VOGONS

First post, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry if it's old news, but just stumbled upon this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313842685211

While I'm rather confident I could build one from scratch, this looks like a good deal, icluding the toslink. Any experience here?

I like jumpers.

Reply 3 of 6, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2022-03-14, 20:56:

Eh way to expensive. Any old toslink bracket should be easy to wire up.

Thanks, I get the sentiment, but then again - it's both that and coax in one clean, piece ready to install.

Not to contemplate the exchange rate between Chinese and German work-hours too much, but let's assume it's nice to have - will it work, to hook up an old Onkyo surround amp?

I like jumpers.

Reply 4 of 6, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-03-14, 21:00:

The card CAN be used with TOSLINK, but probably not that adapter.

AWE64 Gold Alternate S/PDIF Signal

Thanks for the heads up, I'll figure it out!

I like jumpers.

Reply 5 of 6, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently built one. It was easy as pie, despite my soldering skills being pretty mediocre.

Don't expect too much from the SPDIF output though. You'll be able to record AWE music just fine, but digitized sounds won't go through SPDIF unless the game specifically uses 16-bit 44.1 kHz sound samples.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 6, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-03-14, 22:10:

digitized sounds won't go through SPDIF unless the game specifically uses 16-bit 44.1 kHz sound samples.

...which will rarely happen in contemporary games as even Half-Life stuck to 8 bit 11 kHz, IIRC.

I see... sounds like some fancy feature on a creative labs card. Like, 16 bit sound per se with the added bonus of not being fully backwards compatible to SB pro. Wow.
Thanks!

I like jumpers.