VOGONS

First post, by H.W.Necromancer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hallo Vogons,

please help to find more details and drivers fir this sound card.
According the FCC ID the card was mase by Britek Electronics most likely about the year 1995.
I even have a list of the driver files, but the file is not available anymore and there is only some crapware on the download site..
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited by Dominus on 2023-01-23, 08:07. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo in subject

Reply 1 of 7, by H.W.Necromancer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

List of files - most likely correct but can not find any place to download

Attachments

Reply 2 of 7, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found it in there https://archive.org/details/xxxxxxx-drivers.com

Attachments

• Filename
    4x4win31-9x.zip
    File size
    688.02 KiB
    Downloads
    42 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 3 of 7, by H.W.Necromancer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2023-01-22, 17:42:

Thank you!! I owe a drink to you and a bottle to the guy who did the job and saved the files.
Hope the card works, but it was found in a sligtly damaged PC with almost all the parts excpet HDD, so there is chance it did not suffered any damage.
Thank you again. I think there might be a lot of good stuff in those archives!

Reply 4 of 7, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H.W.Necromancer wrote on 2023-01-22, 18:20:

Thank you!! I owe a drink to you and a bottle to the guy who did the job and saved the files.

Deksor did all the job, story here: Re: Link Repository for Vintage PC Driver\Documentation Archives, FTPs, Websites

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 5 of 7, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lolo799 wrote on 2023-01-22, 22:26:

Deksor did all the job, story here: Re: Link Repository for Vintage PC Driver\Documentation Archives, FTPs, Websites

I'm so glad to see that thread being used!!!

Nice job locating the drivers!

Also... what the heck is this thing? I don't recognize the design at all. The CODEC is the same Sierra Semiconductor one that is found on Prometheus Aria16:
Re: diamond computer systems sound card ISA

Which is already a very obscure card... but then this has an ASC Trouper 4x4 chip as well... none of which sounds even remotely familiar.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 6 of 7, by H.W.Necromancer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-01-23, 03:06:
I'm so glad to see that thread being used!!! […]
Show full quote
lolo799 wrote on 2023-01-22, 22:26:

I'm so glad to see that thread being used!!!

Nice job locating the drivers!

Also... what the heck is this thing? I don't recognize the design at all. The CODEC is the same Sierra Semiconductor one that is found on Prometheus Aria16:
Re: diamond computer systems sound card ISA

Which is already a very obscure card... but then this has an ASC Trouper 4x4 chip as well... none of which sounds even remotely familiar.

I really don ´t know more than we already have here. The drivers works and it sounds nice and clear. Works under Windows 98Se as well. Genuine Yamaha OPL3 is a bonus. It has a "jack" for a remote volume controll which I don ´t know how does it look like. It has some software midi player on the disk but this is usless for the games - you can just play a file.

Reply 7 of 7, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very interesting card. PCB layout reminds me of an OPTi 929 based card (OPTi MAD16Pro) I have in my collection. Maybe the ICs are just rebranded? Diamond did this as an example with Avance Logic ALS007 IC. But if so, the large square ICs should be an AD1848 or Crystal CS4232. But there's also a third IC, the Intel 8051 microcontroller I cannot relate to anything.