VOGONS

First post, by StupidBunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been spending the last couple of weeks installing MS-DOS and Windows 3.1 onto an early-2000s desktop computer I had around. For the most part I have it in good working order, but the infamous Privateer static-ey sound issue has been dogging me without any apparent resolution. I have tried the game with and without any music (the music does work fine when selected with Sound Blaster PRO/16). I've tried with and without XMSDSK. I tried QEMM which gave me a lot more upper memory but which also prevented a lot of games from working properly/at all.

CPU: Pentium 4
RAM: 2.49 GB (as reported by Windows XP, also installed on this computer)

Sound card: Montego II Turtle Beach PCI card with Aureal Vortex 2 AU8830 audio

AUTOEXEC.BAT

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
SET INFILEDIR=C:\AU30DOS

LH /L:0;2,688 /S C:\XMSDSK\XMSDSK.EXE R: 49096 /y /t

C:\AU30DOS\AU30DOS.COM
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

REM CD-ROM device drivers
LH /L:0;3,6160 /S C:\DOS\SHSUCDX.COM /D:mscd001 /L:E

REM Mouse drivers
LH /L:0;2,3104 /S C:\DOS\CTMOUSE.EXE

CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM HIGHSCAN I=B000-B7FF D=64 16000 /I=B000-B7FF WIN=CD00-CDFF WIN=B500-B7FF
BUFFERS=40,0
FILES=100

DOS=HIGH,UMB
LASTDRIVE=Z
FCBS=4,0

DEVICEHIGH /L:2,3760 =C:\DOS\XCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001

BREAK=ON

STACKS=9,256
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM C:\DOS /P

MEM.EXE reports roughly 66 MB of memory, when of course my computer has quite a bit more than that. It also reports only 31 kB of upper memory which seems small to me. In any event, when loading in only the devices listed above Privateer runs fine, scratchy sound aside. A few other games, such as Breakfree, also run with staticky sound effects.

Reply 1 of 13, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now I only have experience with this game in DosBOX but I noticed the game (and indeed the sound system it uses) really freaks out when you have more than 11 MB of free memory.

Try reducing the amount of memory usable?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 13, by StupidBunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are there any tools you recommend for doing that? Thus far, I've been able to limit available EMS using EMM386 (I've tried going as low as 4096, though 16000/16384 are the most commonly suggested) and allocate the remaining XMS to a ramdisk using XMSDSK. Neither has been able to fix the sound problem. It has occurred to me to try to find a way to limit the overall physical memory DOS sees, but I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that.

Reply 3 of 13, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can try using CPUCACHE.COM or SetMul to disable L2 cache, it somtimes help getting the sound right on faster machines. AFAIK you can't disable L1 cache on Pentium 4.

SetMul

CPUCACHE.COM - Homepage

Edit: You can also try out Throttle which can slow the Pentium 4 even further down.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 13, by StupidBunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried CPUCACHE and SetMul, though both crashed when I tried using them with EMM386 so I've switched to JEMMEX for the time being. I've also physically removed three of the RAM sticks in the computer, which brings the overall RAM down do a slightly more manageable 1 GB. This at least keeps XMSDSK from freaking out when I try to allocate a ~1GB RAMdrive, but the sound problem remains.

Here's my updated AUTOEXEC and CONFIG. Let me know as always if you need any other information, like MEM reports or whatever.

AUTOEXEC.BAT

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
SET INIFILEDIR=C:\AU30DOS

REM LH C:\SLOWDOWN\CPUCACHE.COM D
LH C:\SETMUL\SETMUL.EXE L1D

C:\XMSDSK\XMSDSK.EXE R: 1023808 /y /t

C:\AU30DOS\AU30DOS.COM
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

REM CD-ROM device drivers
LH C:\DOS\SHSUCDX.COM /D:mscd001 /L:E

REM Mousie drivers
LH C:\DOS\CTMOUSE.EXE

CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=C:\JEMM575B\JEMMEX.EXE 16000 I=B000-B7FF NOVME /V
DEVICE=C:\XMSDSK\SETXMSTO.EXE 1040192

BUFFERS=40,0
FILES=100
DOS=UMB
LASTDRIVE=Z
FCBS=4,0

DOS=HIGH

DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\XCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001

BREAK=ON

STACKS=9,256
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM C:\DOS /P

DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\ANSI.SYS

Reply 5 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just recently played through Privateer on my Pentium MS-DOS PC. I believe Origin requires EMM386 and I just limited the EMS to 4MB:
c:\dos\emm386.exe 4096
and it ran fine.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 13, by StupidBunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I reverted to using EMM386 with 4MB of EMS, which I had tried before a few times but never with 3/4 of my RAM removed. I hoped this would make the difference, but of course it doesn't, irrespective of whether or not I use XMSDSK. (On an unrelated note, Rogue of all things is suddenly freezing every time I try to play it, which doesn't make much sense to me.)

Reply 7 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use HIMEMX and JEMM386 (with the NOVME flag) to run Privateer. Works like a charm.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 13, by StupidBunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

I use HIMEMX and JEMM386 (with the NOVME flag) to run Privateer. Works like a charm.

Do you use XMSDSK with that, or the /MAX flag with HIMEMX? I'm working through this option now but I'm still getting the same scraping sound effects.

Could it be something to do with the sound card? Or am I just not configuring my memory managers correctly? 😜

Reply 9 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have used the MAX flag on an AM2 system, so I can confirm that works well.

What chipset does your motherboard have?

Reply 13 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may be able to use a Yamaha PCI card with DSDMA instead, but the Intel 9xx series chipsets aren't great with DOS.