SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97

Topic actions

Reply 540 of 1359, by MBH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
crazii wrote on 2023-04-23, 10:37:
MBH wrote on 2023-04-23, 10:16:
Maybe I used the wrong word. It just freeze with playing the last sound. There is no error message and Ctrl+Alt+Del is not worki […]
Show full quote
crazii wrote on 2023-04-23, 07:55:

BTW what's the crash message?

Maybe I used the wrong word. It just freeze with playing the last sound. There is no error message and Ctrl+Alt+Del is not working. I have to switch off the IGEL, because it lacks a reset Button. The time or situation when this happens is different each time. Sometimes it freeze in intro of Duke3d, sometimes I can play several minutes. Same happens with Quake. Without SBEMU, and because of that without sound, I can play for hours.

Thanks for testing again on your machine.

Edit: I don't know if it's helpful. But I "think" the voice of Duke is a little slow. Maybe 20%. But I can't tell for sure.

The duke voice is playing good here... I'm afraid that I need a real machine to debug it. that might help, or not. but it always involves another debug machine. 🤣

As I already told you, I want to buy this machine for you. I always have a really bad feeling, if someone has to spend money just for helping me! My machine is "IGEL 4210 LX", and it's all VIA inside.

Edit:
https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/Igel/4210/

The Mainboard is WinNET P680, which is also used in
https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/neoware/CA22/

Edit2: Wait! I think I found the (my) problem. As I'm using a notebook for DOS too, and they share the same config, I've copied the "problem" from one to another. On the notebook I'm using power.exe to stop the fan from spinning all the time. That's causing the problem on the IGEL with SBEMU. Without SBEMU (and without hdpmi32i of course), power.exe makes no problem. But with, it will freeze after some time. Played the first level of Duke3d without any crash/freeze. Will do some more tests, but it looks like that's the problem. For the duke voice, maybe I just can't remember it right. Probably it's right how it is.

Reply 542 of 1359, by MBH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, it was power.exe for sure. Quake demo is running almost one and a half hour in loop now, no more freezes.

Sorry for confusing you crazii and sorry for blaming your wonderful piece of software. It was my fault for not checking everything possible.

As for power.exe, I don't need it on this machine. And the notebook has an solo1 soundcard, so I don't need SBEMU there. But for other notebook users it may be an interesting solution for lower CPU temp. Maybe you can have a look for it, if you have some spare time.

Reply 543 of 1359, by Tigoro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Used manual from https://www.jamesfmackenzie.com/2023/03/22/ho … able-usb-stick/
I tried a little, SBEMU at Asus E2KM11 DELUXE mini-motheboard "all integrated" (AMD Radeon HD 7340 & Realtek ALC898 - ok for windows xp and VDM Sound).
SB Pro + OPL FM passed 😀 Some software and games ok. Some games and soft - no sound or big noise.
Soft reboot = no emulation, required power off system full.

Reply 544 of 1359, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, I didn't want to cause trouble with my question about a source. I don't get along with QEMM anyway. I also don't think it was intended for use under Windows 98's DOS 7.10. I think someone else will have to test the combination of QEMM + SBEMU.

Reply 545 of 1359, by tabs12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi i tested SBEMU 1.0beta3 on laptop hp compaq nc6220 with few games and it work you are legend but i have 3 problems
1 sound is gliching from time to time and i can deal with it
2 i can control volume only in game options not all games have that . volume buttons and mute button on case do nothing evrything is to loud
3 sound is coming from laptop speaker and headphones at same time

for now i unpluged internal speker and i use my DIY headphone box with volume knob to be able to set volume on headphones

Last edited by tabs12 on 2023-04-23, 20:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 546 of 1359, by ave369

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm experiencing difficulties with this software. Here is my specs.

AMD Ryzen 3 (Summit Ridge), ASRock A320M-DGS motherboard, audio detected as HDA. FreeDOS 1.3

IRQ 5, DMA 1. Attempting to set IRQ as 7 caused crashes, at IRQ 5 it works pretty stable... but no actual sound comes out. The programs output okay messages as they load, everything is booted, everything is detected, but no actual sound. Tested in Doom 2 and Duke Nukem 3D. Duke's SETUP recognizes the Sound Blaster and displays no error messages at "Test Sound FX" or "Test Music". But no sound at all. Tried both soft reboot and power off, no difference.

Here are my Config.SYS

!LASTDRIVE=Z
!BUFFERS=20
!FILES=40
!MENUCOLOR=7,0

MENUDEFAULT=1,5
MENU 1 - Load FreeDOS with JEMMEX, no EMS (most UMBs), max RAM free
MENU 2 - Load FreeDOS with JEMM386 (Expanded Memory)
MENU 3 - Load FreeDOS low with some drivers (Safe Mode)
MENU 4 - Load FreeDOS without drivers (Emergency Mode)

12?DOS=HIGH
12?DOS=UMB
12?DOSDATA=UMB
1?DEVICE=C:\SNDINIT\JEMMEX.EXE NOEMS X=TEST I=B000-B7FF
234?DEVICE=C:\FREEDOS\BIN\HIMEMX.EXE
2?DEVICE=C:\FREEDOS\BIN\JEMM386.EXE X=TEST I=TEST I=B000-B7FF NOVME NOINVLPG
34?SHELL=C:\FREEDOS\BIN\COMMAND.COM C:\FREEDOS\BIN /E:1024 /P=C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
12?SHELLHIGH=C:\FREEDOS\BIN\COMMAND.COM C:\FREEDOS\BIN /E:1024 /P=C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT

Autoexec.bat:

@echo off
set PATH=C:\FREEDOS;C:\FREEDOS\BIN;C:\FREEDOS\LINKS;C:\SNDINIT
set DIRCMD=/P /OGN /Y
set COPYCMD=/-Y
set LANG=EN
set TZ=EST
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330
set OS_NAME=FreeDOS
set OS_VERSION=1.3-RC4
alias reboot=fdapm warmboot
alias reset=fdisk /reboot
alias halt=fdapm poweroff
alias shutdown=fdapm poweroff
rem alias cfg=edit %cfgfile%
rem alias auto=edit %0
set LANGFILE=%NLSPATH%\FDLIVE.%LANG%
if not exist %LANGFILE% SET LANGFILE=%0
LH FDAPM
LH CTMOUSE
jload c:\sndinit\qpiemu.dll
hdpmi32i -r -x
sbemu
c:\vc\vc

C:\SNDINIT is the directory where SBEMU is.

What am I doing wrong?

Reply 549 of 1359, by L4MD4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ave369 wrote on 2023-04-23, 20:56:

Yes.

Sorry, didn't read your note at the end; or all instances of Jemmex in CONFIG.SYS.

I imagine you've also tried with just the NOEMS option.

Also, does MPXplay work for you (without SBEMU loaded)?

Reply 552 of 1359, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If support can be extended to additional devices, Pentium III/M Toshiba laptops use this AC sound card:
ULi/ALi M5451 AC-Link Contoller Audio Device
The motherboard is a:
ULi/ALi M1644 CyberALLADDiN

I have a P2010 with a Pentium III 866MHz and would love to test this.

Reply 553 of 1359, by MBH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vico wrote on 2023-04-25, 17:39:

Does anyone else experience that when executing sbemu 1.0 beta3 with the '/K 44100' or '/K 22050' option, the message "Error: Invalid Sample rate" is returned?

Try without the space: /k44100

You don't need 22050, as this is default

Last edited by MBH on 2023-04-25, 20:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 554 of 1359, by L4MD4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone else experience that when executing sbemu 1.0 beta3 with the '/K 44100' or '/K 22050' option, the message "Error: Invalid Sample rate" is returned?

I'm not in front of it, right now; so I can't test it. But did you try without a space? '/K44100'

Reply 555 of 1359, by L4MD4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mgtroyas wrote on 2023-04-25, 18:03:
If support can be extended to additional devices, Pentium III/M Toshiba laptops use this AC sound card: ULi/ALi M5451 AC-Link Co […]
Show full quote

If support can be extended to additional devices, Pentium III/M Toshiba laptops use this AC sound card:
The motherboard is a:

You right, I don't think I see ALi M5451 in there. Maybe the M5455 would be. Have you tried it, or MPXplay?

Reply 556 of 1359, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
L4MD4 wrote on 2023-04-25, 21:34:
mgtroyas wrote on 2023-04-25, 18:03:
If support can be extended to additional devices, Pentium III/M Toshiba laptops use this AC sound card: ULi/ALi M5451 AC-Link Co […]
Show full quote

The motherboard is a:

You right, I don't think I see ALi M5451 in there. Maybe the M5455 would be. Have you tried it, or MPXplay?

When I run sbemu, it complains about no soundcard found:

No soundcard found!
Unknown soundcard (output module) name : NUL

I also tested on my NC6220 and it works there, so I think I'm doing it right.

Reply 557 of 1359, by vico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MBH wrote on 2023-04-25, 20:45:

Try without the space: /k44100

You don't need 22050, as this is default

Thanks

Reply 559 of 1359, by L4MD4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vico wrote on 2023-04-25, 23:00:

It seems the /vol parameter is not working with my SB Live! 5.1, even using /vol0 the sound is very loud. With my integrated AC97 soundcard /vol works fine.

No change at all, or not enough change?