashbarg wrote on 2013-08-02, 21:50:

glue eating traces? never seen that... maybe the cap leaked and caused this...

No, there is indeed a glue that'll turn corrosive. I'm not sure exactly what sort of substance it is, but I've seen it a couple times myself in some '80s stereo equipment. And I know it wasn't a leaky cap, because it happened in some places that weren't near a cap.

There's also sort of glue that eventually carbonizes and goes conductive after prolonged exposure to heat. I've seen a fair number of PC PSUs that have failed because of that... and I imagine it made for quite a light show in cases where it shorted stuff on the primary side.

If you're lucky, the time-compromised glue will "merely" self-combust like mine did.

Reply 266 of 272, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dimitris1980 wrote on 2021-03-14, 21:24:

Thank you for the info. Today the "low battery" message appeared on screen on my Yamaha MU50. As Keropi correctly have mentioned, the Roland Sound Canvas SC55 doesn't need the battery for games because they need the default settings, so the power and volume buttons are enough. The same goes for Yamaha?

While I haven't disconnected personally my battery as of yet I think unit will just reset into factory default settings.

Reply 267 of 272, by BatkatA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys.
Maybe it is not the correct place to ask but i will try.
I remember a post for Roland sc55 where a person comment that he repair it or order another one for spares.
I think the oerson was from Finland.
I want to ask for help about spare parts for an old roland.
I'll be happy if someone had one for spares.

Please write me PM if you have or link to the post
Thanks in advance

Reply 268 of 272, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not a SC55 and not a battery... but there are other things that can leak too 😒

The Korg AG-10 I got wasn't working, it receives MIDI data but doesn't output any audio, luckily the seller was honest enough and refunded me the money, I poked around a bit to see if I can find anything and well... this doesn't look too good:

KorgAG10b.jpg
Filename
KorgAG10b.jpg
File size
296.76 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 269 of 272, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2021-03-31, 00:37:

The Korg AG-10 I got wasn't working, it receives MIDI data but doesn't output any audio, luckily the seller was honest enough and refunded me the money, I poked around a bit to see if I can find anything and well... this doesn't look too good:
KorgAG10b.jpg

Yeap, looks similar to what I found inside my SD-20 when it wasn't outputting any audio from the RCA jacks or headphone jack. It would only work through TOS-link which was okay, but I wanted it all working. Replaced out the caps when I found a few with grey and dull looking solder compared to the other components and knew then, that the caps had likely leaked and were starting to corrode the solder joints. Replaced them all out with standard radial electrolytic nichicon's I had on hand and it has been good since.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-90, SD-20

Reply 270 of 272, by Schule04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's the insides of the MU50. The soldered battery does not look like a normal CR2032, it is wider and thicker. It doesn't seem to be leaking and measured 2.5V for me

20210401_0003_01.jpg
Filename
20210401_0003_01.jpg
File size
862.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 271 of 272, by auron

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2021-03-31, 00:37:

KorgAG10b.jpg

someone might have tried to change the caps at one point, think this is how that unit is supposed to look like: https://www.wavetable.nl/wp-content/uploads/K … nals-scaled.jpg

and what's with that unsoldered diode?

Reply 272 of 272, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

interesting, looking closer at that picture though shows some differences in the board, so probably a different revision, the diode might have been a factory botch job, who knows... if you look closely you can see that in place of the botched diode there is a "ZD2" on the board directly, so I assume that was a fix before they made a new board revision.