VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wanted to find a simple way to test FM and digital sound without having to start up a game. I found a great test program from Adlib for FM, and a program "plany" which can play a WAV file for verifying Sound Blaster digital sound. Of course, I needed a sound clip to play, and I couldn't think of anything better than "Your sound card works perfectly!" from the Warcraft 2 setup.

I would love to hear how other people test their sound cards. My normal go-to is Duke Nukem 3D setup, but in this case I wanted something that I could quickly run from the command line.

Attachments

• Filename
    Adlib FM Test.zip
    File size
    8.19 KiB
    Downloads
    33 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    plany15.zip
    File size
    31.5 KiB
    Downloads
    33 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    Perfectly.zip
    File size
    75.2 KiB
    Downloads
    33 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 2, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I test my sound cards on the basis of whatever I am using it for. Typically this will be a battery of games and/or music players. I perform different tests for different types of audio output (digital audio, MIDI playback, CD-audio, etc.).

I've found there is no single test that indicates how well a card may perform under all scenarios. In some cases, cards may perform differently or not even work at all with certain software / games.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 2, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My go-to test has been setup of Duke3D, it can make sound with SB, FM and MPU without too much fuss and can hint to possible problems too (DMA or IRQ problem).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜