Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys. Firstly, my setup will be the following;

Roland MT-32 (Old)
Roland SC-55 MKII
Roland CM-64
Yamaha MU100
Roland MPU-401/AT or SCC-1A? Own both so your opinions would be appreciated. Assuming the MPU-401/AT given that the SCC-1A has an onboard SC-55 MKII and I'll be using an external midi module for that anyway.

Now I plan to run a midi through box to connect the midi modules and then run a through midi cable from the CM-64 to the MT-32. The reason for this is that the MT-32 will not be used for sound, purely just for messages via the LCD screen. The CM-64 will handle the MT-32 sounds. Next, audio cables will run from the midi modules to a Rolls MX44 Pro audio mixer which will then connect to my speakers.

Regarding my question, I know the Roland Super MPU64 can be used in Windows 98 but can it work as a standard midi through box via Dos? If not I also have an AmpTone Lab Midi Splitter I could use but I'd prefer to use the Super MPU64 so it doesn't sit there gaining dust so to speak.

Reply 1 of 37, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

> The reason for this is that the MT-32 will not be used for sound, purely just for messages via the LCD screen. The CM-64 Will handle the MT-32 sounds

Except the 64 can't handle the 32 sounds with 100% compatibility.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 2 of 37, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CM-64 is a combination of the CM-32L with the sample-based CM-32P. The CM-32L is basically an MT-32 with extra sounds so it's actually the MT-32 that can never have 100% compatibility due to lacking the extra sounds from the CM-32L. Only downfall to the CM-64 is that it contains a slight bit more noise due to the dual PCB's so a CM-32L is more ideal. Also need to make sure the CM-32L portion of the CM-64 has its Rom updated to the latest version to get rid of the clicking/popping sound bug.

Reply 3 of 37, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there are differences on the engine between mt-32 (old) and CM-32L which uses the "new" sound engine.
Phil has a video , check the section "Games that require the MT-32 (old)" -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLvsaJ4h-VY&t=7576s
Basically some sounds are not rendered the same, if a game is made specifically for the old mt-32 or the lapc-i/cm-32l it will not sound right with the other device, this is observed in custom sounds that get uploaded.

The Roland Super MPU64 is a part of the newer roland cards that are targeted towards windows and more serious usage, if you pass the MPU401-AT/SCC-1 era you'll see dos support is basic at best and with issues. Since you have the MPU401-AT/SCC-1 cards there is no need to add more problems to your build 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 37, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Keropi. In that case I'm better off using both the MT-32 and CM-64 depending on which game I'm playing at the time. I'd only use the MT-32 for games that require the old MT-32 and use the CM-64 for everything else. Would this be a better way of doing it?

Regarding the Super MPU64, should I just use it for Windows based games and then use the AmpTone Lab Midi Splitter for everything dos related? Or just use the AmpTone Lab Midi Splitter for everything? What midi splitter do you use btw? Also what audio mixer?

https://amptonelab.com/products/midi-splitter/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/134180 … nel_stereo.html

Reply 5 of 37, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes that is the best way: use each device for it's games.
Windows-based games don't care about roland mpus or intelligent modes, a simple uart mpu is all they care... you can even use a usb midi interface if the system is modern enough. So using the MPU64 with windows is good.

I use KENTON splitters, like the one you have it takes 1 midi signal and make it 5 - works great.
My audio mixer is an x-fade VL-303A that I found NOS, it is really good I bought it from an elderly gentleman that had is as a backup for his audio setup, the psu even has dual grounds , one is isolated... it is hard to find a nice mixer nowdays...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 37, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome! Thanks for that mate. Looks like I'm almost set then. Just waiting on some parts to come from the US. Excited about my new black series roland cables 😀

Checked the X-Fade VL-303A out as well but good luck finding those around anymore 🤣 nice find!

Reply 7 of 37, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just thought of something as I'm still waiting for the Roll MX44 Pro to arrive. Would I be able to run the RCA cable from for example the SC-55 into the Rolls mixer and have a 3.5mm audio cable running from a sound blaster into the same Line in so I have midi music coming from the SC-55 and sound effects coming from the sound blaster? Or would I need to run the RCA to the mixer and the 3.5mm cable to separate speakers? Hope this makes sense.

I've attached 2 photos of the mixer for your reference.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 37, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is recommended to use each device in a separate channel, meaning:
- connect SB audio-out to CH.1
- connect SC-55 audio-out to CH.2

this way you will have total control - you'll soon find out that music/sfx volumes vary from game to game and having a mixer really comes handy.
My mixer has 3 stereo inputs, I connect them like this:
- SB
- GUS
- MIDI

now the MIDI input goes to an audio source selector and I have connected there my SC-55 mk1/SC-55 mk2/MT-32/CM-32L so I just chose from the selector the module I want to hear and tune it's volume with the mixer. Works great but there are too many cables 🤣 🤣 🤣

Reply 9 of 37, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, now if I connect the 3.5mm cable from the sound blaster to just say CH.2 and the midi modules to CH.1, does that mean that I cannot also have another midi module plugged into CH.2 due to the 3.5mm cable also being plugged in there?

The reason I ask is because there will be 4 midi modules plugged into the mixer meaning all inputs will be occupied with midi cables.

Assuming you mean that when I'm running whichever midi module, just make sure the 3.5mm cable is plugged into another port to save interference on that Channel?

Edit: looking at your setup, it looks like I actually may need to purchase another Rolls MX44 Pro. Otherwise I'm going to have to keep swapping around cables which will get annoying real quick. So 1 for the 4 midi modules and another for the sound blasters. Got a few Pc's setup.

Reply 10 of 37, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

instead of connecting all midi modules to the mixer connect the midi modules to a source selector like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOT-Input-1-Output … U0ZJx:rk:6:pf:0 and use the mixer to fine tune between midi/sfx. It's just adding another cheap device to the chain and you won't have to worry about cables and using one port for 2 things etc
at least that it what I did

Reply 11 of 37, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
borgie83 wrote:

Regarding my question, I know the Roland Super MPU64 can be used in Windows 98 but can it work as a standard midi through box via Dos?.

AFAIK not. It's Windows 98 to XP-only. Unless MIDI-thru mode can work without a PC connection...

Reply 12 of 37, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
borgie83 wrote:

The reason I ask is because there will be 4 midi modules plugged into the mixer meaning all inputs will be occupied with midi cables.

Just in case, you mean the audio cables from the MIDI modules' audio outputs, right? MIDI connections don't carry any audio.

Reply 13 of 37, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Keropi and yawetaG; I understand that 2 sound sources shouldn't be connected to the same channel but if Midi connections don't carry any audio then wouldn't the midi connection and 3.5mm connection per channel on the MX44 Pro be separate to each other within each channel thus not interfering with each other? Just curious.

I'll still take your advice Keropi though as having 2 separate mixers, 1 for the midi modules and 1 for the sound blasters would be a cleaner setup and allow me to leave everything as is without having to keep unplugging and plugging cables back in again. Just select which sound card and fire away so to speak.

Not sure if Midi through mode can work without a PC connection for the Super MPU64. I'd be interested to test it out. Keropi said that it's dos support was basic and had issues though. Do we know what issues exactly?

Oh and yes yawetaG. That's what I meant sorry.

Reply 14 of 37, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
borgie83 wrote:

@Keropi and yawetaG; I understand that 2 sound sources shouldn't be connected to the same channel but if Midi connections don't carry any audio then wouldn't the midi connection and 3.5mm connection per channel on the MX44 Pro be separate to each other within each channel thus not interfering with each other? Just curious.

Just another small thing, as I don't think it was mentioned in the thread: You'll need a cable with a 3.5 mm stereo plug on one side and 2x RCA on the other side to connect the soundblasters to the mixer.

Not sure if Midi through mode can work without a PC connection for the Super MPU64. I'd be interested to test it out. Keropi said that it's dos support was basic and had issues though. Do we know what issues exactly?

I'm not sure how it would even work in pure DOS. It's an early USB-to-MIDI interface, and AFAIK the official drivers do not support DOS (unless Keropi meant using it for DOS games started from within Windows 98...).

Reply 15 of 37, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ wait, MPU64 is a usb device? I am sorry I thought it was an ISA one I was thinking the super-mpu-at2 or something like that it was called... for USB no dos support as yawetaG says.
Like I mentioned before, anything after mpu401at/scc-1 is not suitable for dos be it ISA or USB or whatever 😀 it's just a waste of time going past that point

Reply 16 of 37, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

^ wait, MPU64 is a usb device? I am sorry I thought it was an ISA one I was thinking the super-mpu-at2 or something like that it was called... for USB no dos support as yawetaG says.

Indeed, it's a 4 IN, 4 OUT (hence "64", 4 x 16 MIDI channels) USB MIDI interface, that only works on Windows 98-XP and non-OS X MacOS, and that was quickly renamed "UM-4" when it was released a second time in a new color scheme...

Reply 17 of 37, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
keropi wrote:

Indeed, it's a 4 IN, 4 OUT (hence "64", 4 x 16 MIDI channels) USB MIDI interface, that only works on Windows 98-XP and non-OS X MacOS, and that was quickly renamed "UM-4" when it was released a second time in a new color scheme...

Yes I noticed it was released as a UM-4 using the beige colour scheme. Look's pretty much the same besides the renaming and colour.

Well unfortunately the Super MPU64 will have to be placed aside for the time being. Cool little unit though so I'll try find a use for it.

Reply 18 of 37, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I decided to return the Rolls MX44 Pro mixers in place of a Rolls RM219 mixer rack. I'll then mount the rack to my desk. Seems to be perfect for what I'm after. Not cheap but I prefer quality anyway.

Finding 8-10 channel mixers with 1/4" Jack's or RCA jacks is harder than I thought it would be to find (With Stereo inputs anyway). Narrowed it down to the Rolls RM219 or Behringer RX1602 but chose the Rolls unit due to being made in the USA. Also has more features than the Behringer.

http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=RM219

Attachments

• images-326.jpg
    Filename
    images-326.jpg
    File size
    18.69 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Rolls RM219 (Front)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • images-285.jpg
    Filename
    images-285.jpg
    File size
    21.48 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Rolls RM219 (Back)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 37, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
borgie83 wrote:

So I decided to return the Rolls MX44 Pro mixers in place of a Rolls RM219 mixer rack. I'll then mount the rack to my desk. Seems to be perfect for what I'm after. Not cheap but I prefer quality anyway.

Finding 8-10 channel mixers with 1/4" Jack's or RCA jacks is harder than I thought it would be to find (With Stereo inputs anyway).

Stereo inputs may not be explicitly labeled as such in ad material, since they're usually just a pair of mono ones (depending on the mixer this may or may not have implications for how it handles audio internally). So you can buy a mixer advertised as having 10 mono inputs with no mention of stereo in the ad, but that will be equal to having 5 stereo inputs in practice.

BTW, really good analog mixers (as opposed to the cheaper digital mixers such as the Rolls) can run in the thousands of dollars...