VOGONS

First post, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a thinpad 370c notebook with dock I (3545)

ThinkPad755.jpg

which has only one isa slot and stereo speaker.
I put in already a Soundblaster Pro II CT1600, which is good for opl, sb, sbpro, but no daughterboard, and midi capability.
I need advice what is the best one card solution (except for new orpheus, etc) for compatibility and sound quality for most DOS Games.

What i have this moment:
CT1350 SB , CT1600 SBPRO2 , SB16 many CT1740 too, AWE32 , AWE64 value and Gold, Yamaha SW20PC, SW60XG, Audician, miro pcm10, some aztech, and Opti, gravis classic, and pnp
Daughtercards: db50xg, orchid, terratec, ct1920

Thanks every hint

Reply 1 of 12, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trying to find the best single sound card for DOS will drive a man to drink 😁

But you have a nice range of choices. Personally I would go for the Audician for its great compatibility, real OPL and bug free MIDI.

Reply 2 of 12, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-06-18, 09:47:

Trying to find the best single sound card for DOS will drive a man to drink 😁

But you have a nice range of choices. Personally I would go for the Audician for its great compatibility, real OPL and bug free MIDI.

You can even do the mods to the Audician to fix the reversed stereo channels IIRC there is also another mod to fix the mixer too, doing these mods and combining the card with a Dream Blaster X2GS or a Dream blaster X16GS would make it pretty much a perfect DOS sound card.

Or you could throw the SW60XG in there and use it as the MIDI device, then you free up the gameport on the Audician for a joystick. (Just realised this is for a single ISA slot so the Audician modded on its own is still a solid choice + you could also look into a MT32 or SC55 for external midi)

I run a modded Audician + X2GS in my DOS rig and its ran every game I have thrown at it with zero sound issues, its a solid choice.

Reply 4 of 12, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

(Just realised this is for a single ISA slot so the Audician modded on its own is still a solid choice + you could also look into a MT32 or SC55 for external midi)

That's the way think to connect to yamaha audician a db50xg, because with my thinkpad i dont want to move my roland sc-55.
At home i have a 486dx2+sb pro2+gus classic+midi din out card for sc-55, and another pc for later dos games.

Reply 5 of 12, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
envagyok wrote on 2023-06-18, 13:22:

(Just realised this is for a single ISA slot so the Audician modded on its own is still a solid choice + you could also look into a MT32 or SC55 for external midi)

That's the way think to connect to yamaha audician a db50xg, because with my thinkpad i dont want to move my roland sc-55.
At home i have a 486dx2+sb pro2+gus classic+midi din out card for sc-55, and another pc for later dos games.

The issue might be enough space, usually these base stations only have just enough to accommodate the card, but if there is room for the daughter card along with the Audician then that would be a good option too.

Reply 7 of 12, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2023-06-18, 14:17:
envagyok wrote on 2023-06-18, 13:22:

The issue might be enough space, usually these base stations only have just enough to accommodate the card, but if there is room for the daughter card along with the Audician then that would be a good option too.

That's not an issue. I have an IBM Dock I and can confirm that it can accomodate a full length card with a daughterboard.
I'm using mine with a generic ESS 1688 based card with a Dreamblaster X2 and couldn't be happier with it 😀

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 8 of 12, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The only problem with the Audician is that it's a half height card, so a big DB like a DB50XG won't fit. You can use a ribbon cable but that gets messy.

The X2GS fits it though of course and is a great option.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9 of 12, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2023-06-18, 10:22:

You can even do the mods to the Audician to fix the reversed stereo channels IIRC there is also another mod to fix the mixer too, doing these mods and combining the card with a Dream Blaster X2GS or a Dream blaster X16GS would make it pretty much a perfect DOS sound card.

Where can i find information about this mods?

Reply 10 of 12, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
envagyok wrote on 2023-06-20, 01:20:

In this thread by James-F.

There are three things that you want to do with a YMF71x card. Adjust the mixer settings, restore the low-pass filter and fix the wavetable header. The first one is a simple software tweak, while the latter two are hardware mods. It's well worth it though, and the YMF71x becomes one of the best DOS sound cards after all that.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 11 of 12, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-06-20, 02:55:
envagyok wrote on 2023-06-20, 01:20:

... and fix the wavetable header.

Just a comment on that one - if you have a Dreamblaser X2 (or X2GS and probably other Dreamblaster boards) then you can reverse the stereo output with the provided config software. Easier than a hardware mod.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.