SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97

Topic actions

Reply 580 of 1359, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
georgel wrote on 2023-04-23, 12:52:

Different versions of QEMM (7 to 9 are usable for SBEMU) are available on REMOVED

VOGONS has strict policies on copyrighted software. That's why I didn't want post the link here. And that's what I like VOGONS for. 😁

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 - YMF744, Savage IX
Toshiba Satellite 2805-S501 - YMF754, GeForce 2Go
IBM Thinkpad A21p - CS4624, Mobility Radeon 128
main: Intel NUC11PHKi7C Phantom Canyon: i7-1165G7 RTX2060 64G 2T760PSDD

Reply 581 of 1359, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Biomecanoid wrote on 2023-04-26, 11:18:
Hello guys, […]
Show full quote

Hello guys,

I have 2 old Netbooks:

Acer Aspire One
Samsung NC110P

They are way too slow for any version of windows or Linux ( and man I sure have tried ) So I have formatted them with FreeDOS and I can run games now on it like Duke Nukem and the such but without any sound.

I am trying to replicated this setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8paUeyBUeo

I used HX extender 1.7 and I was able to run DOSBOX but still no sound

Then I tried HX 2.20 with VSBHDA and DOSBOX wont even load

What can I be doing wrong ?

I can provide you with all the information you need

Thank you
Chris

Both SBEMU and VSBHDA can run (a set of) DOS games natively with sound, you don't need DOSBox in DOS, can you try the games directly in DOS?

Reply 582 of 1359, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baron von Riedesel wrote on 2023-04-26, 18:22:
I have a MB with VIA VT8237R+ and volume was also too low. […]
Show full quote
MBH wrote on 2023-04-26, 16:53:

Anyone else?

I have a MB with VIA VT8237R+ and volume was also too low.

One problem is that the VIA chips - at least the VT823x ones - have 3 knobs for the volume: 2 AC97 "volumes" - for "MASTER" and "PCM" - and a VIA specific volume ( DXS or so ).
Another problem is that the "DXS" volume is supposed to be 5-bits wide, but at least for the 8235 and 8237, it's 6 bits, according to the data sheets.

I "fixed" the problem by setting the "PCM" and "DXS" volumes to 100% and only the "MASTER" is changed by the /VOL option.

I didn't experience any "distortion" issue, though.

I did set all out mixers to maximum using AU_setmixer_outs, and then use master for volume, do I need to set pcm/dxs individually?

I cannot test the VT8233 volume for now because I use a projector with HDPMI to output the signal, the projector itself has volume control working.

Reply 583 of 1359, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mgtroyas wrote on 2023-04-26, 18:23:

I just tested it on my "modern" Z270 i5-7600k system. It works the same, what's more, Prehistorik 2 has perfect sound and music. On my ICH6 Pentium M laptop it has very distorted sound.

Can you post the ICH6 sound card info with SBEMU /scl switch?
the /SCL only works on the first run.

Reply 584 of 1359, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazii wrote on 2023-04-26, 22:26:
mgtroyas wrote on 2023-04-25, 18:03:
If support can be extended to additional devices, Pentium III/M Toshiba laptops use this AC sound card: ULi/ALi M5451 AC-Link Co […]
Show full quote

If support can be extended to additional devices, Pentium III/M Toshiba laptops use this AC sound card:
ULi/ALi M5451 AC-Link Contoller Audio Device
The motherboard is a:
ULi/ALi M1644 CyberALLADDiN

I have a P2010 with a Pentium III 866MHz and would love to test this.

There's no driver in MPXPlay for that. I have a Toshiba Portege 2000 laptop with the Ali M1535, CyberAlladdin-T board. it's not working last time I tested. I'd like to debug it but it's not with me right now and it's too slow compiling code on the machine.

The ALi M5451 audio core found in the M1535 series of south bridges are based of an actual sound card, the Trident 4DWave. Might this be an issue? The Trident 4DWave itself are capable of emulating Sound Blaster 16/Pro under DOS but I have never seen an initializer for the M5451 (the SiS 7018 which are also based on the 4DWave do have an initilizer/driver for DOS).

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 585 of 1359, by MBH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Baron von Riedesel wrote on 2023-04-26, 18:22:
I have a MB with VIA VT8237R+ and volume was also too low. […]
Show full quote
MBH wrote on 2023-04-26, 16:53:

Anyone else?

I have a MB with VIA VT8237R+ and volume was also too low.

One problem is that the VIA chips - at least the VT823x ones - have 3 knobs for the volume: 2 AC97 "volumes" - for "MASTER" and "PCM" - and a VIA specific volume ( DXS or so ).
Another problem is that the "DXS" volume is supposed to be 5-bits wide, but at least for the 8235 and 8237, it's 6 bits, according to the data sheets.

I "fixed" the problem by setting the "PCM" and "DXS" volumes to 100% and only the "MASTER" is changed by the /VOL option.

I didn't experience any "distortion" issue, though.

Do you have an already compiled binary witch this change? I want to try if it solves my problem.

Reply 586 of 1359, by tabs12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i want play commander keen series but only 3 first games works but use only pc speaker
when sbmu is loaded commander keen 4 and 5 are stuck on intiazinig screen commandor keen 6 wont event start and commaner keen dreams not see sound blaster only see adlib idk why and pc speaker
sbemu is instaled on c:\ witout any folder

my autoexc.bat
jload.exe qpiemu.dll
hdpmi32i.exe -r -x
sbemu.exe
LH C:\driver\mouse\MOUSE.COM
LH C:\driver\mouse\OGONKI.COM
LH C:\stuff\NC\NC.EXE

and my config.sys

device=jemmex.exe
dos=high,umb
device=c:\windows\himem.sys
files=8
stacks=8,32
lastdrive=e

Reply 588 of 1359, by tabs12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MBH wrote on 2023-04-27, 12:13:

Delete
device=c:\windows\himem.sys
in your config.sys please. Then post the output of SBEMU after startup.

I don't know if it matters but I boot dos from a 30GB usb drive on a laptop with 512mb ram
ok i removed device=c:\windows\himem.sys

output is

JmmEX v5.84 [02/06/23]
System memory found at e000-e3ff, region might be in use
Warning: no suitable page frame found, EMS functions limited.
JemmEx loaded

C:\>jload.exe qpiemu.dll
Jload: 'qpiemu.dll' loaded succesfully

c:\>hdpmi321.exe -r -x
HDPMI32 now resident

c:\>sbemu.exe
SBEMU: sound Blaster emulation on AC97. Version: 1.0 beta3
Found sound card: ICH AC97
Real mode support: enabled.
Protect mode support : enabled.
OPL 3 emulation enabled at port 388h.
Sound Blaster Pro emulation enabled at Adress: 220, IRQ: 7, DMA: 1

Reply 589 of 1359, by MBH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks ok to me. Should just work. You can try to move the IRQ to 5 with SBEMU.exe /i5 and test if that helps. I don't know about the messages from jemmex, I don't have them. Maybe Baron von Riedesel can tell if that's a problem. But I don't think so, at least for SBEMU. If your games need EMS, than it's probably a problem. You can post the output of "mem" also.

Reply 591 of 1359, by tabs12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MBH wrote on 2023-04-27, 18:26:

Looks ok to me. Should just work. You can try to move the IRQ to 5 with SBEMU.exe /i5 and test if that helps. I don't know about the messages from jemmex, I don't have them. Maybe Baron von Riedesel can tell if that's a problem. But I don't think so, at least for SBEMU. If your games need EMS, than it's probably a problem. You can post the output of "mem" also.

output od mem

Attachments

Reply 592 of 1359, by Baron von Riedesel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MBH wrote on 2023-04-27, 18:26:

Maybe Baron von Riedesel can tell if that's a problem. But I don't think so, at least for SBEMU. If your games need EMS, than it's probably a problem. You can post the output of "mem" also.

Adding the NOEMS to jemmex if it cannot allocate a page frame is a good idea, since quite a few programs have problems with EMS being active, but without a frame.

Also, I'd remove that "STACKS 8,32" line. IIRC, it's no problem for MS-DOS 7, because that DOS will automatically increase stack size to 128, but other DOS versions might be less "smart".

Reply 593 of 1359, by tabs12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
L4MD4 wrote on 2023-04-27, 22:17:
tabs12 wrote on 2023-04-27, 11:08:

i want play commander keen series but only 3 first games works

Also, maybe add the NOEMS option to JEMMEX.

thanks adding NOEMS to JEMMEX fixed problems whit commander keen

Reply 594 of 1359, by mgoulart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings,

I'm using SBEMU in my thin client (HP t5570) it's working fantastic in some games. But I'm facing a problem when I try to play network games.
My HP has a Broadcom B57780 driver and I can play network games (using IPX - IPXODI) sucessfully.

When I try to play network games using SBEMU, all the games that I tested got crashed (Doom, Doom II and Duke Nukem 3D). When I play single player (without load Broadcom drivers and IPXODI) the game works perfectly and when I play multiplayer game (without load SBEMU but loading Broadcom driver and IPXODI) the game works prefectly.

I tried to change IRQ, DMA, High DMA, SB Type, IO, use NOVCPI parameter,... Nothing works... It looks like that SBEMU and Broadcom drivers or IPXODI have any kind of incompatibility.

Is there any thing that I can test here in order to get network games with sound?

Thank you so much!

Reply 597 of 1359, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My short report focusing on media players. Setup: 550Mhz Celeron on MS-6368 v2.1A (VIA PLE133 - VT82C686B south bridge)
This one has native SB Pro support with poor FM TSR, so I was focusing on SB16 emulation.

FM:
- RAD player - OK
- AT2 (Adlib Tracker 2) - Crashes with abnormal error msg

Tracker/Players:
- Impulse Tracker 2 - OK
- Morgul - OK
- Inertia player - OK
- XTC-Player - Did not start, couldn't detect card
- Cubic Player 2.0+ - couldn't detect card (forced type 4 in ini)

Sidenote: When I enabled SBEMU as SBPro I got "chipmunk speed mode" , everything played back 2x faster (Impulse tracker and also games)

Reply 598 of 1359, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. This post by user ITzTravelInTime confirms Audigy RX PCIe to work in MPXPlay presumably due to the fact that it is derived from Audigy 2.
Would this card work with SBEMU?

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 599 of 1359, by ave369

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I did a test with MPXPLAY, and the result was the same as with SBEMU. The software works perfectly, with no error messages, but no sound. The output on my display is as if it is playing an MP3 file, with waving levels and stuff, but no music plays. This is the same kind of issue I have with SBEMU: all drivers load correctly, but no sound plays.

Here are my system specs and configs.

AMD Ryzen 3 (Summit Ridge), ASRock A320M-DGS motherboard, audio detected as HDA. FreeDOS 1.3

IRQ 5, DMA 1. Attempting to set IRQ as 7 caused crashes, at IRQ 5 it works pretty stable... but no actual sound comes out. The programs output okay messages as they load, everything is booted, everything is detected, but no actual sound. Tested in Doom 2 and Duke Nukem 3D. Duke's SETUP recognizes the Sound Blaster and displays no error messages at "Test Sound FX" or "Test Music". But no sound at all. Tried both soft reboot and power off, no difference.

Here are my Config.SYS

!LASTDRIVE=Z
!BUFFERS=20
!FILES=40
!MENUCOLOR=7,0

MENUDEFAULT=1,5
MENU 1 - Load FreeDOS with JEMMEX, no EMS (most UMBs), max RAM free
MENU 2 - Load FreeDOS with JEMM386 (Expanded Memory)
MENU 3 - Load FreeDOS low with some drivers (Safe Mode)
MENU 4 - Load FreeDOS without drivers (Emergency Mode)

12?DOS=HIGH
12?DOS=UMB
12?DOSDATA=UMB
1?DEVICE=C:\SNDINIT\JEMMEX.EXE NOEMS X=TEST I=B000-B7FF
234?DEVICE=C:\FREEDOS\BIN\HIMEMX.EXE
2?DEVICE=C:\FREEDOS\BIN\JEMM386.EXE X=TEST I=TEST I=B000-B7FF NOVME NOINVLPG
34?SHELL=C:\FREEDOS\BIN\COMMAND.COM C:\FREEDOS\BIN /E:1024 /P=C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
12?SHELLHIGH=C:\FREEDOS\BIN\COMMAND.COM C:\FREEDOS\BIN /E:1024 /P=C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT

Autoexec.bat:

@echo off
set PATH=C:\FREEDOS;C:\FREEDOS\BIN;C:\FREEDOS\LINKS;C:\SNDINIT
set DIRCMD=/P /OGN /Y
set COPYCMD=/-Y
set LANG=EN
set TZ=EST
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330
set OS_NAME=FreeDOS
set OS_VERSION=1.3-RC4
alias reboot=fdapm warmboot
alias reset=fdisk /reboot
alias halt=fdapm poweroff
alias shutdown=fdapm poweroff
rem alias cfg=edit %cfgfile%
rem alias auto=edit %0
set LANGFILE=%NLSPATH%\FDLIVE.%LANG%
if not exist %LANGFILE% SET LANGFILE=%0
LH FDAPM
LH CTMOUSE
jload c:\sndinit\qpiemu.dll
hdpmi32i -r -x
sbemu
c:\vc\vc

C:\SNDINIT is the directory where SBEMU is.