VOGONS

First post, by Apolonius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there.

I want to connect some modules to a Thin Client DOS based but, the sound card I use is the VIA VT8231 thanks to VIASBCFG.

So I have these options to connect the modules to the PC, via USB, COM port or Parallel port.
Through the USB port I have not idea how to do it, I suppose that there is no cable USB -> MIDI with DOS drivers so is discarded. Is there a chance to connect it through COM or Parallel ports?.

And for Windows 98, is there any chance to connect it with the UM-ONE MKII?, officially the driver for this cable don't support W98, but I don't know if is there a custom driver or anyhing else. I have to buy some old cables with compatibility on W98?.

Regards.

Reply 1 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Apolonius wrote on 2020-06-14, 18:03:
Hi there. […]
Show full quote

Hi there.

I want to connect some modules to a Thin Client DOS based but, the sound card I use is the VIA VT8231 thanks to VIASBCFG.

So I have these options to connect the modules to the PC, via USB, COM port or Parallel port.
Through the USB port I have not idea how to do it, I suppose that there is no cable USB -> MIDI with DOS drivers so is discarded. Is there a chance to connect it through COM or Parallel ports?.

And for Windows 98, is there any chance to connect it with the UM-ONE MKII?, officially the driver for this cable don't support W98, but I don't know if is there a custom driver or anyhing else. I have to buy some old cables with compatibility on W98?.

Regards.

Softmpu lets you use a serial link under DOS while emulating an MPU-401. As for Windows, Roland has a Windows 9x serial MIDI driver http://static.roland.com/support_archive/en/S … _readme_en.html .

EDIT: IMHO, there is no point in going USB for this(which only works in Windows) if serial can work under both DOS and Windows .

EDIT2: This is the serial cable you would need . https://github.com/bjt42/softmpu/issues/12 You may need to build it yourself . Roland used to sell one too, if you can find it .

Reply 2 of 12, by Apolonius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-06-14, 18:16:
Softmpu lets you use a serial link under DOS while emulating an MPU-401. As for Windows, Roland has a Windows 9x serial MIDI dri […]
Show full quote
Hi there. […]
Show full quote

Hi there.

Regards.

Softmpu lets you use a serial link under DOS while emulating an MPU-401. As for Windows, Roland has a Windows 9x serial MIDI driver http://static.roland.com/support_archive/en/S … _readme_en.html .

EDIT: IMHO, there is no point in going USB for this(which only works in Windows) if serial can work under both DOS and Windows .

EDIT2: This is the serial cable you would need . https://github.com/bjt42/softmpu/issues/12 You may need to build it yourself . Roland used to sell one too, if you can find it .

Thanks, tomorrow I'll go to buy the components for make the cable, I have the DIN5 connector and the cable, only need the DB9 connector to build it, thanks!.
So with that driver from Roland and the cable for Win98 and SoftMPU and the cable for DOS I can connect the modules and start using without problems? yay! 😀

Regards.

Reply 3 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Apolonius wrote on 2020-06-14, 18:37:
Thanks, tomorrow I'll go to buy the components for make the cable, I have the DIN5 connector and the cable, only need the DB9 co […]
Show full quote
Softmpu lets you use a serial link under DOS while emulating an MPU-401. As for Windows, Roland has a Windows 9x serial MIDI dri […]
Show full quote
Hi there. […]
Show full quote

Hi there.

Regards.

Thanks, tomorrow I'll go to buy the components for make the cable, I have the DIN5 connector and the cable, only need the DB9 connector to build it, thanks!.
So with that driver from Roland and the cable for Win98 and SoftMPU and the cable for DOS I can connect the modules and start using without problems? yay! 😀

Regards.

Obviously, your specific module (which you did not mention) needs to have a serial MIDI input, you can't just plug it into a regular MIDI-IN (many of the older Rolands do have serial input, AKA RS-232, not the MT-32, though).
It should then indeed work, but I have not tried that myself, though I have heard of it working for others . Roland usually also included pinouts for their serial cables in the manuals for their various modules . To be 100% sure of the pinout to use, you should check in the manual.

EDIT : even if the module you want to use does not have an RS-232 MIDI in, there are adapters that will let you convert between the two . Recent ones are mainly targeted at things like Arduinos but should work for your purpose with minor (if any) modification .

Reply 4 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking at your other posts, you seem to have a Roland RA-50 , which does not have a serial RS-232 MIDI in that you could hook up to a PC COM port .

If you still want to go down the serial RS-232 route, I see 2 options.

a) Get on of those MIDI to RS-232 adapters
b) get another Roland module that has a serial RS-232 MIDI in and can pass the MIDI received to the MIDI through port and connect that port to the RA-50 .

EDIT : I sent you a PM regarding this to make sure you get the heads-up regarding this ASAP .

Reply 5 of 12, by Apolonius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-06-14, 18:42:
Obviously, your specific module (which you did not mention) needs to have a serial MIDI input, you can't just plug it into a reg […]
Show full quote
Thanks, tomorrow I'll go to buy the components for make the cable, I have the DIN5 connector and the cable, only need the DB9 co […]
Show full quote

Regards.

Obviously, your specific module (which you did not mention) needs to have a serial MIDI input, you can't just plug it into a regular MIDI-IN (many of the older Rolands do have serial input, AKA RS-232, not the MT-32, though).
It should then indeed work, but I have not tried that myself, though I have heard of it working for others . Roland usually also included pinouts for their serial cables in the manuals for their various modules . To be 100% sure of the pinout to use, you should check in the manual.

EDIT : even if the module you want to use does not have an RS-232 MIDI in, there are adapters that will let you convert between the two . Recent ones are mainly targeted at things like Arduinos but should work for your purpose with minor (if any) modification .

Thanks again, well I have an MT32 coming to home on the next 2 weeks, just bought yesterday and I have to wait the shipment and taxes...

But with me I have:

From Roland: CM-64, SC-55, SC8850, and JV1010
From Yamaha: Mu 80 and MU 1000
From Casio: GZ50M
From Korg: 05R/W
From Akai: SG01K

And I have a SD-90 on my point of view but well, the actual prices don't help hehe.

darry wrote on 2020-06-14, 18:59:
Looking at your other posts, you seem to have a Roland RA-50 , which does not have a serial RS-232 MIDI in that you could hook u […]
Show full quote

Looking at your other posts, you seem to have a Roland RA-50 , which does not have a serial RS-232 MIDI in that you could hook up to a PC COM port .

b) get another Roland module that has a serial RS-232 MIDI in and can pass the MIDI received to the MIDI through port and connect that port to the RA-50 .

EDIT : I sent you a PM regarding this to make sure you get the heads-up regarding this ASAP .

Finally I wasn't bought the RA-50, just appeared a good offer for a MT-32 and I just bought that.

Regards.

Reply 6 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Apolonius wrote on 2020-06-14, 19:10:
Thanks again, well I have an MT32 coming to home on the next 2 weeks, just bought yesterday and I have to wait the shipment and […]
Show full quote
Obviously, your specific module (which you did not mention) needs to have a serial MIDI input, you can't just plug it into a reg […]
Show full quote

Regards.

Thanks again, well I have an MT32 coming to home on the next 2 weeks, just bought yesterday and I have to wait the shipment and taxes...

But with me I have:

And I have a SD-90 on my point of view but well, the actual prices don't help hehe.

Looking at your other posts, you seem to have a Roland RA-50 , which does not have a serial RS-232 MIDI in that you could hook u […]
Show full quote

Hi!.

Finally I wasn't bought the RA-50, just appeared a good offer for a MT-32 and I just bought that.

Regards.

Nice .
Be sure to get the proper mini-din connector then, and not a DIN-5 .

If my understanding of the SC-8850 manual is correct, data sent from the PC over the serial cable will be sent out over MIDI out 1 .

EDIT: A MIDI splitter might also be useful if you intend to have all those modules connected at once .

Reply 7 of 12, by Apolonius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-06-14, 19:21:
Nice . Be sure to get the proper mini-din connector then, and not a DIN-5 . […]
Show full quote
Thanks again, well I have an MT32 coming to home on the next 2 weeks, just bought yesterday and I have to wait the shipment and […]
Show full quote

But with me I have:

Show full quote

Hi!.

Regards.

Nice .

If my understanding of the SC-8850 manual is correct, data sent from the PC over the serial cable will be sent out over MIDI out 1 .

EDIT: A MIDI splitter might also be useful if you intend to have all those modules connected at once .

Yeah I have saw, it's an 8 pin connector... ok then.
So the SC8850 have to pass through the others modules.

I have a mini pasive mixer with 4 stereo channels to manage 4 modules (the most used), but all this day I have searching for a better option and have seen a Behringer Xenyx 1622 with 4 stereo channels + 4 mono channels (that I will use as two stereo), and 1 aux in where will be plugged the mini pasive mixer to manage the modules that not have room directly on the Behringer.

This is my mini mixer: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07LGVYKDQ/r … 1?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is the mixer table: https://www.thomann.de/es/behringer_xenyx_x1622_usb.htm
This is the cheap option: https://www.thomann.de/es/behringer_xenyx_1202.htm

Possibly I will buy the cheap option but will search for second hand on the Xenyx 1622.

Regards.

Reply 8 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Apolonius wrote on 2020-06-14, 19:37:
Yeah I have saw, it's an 8 pin connector... ok then. So the SC8850 have to pass through the others modules. […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2020-06-14, 19:21:
Nice . Be sure to get the proper mini-din connector then, and not a DIN-5 . […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

But with me I have:

Hi!.

Regards.

Nice .

Yeah I have saw, it's an 8 pin connector... ok then.
So the SC8850 have to pass through the others modules.

I have a mini pasive mixer with 4 stereo channels to manage 4 modules (the most used), but all this day I have searching for a better option and have seen a Behringer Xenyx 1622 with 4 stereo channels + 4 mono channels (that I will use as two stereo), and 1 aux in where will be plugged the mini pasive mixer to manage the modules that not have room directly on the Behringer.

This is my mini mixer: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07LGVYKDQ/r … 1?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is the mixer table: https://www.thomann.de/es/behringer_xenyx_x1622_usb.htm
This is the cheap option: https://www.thomann.de/es/behringer_xenyx_1202.htm

Possibly I will buy the cheap option but will search for second hand on the Xenyx 1622.

Regards.

I agree that the need for a mixer is pretty much a given . I use an old Akai DPS-12 multi-track recorder and a 4-input component audio/video switch (not going to listen to more that one module at once) for my 3 sound card and 3 module setup .

Just to be clear, by MIDI splitter (or MIDI-through box), I was referring to something like one of these (not endorsements) https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIt … idi-through-box or https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIt … idi-through-box in order to avoid cascading a gazillion modules, not all of which likely have MIDI through anyway .

I only have three MIDI modules in my retro setup (MT32 ,SC88VL and MU500) and use a Midisport 2x4 in passive mode with one of it's outputs looped back, which gives me a 1x3 MIDI splitter (through box) .

Have fun!

Reply 9 of 12, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

But with me I have:

As mentioned, you'll need a MIDI splitter (or MIDI patchbay) to have all those modules connected at once. It's not recommended to cascade more than three modules off each other.

Reply 10 of 12, by Apolonius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
yawetaG wrote on 2020-06-15, 05:55:
Show full quote

But with me I have:

As mentioned, you'll need a MIDI splitter (or MIDI patchbay) to have all those modules connected at once. It's not recommended to cascade more than three modules off each other.

Hello!.

I have chained five modules at a time with no problems at all.
This MIDI thru is what you refer? https://www.thomann.de/es/kenton_midi_thru_12 … nZSI6ImVzIn0%3D
Or this one could works too? https://www.thomann.de/es/kenton_merge_8.htm

Regards.

Reply 11 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Apolonius wrote on 2020-06-15, 08:09:
Hello!. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

But with me I have:

Hello!.

This MIDI thru is what you refer? https://www.thomann.de/es/kenton_midi_thru_12 … nZSI6ImVzIn0%3D

Regards.

The first one in this post is an example of what would you need (MIDI THRU) for 1 MIDI source for up to 12 MIDI modules .

The second one is a MIDI merge, which is not what you need, it would allow using up to 8 different MIDI sources with up to 2 modules .

Reply 12 of 12, by Apolonius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-06-15, 09:02:
Apolonius wrote on 2020-06-15, 08:09:
Hello!. […]
Show full quote

Hello!.

Regards.

The first one in this post is an example of what would you need (MIDI THRU) for 1 MIDI source for up to 12 MIDI modules .

The second one is a MIDI merge, which is not what you need, it would allow using up to 8 different MIDI sources with up to 2 modules .

Thanks!.

Then I'll start to seach on the second hand market first... MT-32, Mixer table, cables, adaptors, now the MIDI thru... my wallet is crying hehe.