VOGONS

First post, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if someone can help me out with some DOS sound support.
I've got a SoundBlaster Audigy 1 SB0090 PCI soundcard.

It seems DOS support has been done before with this card as well as the Audigy 2.
I've found the following but i've had issues. Mostly I suspect is my lack of understanding.

The drivers from here,
audigy dos drivers
They were missing a config ini file when loading.

And the drivers from here:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=4 … menustate=43,36

These could not find the PCI soundcard.

Looking at the attached images and my auto exec file, what am I missing?

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\ATITEC~1\ATICON~1
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET SBPCI=C:\DOSDRV
C:\DOSDRV\SBLOAD
C:\DOSDRV\SBINIT.COM

I guess the drivers I have tried can't get to the PCI card on that IRQ or Address?
Cheers
Mitch

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    200.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 12, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Add the following line "Set CTSYN=c:\DOSDRV" without the quotation marks in your Autoexec.bat file BEFORE the line

That is assuming that your Audigy Dos drivers are located in the directory c:\DOSDRV .
Sbeinit.com wil then be able to find the CTSYN.INI file that holds the config setting for the SB16 emulation - IRQ, DMA, Wavetable *.ecw file etc.
I don't know if you need to run SBLOAD.EXE , i'm not sure what it does but I don't run it and the Audigy Emulation works without it for me.

Reply 2 of 12, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AvalonH wrote on 2020-04-30, 14:53:
Add the following line "Set CTSYN=c:\DOSDRV" without the quotation marks in your Autoexec.bat file BEFORE the line C:\DOSDRV\S […]
Show full quote

Add the following line "Set CTSYN=c:\DOSDRV" without the quotation marks in your Autoexec.bat file BEFORE the line

That is assuming that your Audigy Dos drivers are located in the directory c:\DOSDRV .
Sbeinit.com wil then be able to find the CTSYN.INI file that holds the config setting for the SB16 emulation - IRQ, DMA, Wavetable *.ecw file etc.
I don't know if you need to run SBLOAD.EXE , i'm not sure what it does but I don't run it and the Audigy Emulation works without it for me.

Thank you for that, I will give that a try this morning! 😀

Reply 3 of 12, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Add the following line "Set CTSYN=c:\DOSDRV" without the quotation marks in your Autoexec.bat file BEFORE the line C:\DOSDRV\S […]
Show full quote

Sadly I get the same error. Should I try this line with one of the other driver packages?

Attachments

• soundblaster.jpg
    Filename
    soundblaster.jpg
    File size
    1.16 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lackofpatience wrote on 2020-04-30, 21:34:
Show full quote

Sadly I get the same error. Should I try this line with one of the other driver packages?

EDIT : I meant these drivers won't work : http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=4 … menustate=43,36
You have the wrong drivers .
Excerpt from the readme.txt :

The SBPCI.zip archive contains the dos sound card drivers for all Sound Blaster pci cards (excluding SBLive! and Audigy Models).

Reply 5 of 12, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-04-30, 21:53:

You have the wrong drivers .
Excerpt from the readme.txt :

The SBPCI.zip archive contains the dos sound card drivers for all Sound Blaster pci cards (excluding SBLive! and Audigy Models).

What I get for doing this too late last night! haha oh man,
I will go and search for some more appropriate ones. Or do you happen to have a source for some?
Cheers

Reply 6 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I extracted the DOS drivers from the Audigy 1 package you linked to for you and zipped them up .
Reading Sbeset.txt should help you get started .

Attachments

• Filename
    sb16dos.zip
    File size
    277.88 KiB
    Downloads
    409 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 12, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-04-30, 22:50:

I extracted the DOS drivers from the Audigy 1 package you linked to for you and zipped them up .
Reading Sbeset.txt should help you get started .

Many thanks Darry, I will give those a try!

Reply 8 of 12, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought I should follow up on this as there was some missing parts that I managed to piece together. I was still having issues from files missing to no config files etc.

The drivers above and the ones from the Audigy CD rom seemed to be missing two components.

Struggling to get SB16 Emulation working with Audigy 2ZS in Win98
http://wysiwyg.bg/music%5Fsoftware/drivers/so … /sblive/DOSDRV/
http://files.creative.com/manualdn/Manuals/TS … 787/english.pdf

These pages led me to the these two files that needed to be packaged with these drivers/apps.

CTSYN.INI (goes to the C:\Windows directory)
DEFAULT.ECW (goes into the DOSDRV folder, also open the CTSYN .ini to edit folder path of the SBdrivers DOSDRV etc)

Thanks again for your help, I will package these up at somepoint and leave them here if anyone needs to do the same.
Cheers
Mitch

Attachments

• IMG-7911.jpg
    Filename
    IMG-7911.jpg
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG-7912.jpg
    Filename
    IMG-7912.jpg
    File size
    1.08 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 9 of 12, by realbadpainting

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lackofpatience wrote on 2020-05-11, 09:17:
I thought I should follow up on this as there was some missing parts that I managed to piece together. I was still having issue […]
Show full quote

I thought I should follow up on this as there was some missing parts that I managed to piece together. I was still having issues from files missing to no config files etc.

The drivers above and the ones from the Audigy CD rom seemed to be missing two components.

Struggling to get SB16 Emulation working with Audigy 2ZS in Win98
http://wysiwyg.bg/music%5Fsoftware/drivers/so … /sblive/DOSDRV/
http://files.creative.com/manualdn/Manuals/TS … 787/english.pdf

These pages led me to the these two files that needed to be packaged with these drivers/apps.

CTSYN.INI (goes to the C:\Windows directory)
DEFAULT.ECW (goes into the DOSDRV folder, also open the CTSYN .ini to edit folder path of the SBdrivers DOSDRV etc)

Thanks again for your help, I will package these up at somepoint and leave them here if anyone needs to do the same.
Cheers
Mitch

Hey Mitch, I was wondering if you would mind packaging these up and maybe writing up a total noob tutorial on how I can make this work? I'm having the same issue - I've got a Sound Blaster Audigy Gold (SB0090) installed on my 98 machine. Works great with Windows games but I can't get anything DOS-based to run. I'm trying to play old Build engine games from GOG releases with no luck!

Reply 10 of 12, by _StIwY_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So the Audigy 1 is basically like the Live! on both compatibility and audio quality overall ? I just got an SB0090 ( Audigy 1 indeed ). I read also that is the latest Creative card which had the SB16 Emulation DOS drivers included.

Reply 11 of 12, by RedSarg99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed the dos drivers never loaded due to a pci card being detected. When I switched the bios to manage all resources it seem to resource the ISA to pci resource conflict which the driver might be detecting. This is for a audigy on win95.

Reply 12 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
_StIwY_ wrote on 2023-05-15, 15:09:

So the Audigy 1 is basically like the Live! on both compatibility and audio quality overall ? I just got an SB0090 ( Audigy 1 indeed ). I read also that is the latest Creative card which had the SB16 Emulation DOS drivers included.

Pretty much, Think of it as Live! version 2
Biggest difference is you get EAX 3 support. (Live! is limited to EAX2) in theory it should sound cleaner/better but not sure if this is noticeable in the real world.
Windows drivers are also a little less boated.
For dos I doubt anyone will notice any difference between the 2 cards.