VOGONS

First post, by MarcV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Back in the days a Roland SC-55 was way out of my price range but I could afford a SCC-1. I managed to have someone import it from the US for me, making it even cheaper! 😁
However, the SCC-1 has been collecting dust for many years now as I no longer have a PC with ISA bus available.

Now I was wondering if it would be possible to just apply power to the card and connect the MIDI IN connector of the card to my USB-MIDI adapter, would it play the music from that port? Has anyone tried this already?

I could of course also sell the card on eBay and get me a "real" sound canvas instead. I have no idea what to ask for this card though... there's currently one on eBay from a german seller who asks €1000 for the card. That seems like a ridiculous price to me though...

...but I might be wrong...

Reply 1 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you can indeed sell it and get enough money to get a sc-55 and one or two more modules along with a quality usb midi interface. Ok 1000e is indeed ridiculous but don't be surprised if this ends up selling near half of it...
one good solution IMHO is the SC-8820 that has onboard midi interface and sc55/88/88pro modes. I tried it comparing DOOM with a real SC-55 and I could not detect a difference that would break the deal just some minor stuff that have no real significance...
or you can just swap it with someone that has some synths and wants a scc1 - you could use amibay for that

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 29, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, 3 cards were sold recently on ebay the prices were GBP 425, EUR 270 and EUR 375. I think it's fine to ask the average of these prices.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 3 of 29, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keep the SCC-1 and buy an SC-55 additionally to that. They are not that expensive. The SCC-1 is worth quite a lot, I think about 400 bucks.

Now I was wondering if it would be possible to just apply power to the card and connect the MIDI IN connector of the card to my USB-MIDI adapter, would it play the music from that port?

I don't see any reason for this not to work. I would not risk damaging the card, however.

Reply 4 of 29, by MarcV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

you can indeed sell it and get enough money to get a sc-55 and one or two more modules along with a quality usb midi interface. Ok 1000e is indeed ridiculous but don't be surprised if this ends up selling near half of it...
one good solution IMHO is the SC-8820 that has onboard midi interface and sc55/88/88pro modes. I tried it comparing DOOM with a real SC-55 and I could not detect a difference that would break the deal just some minor stuff that have no real significance...
or you can just swap it with someone that has some synths and wants a scc1 - you could use amibay for that

Thanks for pointing me to amibay, I didn't know that site.
I'm mainly interested in getting a SC-55mkii or SC-88vl.

Bondi wrote:

Well, 3 cards were sold recently on ebay the prices were GBP 425, EUR 270 and EUR 375. I think it's fine to ask the average of these prices.

So I guess asking - say - €400 would be reasonable? Strange that those cards have a higher value than an external module...
I also still have a MPU-IPC-T collecting dust. Any idea what the value of this card could be?

derSammler wrote:

Keep the SCC-1 and buy an SC-55 additionally to that. They are not that expensive. The SCC-1 is worth quite a lot, I think about 400 bucks.

Now I was wondering if it would be possible to just apply power to the card and connect the MIDI IN connector of the card to my USB-MIDI adapter, would it play the music from that port?

I don't see any reason for this not to work. I would not risk damaging the card, however.

I might give it a try then. I'm not scared of damaging it. After all electronics is my profession... 😉

Reply 5 of 29, by MarcV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To user carlostex : you sent me a PM but I'm still too much of a newbie here and am not allowed to respond to PM's... 🙁

Reply 6 of 29, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aren't there some ISA->USB adapters? That might be a solution for getting it to receive power in a clean way. And you could build then a box around it to make it neat.

EDIT: Also, you can loose newbie status quickly by posting some nice stuff in the "I bought.." or "Retro stuff I did..." threads. Just go to "View active topics". They always pop up there.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 7 of 29, by MarcV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good idea, I will check that out! 😀

Edit:

I checked the arstech card out, which was the only one I could find sofar. For what it costs I can get myself a "true" SC-55 or SC-88... 😒

Reply 8 of 29, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Noone is suggesting another fairly affordable option .... build a s370 system with ISA and use it there. Depending on what else you have lying around this need not be that expensive. You obviously sound interested in games with midi....so why not?

Reply 9 of 29, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alternative: get a cheap ISA backplane:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/IEI-BP … 0841594670.html

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 11 of 29, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:
root42 wrote:

Alternative: get a cheap ISA backplane:

That is just that, a backplane. You need an SBC to use it.

Nah, he wants to simply supply it with power and use it standalone. At least try if he can. 😀 So maybe a backplane with power will suffice.

EDIT: and if that doesn't work... https://monotech.fwscart.com/Nano_8088_Turbo_ … 4_19478757.aspx

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 13 of 29, by MarcV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought the scc1 because of economical reasons back then but what I actualy wanted was a "true" Sc55 or Sc88. Using the Scc1 as an external module was just a thought because I have it lying around anyway. I wouldn't mind swapping it with a Sc55mkII or a Sc88vl (or Sc88pro), so if anyone is interested...
I don't want to set up a separate pc just for the old games. I don't have the room for that anyway. My games play just fine on dosbox 😀

Reply 14 of 29, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Um... I think everyone here would "swap" a SCC1 for the SC55mkII 😁 I sure would!

Make no mistake, the SCC-1 is worth as much as 2-3 SC55mkII... So if your REALLY want to have a SC55, we could arrange a swap. I am also located not THAT far away from you.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 16 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

all of them up to MPU-401AT , after that they became windows oriented cards

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 17 of 29, by MarcV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
root42 wrote:

Um... I think everyone here would "swap" a SCC1 for the SC55mkII 😁 I sure would!

Make no mistake, the SCC-1 is worth as much as 2-3 SC55mkII... So if your REALLY want to have a SC55, we could arrange a swap. I am also located not THAT far away from you.

A module that I can actually use (SC-55mkII or SC-88vl) has more value to me than a module that I cannot use (SCC-1) and I like the look of the SC-55/88 series so yes, a swap is fine to me. But remember, I can receive personal messages on this forum but I still can't send a reply.

Here's a picture of my card:

20190906_161730.jpg

Reply 19 of 29, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I were near you I would definitely be up for a swap with the SCC1. that being said, sell it and get yourself an SC55 or SC88 and have a bunch of money left over.

Do you have the card that goes with the MPU-IP-T? If so, you can probably get around 200-300 for it as well. The breakout by itself goes for about 30-50.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK